EHTMin14

Actually a recoil compensator...Turning Barrel adding flash suppressor with sight

I just purchased a Mini 14 ranch rifle model 5802 stainless.  My 1st rifle purchase.   I want to add a M14 style flash suppressor in stainless.    I havent found a supplier of the M14 style suppressor for the 580 series Mini14s.   I did find M14 style flash suppressors w/integrated sight for the older 180 series Mini14's.   To use those flash suppressors, i'd have to have my barrel turned down then the suppressor pressed on, and held in place via a roll pin.

My question is -  would removing the factory front sight and adding a flash suppressor with an integrated sight cause a change in front sight location & accuracy?   Would I (or actually the gunsmith) need to adjust the rear sights to work with the newly installed front sight?   Seems to me that something would need to be adjusted as I wouldnt expect that everything would be set up the same with the new sight & suppressor.  

I'm near atlantic city and looking for a gunsmith that could do the job!

thanks.

9 minutes ago, lilred121986 said:

Umm Pretty sure in Nazi New Jersey, A suppressor is deff ILLEGAL! Can only have a Muzzle Brake or Comp from what i gather. but im not a expert.

Mini 14 does not have a Pistol Grip which is why it's legal to have a FH.  

• Like 2

As I read the NJ rules, I can have one of the evil features but not two of them, so I can have a flash hider.  Interesting that the product description says recoil compensator.

I just called a gunsmith - he said in NJ you CAN NOT have a flash hider. So -conflicting info.  

But if the manufacturer calls it a compensator, then it's a compensator.

Back to the original question - what do I need to look out for adjustment wise after machining and installation?  take it to the range and adjust the rear sights to the new front sight?

56 minutes ago, EHTMin14 said:

As I read the NJ rules, I can have one of the evil features but not two of them, so I can have a flash hider.  Interesting that the product description says recoil compensator.

I just called a gunsmith - he said in NJ you CAN NOT have a flash hider. So -conflicting info.  

But if the manufacturer calls it a compensator, then it's a compensator.

Back to the original question - what do I need to look out for adjustment wise after machining and installation?  take it to the range and adjust the rear sights to the new front sight?

I can't speak to the accuracy issues you might or might not have by doing that swap. But I would definitely NOT go to a gunsmith who is not familiar with NJ laws. You can have a FH if that is the only "evil" feature you have on a semi-auto rifle. But if you put on a FH you can never add a pistol grip, bayo mount, or grenade launcher. 

the seller has the title "look-a-like flash hider"   So, my original posting title may be off in this case.

The manufacurers description says what I have is a "Recoil Compensator" 

I have two gunsmiths saying this in NJ legal.   One says this is NOT NJ legal.         Who can actually make the call as to legality?

M14 flash hider look a like.jpg

On 6/11/2018 at 10:04 AM, Krdshrk said:

Mini 14 does not have a Pistol Grip which is why it's legal to have a FH.  

This is correct.

Read the law.  You are allowed one "evil feature".  On ARs it's the pistol grip.  If y look you don't have any other "evil features" on your Mini 14 you can have a flash surpressor.

On 6/11/2018 at 10:15 AM, lilred121986 said:

Really? hmmm I was always told Flash hider were banned by name.  Thanks Krdshrk i've learned something new :-)

Let me blow your mind, a rifle in NJ also needs to have a detachable magazine in order to be subject to the "evil feature game" 

Meaning if you have something like a vz. 58 Liberty model, you can have folding stock, pistol grip, bayonet lug, etc. etc. 

There's also an AR-15 fixed magazine variant as well. 

First, i would find a different gunsmith. O

Second, I would imagine that you would have to re-zero a sight anytime it is changed. I would be more inclined to find something that fits the barrel then having it turned down. But ATCO would be a better option for something like this. Even then, I would have it threaded, not turned down.