45Doll

Can NJ FFLs Sell 15 Round Magazines?

Murphy signed the 10-round magazine limit yesterday. There's a 180 day grace period for those citizens who already own them to get rid of them.

But what about new purchases? Can FFLs in New Jersey sell handguns equipped with 15-round magazines, or stand alone 15-round magazines to NJ residents during this grace period? Has the Firearms Unit contacted any FFLs with guidance on this point?

I have read the text of the law, and it is not clear at all.

8 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Can FFLs in New Jersey sell handguns equipped with 15-round magazines, or stand alone 15-round magazines to NJ residents during this grace period?

I would say yes, if they are a LEO, since they are exempt from the law.

I see no reason why an ffl cannot sell a handgun that is capable of accepting a 15 round magazine, as long as it is not transferred with it 

The magazine is the prohibitive item not the firearm

If this is then the case how does one explain all the ar type rifles...?

Thanks for the opinions, but I am looking for a statement of fact from somewhere. The law as written discusses possession, not sales.

Has the AG or Firearms Unit made a statement or ruling on this point?

An FFL's 15-round inventory would suddenly become unsalable if the previous two opinions were true.

5 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Thanks for the opinions, but I am looking for a statement of fact from somewhere. The law as written discusses possession, not sales.

An FFL's 15-round inventory would suddenly become unsalable if the previous two opinions were true.

I think everyone is still trying to get answers.  Even LEO.

5 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

An FFL's inventory is unsalable to NJ residents.

Doesn't mean they can't sell them to people in states where 15 round magazines are legal.

3 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

An FFL's inventory is unsalable to NJ residents.

Doesn't mean they can't sell them to people in states where 15 round magazines are legal.

^^^THIS^^^

'Cept to say that LEO with a letter from their CLEO can buy mags that aren't Dept. issued for use in either on-duty or off-duty sidearms and rifles.

It's all over Facebook (don't hit me) :) 

7 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

Exactly right. There are many handguns and rifles where the standard mag is 11- 15, so anyone in the free states could buy them. Also, like mentioned above, the LEO's are exempt, so they can still possess 15 rounders.

14 minutes ago, NJLEFTY said:

I feel for the lgs a large portion of their inventory is no bueno. I guess they have to neuter all the mags, sell without the mags or sell them online. One gigantic pain in the butt.

Indeed.

While they certainly can sell online, it's reasonable to assume that NJ-based residents are their primary customers, so it will definitely be a pain to shift gears and sell online or in a different state (gun shows, etc).

On 6/14/2018 at 11:02 AM, NJLEFTY said:

I feel for the lgs a large portion of their inventory is no bueno. I guess they have to neuter all the mags, sell without the mags or sell them online. One gigantic pain in the butt.

They would have to pull the mags and replace them with 10 rounders before they could sell them. 

if the ANJRPC are successful in getting a temporary injunction pending a supreme court ruling can 15 rounders be sold to us?

That depends on the judge. If he issues an injunction against the whole law, then it is like the law doesn't exist. I believe he should, since preventing someone from buying 15 round magazines, and forcing them to buy 10 round magazines, could cause undue financial burden. Also small dealers that are currently stuck with their 15 round magazines have limited options to sell them. Converting them to 10 would cause them unneeded financial and time costs if the law is overturned.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk