JMich3

New Shooterlooking for training, where too?

I’ve just recently started shooting and I’m interested in taking some classes to become more proficient. I shoot at TTC and was debating taking some classes there. I was just wondering if there’s somewhere that my money will be better spent? I have a limited budget, so I’m trying to get the most bang for my buck. 

Just shoot matches like steel challenge or USPSA. It's twenty bucks, everyone is unbelievably helpful and you will put a lot of rounds downrange. If you need any help finding a match near you let us know. 

Or you can go to one of the $300 "opreator" classes and have some washed up army guy yell at you while you put 300 rounds into a huge target that's only 7 feet away.

• Like 2

I would love to find a shoot to enter, especially shooting steel! I’ve only been shooting about a month but I’ve had a few RSO comment on how well I’m shooting already. If there’s any shoots coming up, please let me know

1 hour ago, JMich3 said:

I’ve just recently started shooting and I’m interested in taking some classes to become more proficient. I shoot at TTC and was debating taking some classes there. I was just wondering if there’s somewhere that my money will be better spent? I have a limited budget, so I’m trying to get the most bang for my buck. 

Try the knockdown steel matches. Old Bridge has their monthly match on every 2nd Saturday of the month (weather permitting)

• Like 1

I agree with these guys why waste money on instructor when many of them suck. You will find plenty of guys willing to help you out for free. Old Bridge is a good suggestion too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Wow, just checked it out, looks pretty cool. I’ll have to pick up a few things but i can definitely se me trying this. 

All you need is ammo, 5-6 mags for your firearm, holster, and mag pouches or pockets. Stay away from a serpa type . I always recommend a blade tech holster, but there are so many to choose from. What type of handgun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All you need is ammo, 5-6 mags for your firearm, holster, and mag pouches or pockets. Stay away from a serpa type . I always recommend a blade tech holster, but there are so many to choose from. What type of handgun?

Most ranges won't let you shoot from holster unless certified.

Most ranges won't let you shoot from holster unless certified.

Old Bridge is a private club that holds matches where the public can attend. You will go through a safety check. But you can if you pass use the holster there. No need in spending $140+ on a class to teach you how to holster draw.

Old Bridge is a private club that holds matches where the public can attend. You will go through a safety check. But you can if you pass use the holster there. No need in spending $140+ on a class to teach you how to holster draw.

That is good to know that they will let non members shoot from holsters. Not a chance I will spend even $50 to draw from holster at UHGC which is also supposed to be a private club.

Every club that holds competitive matches will allow you to draw from a holster. Again there is a safety brief for new shooters that will go over the rules. Also your squad mates will help you out.

1 hour ago, louu said:

Or you can go to one of the $300 "opreator" classes and have some washed up army guy yell at you while you put 300 rounds into a huge target that's only 7 feet away.

That's a pretty broad assumption about training classes. Plenty of good training out there besides doing IDPA shoots. 

46 minutes ago, ronhonda said:

I’m shooting a VP9 LE. I just ordered 2 more mags so I’ll have 6 . I’ll have to look into a holster next. How much ammo would i need? I have a full Case at the moment and i plan on ordering more soon.

DVCperformance . com
  • Like 2

DVCperformance . com

I hear really good things about him and his training classes.

I’m shooting a VP9 LE. I just ordered 2 more mags so I’ll have 6 . I’ll have to look into a holster next. How much ammo would i need? I have a full Case at the moment and i plan on ordering more soon.

2-300 depends on how much you miss.....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JMich3 said:

I would love to find a shoot to enter, especially shooting steel! I’ve only been shooting about a month but I’ve had a few RSO comment on how well I’m shooting already. If there’s any shoots coming up, please let me know

Your in a pretty good location, like said above almost all the matches in the area are open to the public. You don't need a holster or mag pouches  ( but they do help) for the 2nd saturday knock down steel at Old bridge. You do need a holster for steel challenge at old bridge, they have 2 a month. Holsters for the first Sunday of the month at Central Jersey rifle and pistol club are optional but suggested. For USPSA you do need a holster and mag pouches and a belt to put it all on. I prefer the blade tech belt but some people like the safariland system. Old bridge has a uspsa every other month on the 4th Sunday and CJ has it on the second Sunday. Like said above you don't need to pay any asshole to show you how to draw, practice at home with an empty gun obviously. Show up to the match early, help with setup, tell them you are new and they will give you a safety briefing for free.

Steel challenge is cheap $15-20. Knock down at OB is $20. Uspsa is $20 but you have tbe option to pay $40 at your first uspsa match to join uspsa and you shoot the match for free.

If you are a member on the brian enos forum you can call shooters connection .com and get a discount on your belt, holster and pouches. If not they are still pretty cheap. I recommend the blade tech holster and the CR speed pouches, the pouches also come in a 5 pack for a little less $. You can also get knock offs that look the same on ebay or amazon for cheaper but why support the "foreign" countries. 

Feel free to pm me your number if you have any other questions, this goes for anyone.

There is a steel challenge match at old bridge on the 17th sign up is here http://steelscoring.com/#/events make an account, almost all the local matches are on there. If you want to shoot a .22 you don't need anything other than a gun, mags and ammo. Don't forget the obvious shit lIke safety glasses, ears, sunblock, hat, lunch, water...

I'll warn you right now, this shit is really addictive.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, shooter28 said:

That's a pretty broad assumption about training classes. Plenty of good training out there besides doing IDPA shoots. 

I don't shoot idpa. 

I don't claim to be a professional but I will teach anyone everything I know for free. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, louu said:

I don't shoot idpa. 

I don't claim to be a professional but I will teach anyone everything I know for free. 

Where do you usually shoot Louu?

Thanks for all the input guys. Is there special ammo for the steel Challenge? I have FMJ 115 gr i shoot at the range. 

1 hour ago, NJSigfan said:

Jmich3

I’m in the same boat of wanting to get more into shooting games.  You’re somewhat close to me so if you need someone to shoot with or trade info drop me a message.  

Shooting alone while therapeutic can get a bit lonely.

Where do you usually shoot Sigfan?

All the matches I was talking about above, I haven't shot USPSA in a couple years though because the 3 gun bug has taken over. I really enjoy the knock down steel at Old bridge and will probably be there this Sunday for steel challenge. 

Yes, 115's are what I use for steel challenge, I use 147's for knock down steel but I'm sure the 115's  will work just fine. The rules say any non magnum  center fire pistol ammo is allowed with a minimum of 750 feet per second. For the .22 everyone shoots long rifle, not sure if other .22 ammo is allowed maybe someone else knows. 

5 hours ago, JMich3 said:

Where do you usually shoot Louu?

Thanks for all the input guys. Is there special ammo for the steel Challenge? I have FMJ 115 gr i shoot at the range. 

Here's a video from this past Saturday's knock down at OB, (excuse time) I was extremely dehydrated so I shot like shit and the baby got me up in the middle of the night so no sleep for me. Still got 4th place though. 

28 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Thanks, i did see that. This thread has taken a turn away from training and towards competing

Everyone needs to understand one thing about all the tactical Timmy classes and training in general. There is nothing anyone can tell you that's magically going to turn you into Marcus Luttrell or Jerry Miculek. Once you have the basic fundamentals down it's up to you to practice them and refine them. For every 50 thousand rounds a professional has put down range they dry fired 150,000 times.

Competition is an excellent way to safely practice live firing. You get a lot of rounds downrange, every stage presents different arrays/challenges and there is always someone there to critique your run. On top of that we break balls and have a great time out of the house. 

Everyone needs to understand one thing about all the tactical Timmy classes and training in general. There is nothing anyone can tell you that's magically going to turn you into Marcus Luttrell or Jerry Miculek. Once you have the basic fundamentals down it's up to you to practice them and refine them. For every 50 thousand rounds a professional has put down range they dry fired 150,000 times.
Competition is an excellent way to safely practice live firing. You get a lot of rounds downrange, every stage presents different arrays/challenges and there is always someone there to critique your run. On top of that we break balls and have a great time out of the house. 

I agree that "Tactical" classes focus on various things not related to actually shooting any better. But there are trainers who specifically focus on shooting skills, i.e. Correct technique to build fundamentals of shooting quickly and accurately. This is helpful in ensuring that you don't spend a lot of time and ammo practicing bad technique which ends up holding you back.

11 hours ago, louu said:

All the matches I was talking about above, I haven't shot USPSA in a couple years though because the 3 gun bug has taken over. I really enjoy the knock down steel at Old bridge and will probably be there this Sunday for steel challenge. 

Yes, 115's are what I use for steel challenge, I use 147's for knock down steel but I'm sure the 115's  will work just fine. The rules say any non magnum  center fire pistol ammo is allowed with a minimum of 750 feet per second. For the .22 everyone shoots long rifle, not sure if other .22 ammo is allowed maybe someone else knows. 

Here's a video from this past Saturday's knock down at OB, (excuse time) I was extremely dehydrated so I shot like shit and the baby got me up in the middle of the night so no sleep for me. Still got 4th place though. 

Show off.  Whatcha get.  1 miss. Niiiice.