JerseyJim

Modifying magazines to 10 round capacity

1 hour ago, omegaman said:

Previously, I believe that there was a Attorney General statement allowing blocking magazines to 15 rounds and later rescinded by Corzine's people.

I have read the newly passed bill reducing the limit to 10 rounds but fail to see where you are given the opportunity to again block existing higher capacity mags to the new lower limit.

Absent of actual text in the bill and no statement by the current AG allowing for such, why do people think that it is now an option to do so?

The new bill states that non-compliant mags can be permanently modified to be in line with the new law. Then again, it also says that pins and blocks are not acceptable, so who knows. 

1 hour ago, omegaman said:

I have read the newly passed bill reducing the limit to 10 rounds but fail to see where you are given the opportunity to again block existing higher capacity mags to the new lower limit.

Absent of actual text in the bill and no statement by the current AG allowing for such, why do people think that it is now an option to do so?

It's there in the bill, here's the line:

b.    Render the semi-automatic rifle or magazine inoperable 1or permanently modify a large capacity ammunition magazine to accept 10 rounds or less1

https://legiscan.com/NJ/text/A2761/2018

9 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Then again, it also says that pins and blocks are not acceptable, so who knows. 

I see the "permanently modified" part in the amended bill, but I don't see that particular text of "pins and blocks". It might have been removed on the final version of the bill.

17 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

I see the "permanently modified" part in the amended bill, but I don't see that particular text of "pins and blocks". It might have been removed on the final version of the bill.

My bad. It was from the “Statement” that went with the bill:

http://www.njleg.state.nj.us/2018/Bills/A3000/2761_S4.HTM

A person also would have the option to render a semi-automatic rifle or magazine inoperable or permanently modify a magazine to accept 10 rounds or less.  Under the Administrative Code (N.J.A.C.13:54-1.2), a person may permanently alter a magazine so that it is excluded from the current legal definition of a “large capacity ammunition magazine.”  An ammunition magazine, which has been temporarily blocked or modified, as by a piece of wood or a pin, is still considered to be a “large capacity ammunition magazine.”

30 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

It's there in the bill, here's the line:

b.    Render the semi-automatic rifle or magazine inoperable 1or permanently modify a large capacity ammunition magazine to accept 10 rounds or less1

https://legiscan.com/NJ/text/A2761/2018

It looks like a was reading an earlier version without that language. Thank you.

1 hour ago, voyager9 said:

My bad. It was from the “Statement” that went with the bill:

It's been confusing, for sure. If I'm reading the final amended bill correctly, we should be able to use a block in the mags, since I don't see that last piece in the bill (block or pin). After all, magblocks were considered "NJ compliant" in the 15/xx mags sold by many of the manufacturers, so why wouldn't magblocks be OK in the 10/xx versions?

You STILL HAVE NOT READ THE PUBLISHED CHAPTER LAW (C.39) because the douchebags in Trenton at The Office of Legislative Services have not published it yet.

I strongly suspect they are tinkering with the precise wording in the law so as to meet their agenda.

Just now, njJoniGuy said:

You STILL HAVE NOT READ THE PUBLISHED CHAPTER LAW (C.39) because the douchebags in Trenton at The Office of Legislative Services have not published it yet.

Where would this be published when they finally get around to it?

1 minute ago, njJoniGuy said:

I strongly suspect they are tinkering with the precise wording in the law so as to meet their agenda.

I’m pretty sure they can’t “tinker” with the language. He signs the bill as it was passed by the legislature. 

6 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

I’m pretty sure they can’t “tinker” with the language. He signs the bill as it was passed by the legislature. 

And I'm also pretty sure that replacing Torricelli with Corzine on the ballot a few years ago was also something they couldn't do.

Same goes for Hillary and her deleted emails and the non-secure private server. I don't think she could do that either.

Telling a govt official they 'can't do that' is like holding a steak in front of a south jersey mountain lion and telling him he can't eat that.

I must be crazy.  Because I read the bills and I don’t find it confusing at all.

have a semi auto that holds more than 15 now illegal.  Use magazines that hold 10 or less if you want a functioning firearm.   If there exists a firearm that will not function if altered to hold less than 15 then you register it.   If you own mags more than ten you get rid of it, you surrender to police,  you make it an inoperable relic or you modify it to only hold ten.  Modifying is allowed it must be considered permanent.  Just sticking a block or a pin in the bottom which you could just switch in or out easily is not permanent is considered temporary.

