slickskin

breaking down the new gun laws signed by the governor

I'm a little confused by exactly what was signed and what it means for gun owners or potential gun owners in New Jersey. 

1. The most glaring one is him saying 10 round magazines are the maximum and not 15. I guess this means that most full size pistols that hold 15-17 rounds are now contraband. Does this apply to magazines already owned? Is there a punishment if you have one anyway or if it was bought legally somewhere else but then moved here?

2. Then there is one that says that mental health professionals must inform law enforcement if someone is a danger to themselves or others? I thought they already had to do this. The mental health part of background checks are already highly confusing. If someone was forcibly hospitalized in a facility by a judge that seems clear enough to revoke you. But do those laws, current or new, mean someone that sees a psychiatrist on a voluntary outpatient basis once in a while for something like anxiety or stress are now forbidden? It's not clear.

3. And then he says that private gun sales are also subject to background checks,but again I thought this was already done where there's no escaping needing an FPID card and a NICs check so what's the change?

4. Need to show justifiable need for a concealed carry permit? Lol, I thought this already was next to impossible here unless you were a detective or something.

5. Then there is something about not just family members but basically anyone being allowed to ask the law enforcement to remove somebody else's weapons. I wonder what other rights you can request be stripped of someone else for any reason. 

I feel like all of this can be better simplified by saying we're going to make it as difficult as possible for you to buy and keep firearms unless someone can better explain this to me.

#3 is an issue. I can sell my friend a gun if he has a valid FPID card with a matching NJ DL, no NICS check. We both do a 4473 and keep a copy.

So now they want me and my buddy to go to an FFL so they can do the transfer and the NICS check? Don't know if we "normal" citizens can actually call in a NICS check, so it ends us doing face to face transfers...........

Since Murphy signed the bill today, shouldn't this all be moved from "pending"?

I was going to link the news stories, but the virtue signaling flowed so thickly, that I worried that someone here who read the stories might destroy their computer.

Murphy's running for President. And he has less of a chance than Christie, who had no chance.

So -- now where do I send the donation to help support the lawsuits?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NJLEFTY said:

The new 10 round cluster f!@#4 does it go into effect today? Or is there a 180 grace period to comply?

I imagine there's a grace period but that's why I'm asking for some more clarification about what these changes are exactly.  The only thing that's clear is this agenda to chip away on the right to bare arms slowly and with individual people with the real objective of removing guns almost completely from everybody, but they know they can't do it at all at once so for now we have this.

• Like 1

I can comment on a couple:

1. The most glaring one is him saying 10 round magazines are the maximum and not 15. I guess this means that most full size pistols that hold 15-17 rounds are now contraband. Does this apply to magazines already owned? Is there a punishment if you have one anyway or if it was bought legally somewhere else but then moved here?

The pistols are not contraband, the magazines are.  Yes, this applies to magazines already owned, regardless of where they were acquired. Possessing magazines for semi-automatic firearms in NJ with a >10 round capacity after the 180 day "grace period" is the crime.

3. And then he says that private gun sales are also subject to background checks,but again I thought this was already done where there's no escaping needing an FPID card and a NICs check so what's the change?

The law means that an "instant" background check must now be performed at the time of the sale.  The only people with access to the "instant" background check are FFL's and the police, so this means that private sales must now be conducted at an FFL.

Before, no "instant" check was required, just the possession of a valid NJ FID card which meant that the holder had passed a background check sometime in the past.

I believe there is a "grace period" before this takes effect as well, not sure how long.

4. Need to show justifiable need for a concealed carry permit? Lol, I thought this already was next to impossible here unless you were a detective or something.

It is/was.  This is just a political football - no substantive change while both parties exaggerate the effects.  Christie made a *SLIGHT* change that might have made it 0.01% easier to convince a judge that you need a carry permit, but I'm not aware of anyone who was able to meet the *slightly* relaxed new standard.  Murphy just put it back to the standard we had before.

It was next to impossible for an average person to get a NJ carry permit under Christie without taking a case up to the NJ supreme court, and it still is under Murphy.

Actually #4 is probably the easiest to bring to court. What they actually did was make what was administrative rules, codified law. Previously the law was written to require justifiable need but the definition was left open which is how Christie was able to loosen it slightly, he had his DA change the definition slightly. In the courts, they could just say, “these people are suing over administrative issues, the law is fine” Now they put the cards on the table and worded the definition of what they think “justifiable need” is which is even more restrictive then the DC law that the SC struck down. The theory is that future governors can’t do what Christie did now. I think they just made an unconstitutional law in direct contention with the SC so that makes it very lawsuit ready....

