JerseyJim

Modifying magazines to 10 round capacity

The notion that we have a 180 day grace period where we can retain possession of the 15R mags but not take them to the range seems bizarre and I believe incorrect! Even (IF) one "thinks" you can't take them to the range otherwise for say a USPSA match (and I don't see anything in the bill which says during the 180 days you can't take them to the range), the State has ordered me to do one of several things with my mags, one of the options is to permanently modify them. After I modify the mags with say a mag-blocker (but not permanently yet), and before I seal-them up for "forever", I have to test them at the range under fire for proper feeding and to make sure to see they still only take 10 rounds after putting some rounds down range (Just before the Law was signed, I already tested a 45 mag blocker that failed on both accounts). Hence, to comply with the law after the 180 days, we need to use the grace period for range testing of said compliance.

Simple logic.

1 hour ago, 9thMarines said:

Was never really good at math but....

My HiPower goes from 13 rounds to 10    = (-3)...

But if I buy 10 rounds mags for my Springfield Loaded 1911 =  +3

Am I even????

(sarcasm -On)

I think that the total area of the holes made with Browning 10s + 1911 10s will be larger than the total area of the holes made with  Browning 13s and 1911 7s.

By that metric, you'll be ahead!

(sarcasm/off)

I may be unusual, but I don't think that I've ever taken the 2 BHP 13s that came in the box to the range. The 10s are (or were) cheap and if dropping magazines on concrete were good for them, Browning wouldn't have felt the need to sell magazines with those Pachmayr magazine bumpers.

I'm not planning on selling anything, but I will send things off to live in America, until I can join them.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, antimatter said:

is expoxing (or JB weld) a magblock (from magblock.com) to the follower a acceptable means of modifiing?  that would seem to be permanant.  and can i still take the baseplate off for cleaning?

thanks

....  my opinion....  NO....  why?

Remove baseplate, that has mag block epoxied on body......  toss it add new baseplate on mag body....  'large cap mag'

Either you need to permanently affix the baseplate with mag block in or cut the body to not be able to accept more than ten if you want to remove the baseplate.

I just got 3 Magblocks for my Beretta 92 mags just as a test. Factory mags would only hold 9 rounds. MacGar mag held 11! Surprise! 

So test before epoxying. BTW Magblock is sending me unepoxied inserts now to hand fit. Seems their shop may be rushing orders out and not quite setting the insert right. They couldn't explain why 11 rounds fit in the MacGar mag and asked me to tell them what setting it ended up using. Tt6zRr8icVtjcFrCNrso86kOxVvsTKosS9vNoowC

25 minutes ago, SmittyMHS said:

I just got 3 Magblocks for my Beretta 92 mags just as a test. Factory mags would only hold 9 rounds. MacGar mag held 11! Surprise! 

So test before epoxying. BTW Magblock is sending me unepoxied inserts now to hand fit. Seems their shop may be rushing orders out and not quite setting the insert right. They couldn't explain why 11 rounds fit in the MacGar mag and asked me to tell them what setting it ended up using. Tt6zRr8icVtjcFrCNrso86kOxVvsTKosS9vNoowC

Yea, the owner is good guy, he tries his best. My XDM blockers worked my PPQ m2s (9 and 45) did not even after the 2 sets he sent me. Have to try them at the range to be sure before using the epoxy of course.

It's amazing these morons in Trenton can pass these laws, then WE, the PEOPLE, have to pay for lawyers to fight for OUR rights, AND we pay for the OTHER SIDE via taxes! We get fooked both ways! If any of these laws get over-turned, those that proposed them AND voted in FAVOR for them, and those that SIGNED them, should be fired!

Damn these politicians make me sick to my stomach!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, M4BGRINGO said:

It's amazing these morons in Trenton can pass these laws, then WE, the PEOPLE, have to pay for lawyers to fight for OUR rights, AND we pay for the OTHER SIDE via taxes! We get fooked both ways! If any of these laws get over-turned, those that proposed them AND voted in FAVOR for them, and those that SIGNED them, should be fired!

Damn these politicians make me sick to my stomach!

Amazing how the law of the land, ruled that it applies to the states is still being bypassed with illegal and Unconstitutional laws.... All in the name of safety. It's a win/win for progressives, they can slowly disarm you or entice you to revolt. Is there a 3rd option? There's many but how to implement them is another story. 

http://jesticearms.com/10-30-Magazines/10-30-Magpul-M3-300-Blackout-PMAG-AR15-Front-Rivet

Opinions on legality of something like this?

Magazine has a rivet stuck in the body, preventing it from loading more than 10 rounds.

Base plate comes off, but follower and spring cannot come out of the magazine because rivet is blocking them in. 