• Like 1

I must be crazy.  Because I read the bills and I don’t find it confusing at all.

have a semi auto that holds more than 15 now illegal.  Use magazines that hold 10 or less if you want a functioning firearm.   If there exists a firearm that will not function if altered to hold less than 15 then you register it.   If you own mags more than ten you get rid of it, you surrender to police,  you make it an inoperable relic or you modify it to only hold ten.  Modifying is allowed it must be considered permanent.  Just sticking a block or a pin in the bottom which you could just switch in or out easily is not permanent is considered temporary.

You may want to re-read the law.

More than 15 semi auto has been illegal in NJ since 1990

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

You may want to re-read the law.

More than 15 semi auto has been illegal in NJ since 1990

He said illegal. Lacking the proper punctuation.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Barms said:

The confusion comes with the grace period. 

The confusion comes with the grace period. 
And how they can possibly get away with such an infringement. In no other state has there been no grandfathering and not only that they have made a previous restriction now illegal causing undue harm and financial loss without compensation. As well as taking property without compensation. As well as putting NJ sportsmen at a disadvantage. I don't see this law standing so I'm not going to do a damn thing.

• Like 1

Just now, capt14k said:

And how they can possibly get away with such an infringement. In no other state has there been no grandfathering and not only that they have made a previous restriction now illegal causing undue harm and financial loss without compensation. As well as taking property without compensation. As well as putting NJ sportsmen at a disadvantage. I don't see this law standing so I'm not going to do a damn thing.

Well, yeah. N.J. has always been in “hold-my-beer” mode when it comes to gun restrictions. 

So if i'm reading all these posts correctly there really aren't that many ways to do this. A combination of mag block + pin + epoxy.  Also we can buy new 10 rd mags but that's not a popular idea. Anything i missed? Non compliance is not an option I'm not going to prison for a magazine. I just bought all my mag blocks except for the PX4 storm.40 I couldn't find those just gonna buy 10 rounders. Hopefully I'm wrong but I cant see them clarifying this law so if there is a court case they can spin it their way. Terrible situation we were put in. 

13 minutes ago, NJLEFTY said:

Non compliance is not an option I'm not going to prison for a magazine.

Nothing for nothing, but I've asked multiple times, and there hasn't been but one or two people arrested for having +15 round mags in the state, and that law goes back to the 1990s. I'm sure there are a heck of a lot of +15 rounders currently in the state.

• Like 2

The phrase is not for nothing. I am talking about taking them back and forth to the range. Having them in the house is different no ones coming to search your house. If you never plan on taking them out of the house then I guess you can leave them alone thats your call to make but if not why would you want to put yourself in a situation that could present a problem for you.

The phrase is not for nothing. I am talking about taking them back and forth to the range. Having them in the house is different no ones coming to search your house. If you never plan on taking them out of the house then I guess you can leave them alone thats your call to make but if not why would you want to put yourself in a situation that could present a problem for you.

Civil Disobedience. Not serving on your knees. Fighting for your rights. Just a few.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

51 minutes ago, NJLEFTY said:

I am talking about taking them back and forth to the range.

OK, so you think every one that has gone to the range since the new bill was passed has only taken 10 round mags? Not a single person has taken a 10+ round mag to the range in the last two weeks?

How many of them have been arrested?

Wouldn't that be real easy picking for Murphy?

47 minutes ago, NJLEFTY said:

Having them in the house is different no ones coming to search your house. If you never plan on taking them out of the house then I guess you can leave them alone

In approximately 160 days, you become a felon if they're in your house too, so what's your plans for that? If the cops come to your house for any numerous reasons (fire, robbery, domestic disturbance, noise complaint, etc.) there's the potential for your mags to be found.

I said its your call if you keep them in the house or not I wasn't talking about me. Everyone has to make their own decisions. Sniper I'm sure there have been ppl taking their unaltered mags to the range because of the 180 day grace period does that mean there isn't the potential for something to come out of it somewhere along the line. Capt 14  all your reasons are good in theory but the reality is different and there will be no pardons from this gov.

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

Cryptorchidism

I agree!  If you don't have the balls to keep a magazine, be prepared to surrender all of your guns. A line MUST be drawn in the sand as to how far we let this stupid state go in violating our 2nd Amendment rights. We have to make a stand so let's do it now!:mad:

• Like 6