slickskin

breaking down the new gun laws signed by the governor

I sorta feel ashamed now :)

Q:  Are New Jersey Retail or Wholesale Dealers exempt for possession of large capacity ammunition magazines.

A:  Yes. A licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer may possess large capacity ammunition magazines at its licensed premises for sale or disposition to another licensed dealer.

"magazines at its licensed premises for sale"  For sale to who?

4 minutes ago, danw77 said:

That's how I read it, but I'd really like someone to provide a legal opinion on this. I have an email into ANJRPC.

That why i wanted confirmation... How do we interpret the law. Ugh

1 hour ago, remixer said:

I sorta feel ashamed now :)

Q:  Are New Jersey Retail or Wholesale Dealers exempt for possession of large capacity ammunition magazines.

A:  Yes. A licensed retail or wholesale firearms dealer may possess large capacity ammunition magazines at its licensed premises for sale or disposition to another licensed dealer.

"magazines at its licensed premises for sale"  For sale to who?

That why i wanted confirmation... How do we interpret the law. Ugh

Looks like the 15 round mags fall into the large capacity magazine law 13:54-5.5 and would prohibit sales to any private consumer.

Is a pop rivet a legal way to limit a mags capacity? I did this to a CZ mag to limit it to 15. Had to dremel the frame a little bit by the magwell to let the rivet head slide by, but works fine. If it is legit I guess I can do it at 10 rounds next........

26 minutes ago, M4BGRINGO said:

Is a pop rivet a legal way to limit a mags capacity? I did this to a CZ mag to limit it to 15. Had to dremel the frame a little bit by the magwell to let the rivet head slide by, but works fine. If it is legit I guess I can do it at 10 rounds next........

Q: May a person lawfully possess a “blocked” large capacity ammunition magazine?
A: Yes, as long as it was owned on the day the law was enacted and was permanently blocked during the six-month grace period. Temporarily blocked magazines are not lawful. (NJAC § 13:54-1.2 Definitions) A large capacity ammunition magazine must be permanently altered so that it is not capable of holding more than 10 rounds of ammunition. (e.g. riveted, welded, epoxied, etc.) It cannot be readily restorable. An ammunition magazine which has been temporarily blocked or modified from holding more than 15 rounds, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still unlawful. 

https://cdn.ymaws.com/www.anjrpc.org/resource/resmgr/docs/nj_update_magazines_6-12-18.pdf

3 hours ago, monmouth said:

Looks like the 15 round mags fall into the large capacity magazine law 13:54-5.5 and would prohibit sales to any private consumer.

Reading the bill/statute it seems only LEO, RLEO and FFL's can posses "high capacity" magazines.  Other than the Marlin .22LR exception, regular people cannot possess any mag over 10 rounds.  There is no grandfather clause or exception for those of us (most of us?) who already own mags > 10 rounds.

1 hour ago, 60Bwater60 said:

Hi, so now the 10 round magazine is a law in new Jersey and I have 15 round magazines, can I be able to keep it at home for self defense?

Nope. The law says you don't have a right to defend yourself against a criminal who has no respect for the law and might have his own gun with a higher magazine from the black market. Did you think you had rights?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Surrender them to your local gun shop. They may give you some store credit.

Can ordinary N.J. (non-FFL) folk sell magazines on eBay?  I have bought a couple on eBay and I have several 15's I'd rather sell so I have the means to buy 10's

1 minute ago, JerseyJim said:

Can ordinary N.J. (non-FFL) folk sell magazines on eBay?  I have bought a couple on eBay and I have several 15's I'd rather sell so I have the means to buy 10's

Yes and no. As per ebay policy they only allow 10 rounders or less.

18 minutes ago, JerseyJim said:

As long as your buyer isn’t in NJ or another state where >10 rds are illegal.

Probably don’t want to make it obvious that you’re shipping mags when dropping off package at a shipper in NJ.

15 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

As long as your buyer isn’t in NJ or another state where >10 rds are illegal.

Probably don’t want to make it obvious that you’re shipping mags when dropping off package at a shipper in NJ.

When shipping, I've identified gun parts as "machine parts". (Which is true.)

While eBay doesn't allow the sale of >10 round mags, I'm pretty sure that Gunbroker does.

23 minutes ago, always_an_eagle said:

Does anyone know how to modify a 15 round hex magazine to 10 rounds?

You can easily block most polymer and metal AR/AK type mags by simply drilling a hole or two and crushing in a pop rivet. You can buy a pop rivet gun cheaply at any hardware store. Less than $20 and yo can block all the mags you want. Plenty of info on calguns and other boards with specific measurements if you don't feel like measuring yourself.

And don't worry the rivet gun is lever action and only fires one rivet at a time so no laws affecting assault rivet guns (for now), 

• Like 1

The 10 round magazine restriction doesn't bother me as much as how they make it very hard in this state to buy one but very easy to take away. Though it's very troubling because how do we know in a few years they won't go down to 5?

I admit I kind of agree that the average joe shouldn't need a fully automatic assault weapon with a drum magazine and armor piercing bullets, but when you tell someone they can't have any weapons at all because of the tiniest thing it seems like a blatant infringement of the 2nd amendment. 

I admit I kind of agree that the average joe shouldn't need a fully automatic assault weapon with a drum magazine and armor piercing bullets ...

FAIL

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 11