Rivet is aluminum and would need to be drilled out to be removed. 

On 6/14/2018 at 6:53 PM, jaybirdtke said:

Does this mean we do not have to use epoxy in addition to a block?  Instead, are magazine blocks sufficient http://magazineblocks.com/ without epoxy?

I believe on these site it talks about state laws, and it gives guidance that CA is considering the clarification that epoxy is the appropriate permanent approach. 

Its still not definite, but at least a bit of precedent and clarification. 

6 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

According to the NJSP - They will now accept a riveted mag as long as the bottom

is sealed.

Do not ask me why it has to be sealed because you can drill out a mag - I'm just relaying what

was told to us two months ago............

Not worth the electrons or phone call it came on unless it was officially written.  

• Like 1

:popcorn:

Rivets.....  pins....  none are permanent...and the opinions you get here or from njsp mean diddley squat...

Here is all subjective...njsp..best be in writing...

Not I heard....  or someone told me...  or my aunts great nieces kid...

Your flirting with bracelets for a few dollars....  is it truly worth it...????

16 minutes ago, mossburger said:

Correct. A pin can be drifted in and out. A rivet must be destroyed in order to be removed. I would say that is "permanent" but I'm curious as to opinions.

Then why is it that well established NJ FFLs can fix an adjustable stock on an AR with a pin?

Ive also seen AR mags with pins from reputable NJ B&M shops. 

11 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

According to the NJSP - They will now accept a riveted mag as long as the bottom

is sealed.

Do not ask me why it has to be sealed because you can drill out a mag - I'm just relaying what

was told to us two months ago............

i don't trust anyone from the state unless it's in writing.

1 minute ago, JT Custom Guns said:

It is in writing via e-mail..........

That's not letterhead signed by someone with authority to bind the department.  

Hate to be negative, but I wouldn't trust it, at least with what I know.  Was it sent only to you in response to a query, or to the population at large?

My local PD didn't accept my citing of correspondence with NJSP on providing more than three permits and automatic six month extension, as it wasn't official guidance signed out by NJSP. 

18 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Semi-Permanent as apposed to Semi-Temporary.

12 minutes ago, JT Custom Guns said:

is sealed.

OK, so how were these Hexmag mags NJ legal and accepted for the past decade or two?

...." This has all been done here at the Hexmag facility to eliminate 3rd party dealer “blocking”, “pinning”, or “gluing” the magazines ultimately saving the dealer and consumer considerable amounts of money.  The Hexmag 15/30 15 round magazines were made for New Jersey and Colorado. If you live in one of these states or areas with a magazine capacity restriction you are not alone, rest assured that Hexmag has your back."

1483613235-hexmag_exploded_thumbnail.jpg

https://hexmag.com/best-gun-blogs/patented-hexmag-true-riser-system

10 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

Then why is it that well established NJ FFLs can fix an adjustable stock on an AR with a pin?

Ive also seen AR mags with pins from reputable NJ B&M shops. 

Just because they do it.....doesnt mean its legal or will pass scrutiny. 

I know of a reputable dealer that jb welded a few muzzle brakes on....

Ymmv

9 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

OK, so how were these Hexmag mags NJ legal and accepted for the past decade or two?

...." This has all been done here at the Hexmag facility to eliminate 3rd party dealer “blocking”, “pinning”, or “gluing” the magazines ultimately saving the dealer and consumer considerable amounts of money.  The Hexmag 15/30 15 round magazines were made for New Jersey and Colorado. If you live in one of these states or areas with a magazine capacity restriction you are not alone, rest assured that Hexmag has your back."

1483613235-hexmag_exploded_thumbnail.jpg

https://hexmag.com/best-gun-blogs/patented-hexmag-true-riser-system

I was under the inpression that the hexmags use specific length springs.  So if you remove the extended height floorplate, the spring will be useless. 

A cut or reduced length spring won't work without the base that blocks the rest of the volume.  That's fundamentally different than putting a block THROUGH a standard length spring which then could be removed and be fundamentally operational at full capacity again. 

10 minutes ago, JHZR2 said:

I was under the inpression that the hexmags use specific length springs.  So if you remove the extended height floorplate, the spring will be useless. 

Yes, it's a shorter spring, but the base plate isn't welded or epoxied, so it can be removed, so I believe that isn't considered "permanent", yet they claim it is compliant:

...." Magazine capacity is regulated by SENTRY's patented True Riser® System inside of a standard size body which is designed to meet strict compliance regulations in specific regions of the United States. "

10 minutes ago, Contrvlr said:

Only been around since 2013

OK, but aren't they still considered "compliant" with the 15 round max, even if the modification isn't permanent?