-Jim

• Like 1

7 hours ago, slickskin said:

5. Then there is something about not just family members but basically anyone being allowed to ask the law enforcement to remove somebody else's weapons. I wonder what other rights you can request be stripped of someone else for any reason. 

It's supposed to be a "health care professional".  I work in the health care industry and have for about 18yrs now so I could argue that definition all day.  That aside, does this mean if I piss off a nurse at work by taking the good parking spot or throwing out the milk smelling up the refrigerator something that that person can turn me in and it will be followed up on?  

6 hours ago, NJLEFTY said:

The new 10 round cluster f!@#4 does it go into effect today? Or is there a 180 grace period to comply?

10 rnd limit is in effect today for NEW mags not owned when asshole signed into  law... Existing mags you own are covered by that grace period.

7 hours ago, M4BGRINGO said:

#3 is an issue. I can sell my friend a gun if he has a valid FPID card with a matching NJ DL, no NICS check. We both do a 4473 and keep a copy.

So now they want me and my buddy to go to an FFL so they can do the transfer and the NICS check? Don't know if we "normal" citizens can actually call in a NICS check, so it ends us doing face to face transfers...........

Transfers must be done at an FFL with a nics check.   F2F transfers are dead. (added Unless they are immediate family)

At this point private Citizens cannot access the Nics system.. only dealers can.

• Like 1

Transfers must be done at an FFL with a nics check.   F2F transfers are dead.
At this point private Citizens cannot access the Nics system.. only dealers can.

No grace period?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

10 rnd limit is in effect today for NEW mags not owned when asshole signed into  law... Existing mags you own are covered by that grace period.

Was this confirmed?

3 minutes ago, PK90 said:

If so, have your customers contact me for 11-15 capacity magazines. emoji16.png

lol

Why limit to 15? if you going to become a felon dont play games with it... Go Big

• Like 3

lol

Why limit to 15? if you going to become a felon dont play games with it... Go Big
I have no idea what the law is in NJ anymore. When I left, capacity was 15. Did the law change? LOL

Just now, PK90 said:

I have no idea what the law is in NJ anymore. When I left, capacity was 15. Did the law change? LOL

Its now 10.. But why bother buying new 15's.... If you are considered a felon at that point.. .Go bigger... 

44 minutes ago, remixer said:

Transfers must be done at an FFL with a nics check.   F2F transfers are dead.

Private f2f  is still good within immediate family w/o ffl & nics correct?

2 hours ago, remixer said:

Ha Ha... exactly my point. What's the difference. it's not like they tack on additional months in jail for round 11, 12, 13, 14, etc. After the first overage, the rest are FREE!

Might just as well go get a drum mag, and really go out big! :)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Ha Ha... exactly my point. What's the difference. it's not like they tack on additional months in jail for round 11, 12, 13, 14, etc. After the first overage, the rest are FREE!

Might just as well go get a drum mag, and really go out big! :)

Yup.. Never heard of a small felon :)

I'm not 100% sure that there is a grace period for F2F...  I'm inquiring about that.

My thinking... a F2F is a new transaction and usually not covered by grace periods.

But i might be wrong.

Re: A2757

2. This act shall take effect on the first day of the fourth month next following enactment.

https://legiscan.com/NJ/text/A2757/2018

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Bob2222 said:

Since Murphy signed the bill today, shouldn't this all be moved from "pending"?

Moved

8 hours ago, slickskin said:

I imagine there's a grace period but that's why I'm asking for some more clarification about what these changes are exactly.  The only thing that's clear is this agenda to chip away on the right to bare arms slowly and with individual people with the real objective of removing guns almost completely from everybody, but they know they can't do it at all at once so for now we have this.

180 Days. 

Its now 10.. But why bother buying new 15's.... If you are considered a felon at that point.. .Go bigger... 

In for 15, In for 30!

3 minutes ago, danw77 said:

Re: A2757

2. This act shall take effect on the first day of the fourth month next following enactment.

https://legiscan.com/NJ/text/A2757/2018

Thanks!

So FTF is still good until October 1st.

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

So FTF is still good until October 1st.

That's how I read it, but I'd really like someone to provide a legal opinion on this. I have an email into ANJRPC.