Greenday

Alternatives to M1 and M14

I've enjoyed firing the M1 Garand and M14. Reading the banned gun list, "M1 Carbine Type" and "M14S" are both listed so I'm a little confused then on what's okay. I see Springfield M1A's for sale at Shooters so I have no idea at this point. Also not trying to break the bank since I keep complaining about saving money. Suggestions?

M1A is legal.  The attorney generals office published a document exempting it from the assault weapon ban because there is enough difference between it and "assault weapons" listed by name on the banned weapons list.  Here's a copy of the document published by the AG office.

Exemption for Springfield M1A.docx

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Greenday said:

I've enjoyed firing the M1 Garand and M14. Reading the banned gun list, "M1 Carbine Type" and "M14S" are both listed so I'm a little confused then on what's okay. I see Springfield M1A's for sale at Shooters so I have no idea at this point. Also not trying to break the bank since I keep complaining about saving money. Suggestions?

m1a is civvie version of m14. buy one. you will absolutely LOVE it. m1carbine is named by name on the banned list. i got no clue why. m1 garand.......buy one. you'll love it more than the m1a.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, gfl216 said:

Sounds like you just described a Ruger Mini 14.

7 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Pretty much, yea. Not a bad idea.

Well, if you really want the battle riffle feel, you are really thinking about a mini 30.

If you go the mini 14 rout, you can "Garandize" it.  There are kits that turn a mini 14 into a pretty respectable representation of the M1

But....  By the time you spend the time and money on making that 14 into a baby Garand, you could be the proud owner of a National Match M1A

Here's the M14 with the fun switch

1200px-M14_rifle_-_USA_-_7,62x51mm_-_Arm

And here's the M21

1401821-m21.jpg

And here's the M1A National Match

Springfield-Armory-M1A-National-Match-Ri

Define “not break the bank...”

For M1As, take a look on M14 Forum. Don’t know if KurtC is on here much, but got a great deal over there on an older N/M M1A from him. Less than 50 rounds through it, and was a little less than what a new N/M gun goes for... seems like not a big deal, but earlier guns were usually built with USGI parts (case with mine).

M1As are nice, Garands have a little more history. Neither are exactly cheap to get into... at least until the new shipment of Garands come in from CMP. I think they still offer Field grade rifles for $650... if that interests you. Most everything else, including Specials, are at or over $1,000.

I got my Garand locally, for pretty cheap. It is a Century built gun... Lithgow receiver, brand new VAR barrel, and mix of Springfield and PB parts. Was cheap enough that if the receiver was garbage, I still had the value in parts. Sent it to Shuff’s, Tim confirmed it was good to go, and I had him redo the entire rifle. Looks like how a new Garand would have came out of the arsenal. But true USGI guns, unless they are trashed, expect to pay $1,000+.

Pictures of my Garand...

ls2FEde.jpg

t8HU1kE.jpg

pimkkwu.jpg

• Like 2

On 6/13/2018 at 10:42 PM, Regular Guy said:

M1A is legal.  The attorney generals office published a document exempting it from the assault weapon ban because there is enough difference between it and "assault weapons" listed by name on the banned weapons list.  Here's a copy of the document published by the AG office.

Exemption for Springfield M1A.docx

Please dont forget the colt match target...

But it was listed on the fed ban list being proposed.....as well as the m1a

Was hoping to not spend more than $1,500.

M1A, you’ll find them in your range locally... might not be a N/M or Loaded, but a standard M1A should be available under that price.

A nice Garand can usually be found between $1,000 and $1,500 (shooters, even slightly less)... unless it is rare for whatever reason. Field grades were decent, and in the $650 range. People reselling them drives the price up, but at a certain point... it is a Garand. There are a metric (or imperial) crap ton out there.

Will likely save on clips over magazines. Just be careful with ammo choices with the Garand (or get an adjustable gas valve).

Was hoping to not spend more than $1,500. 

Plenty of Semi Auto Milsurps you can get for under $1,500. Start with CMP service grade Garand. They even had Special Grades if you aren't concerned with originality.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, capt14k said:

Favorite all around yes. Maybe the 1941 Johnson will beat it out when I get one.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I still have to shoot mine. Then again, I'm definitely a collector, I have a few that I take out, and everything else just sits around looking purdy.

i didn't read the whole thread. but.......save your money, and buy a garand, and an m1a. those are 2 purchases you will NEVER regret. in fact there's a member on here selling a very nice looking garand. and he's a very good guy. i've bought from him.