Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

Selling Used Brass For $$

Since Freedom Munitions has filed for bankruptcy and no longer accepts spent brass for credit, I went looking for something to do with my 58 pound bucket of brass I was planning on returning.

I have discovered that brass is currently worth $1.40/lb at scrap metal dealers. That's what FM was crediting me, except I had to spend around $18 to ship it to them.

So this afternoon I turned in that brass for $81.20 cash, which will buy me over 8 boxes of 9mm. So I won't be missing FM all that much.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Since Freedom Munitions has filed for bankruptcy and no longer accepts spent brass for credit, I went looking for something to do with my 58 pound bucket of brass I was planning on returning.

I have discovered that brass is currently worth $1.40/lb at scrap metal dealers. That's what FM was crediting me, except I had to spend around $18 to ship it to them.

So this afternoon I turned in that brass for $81.20 cash, which will buy me over 8 boxes of 9mm. So I won't be missing FM all that much.

Scrapping is good. 

Reloading here is our next step.

That's right Zeke. Reloading is always lurking in my basement too. I saved a quantity of known good brass for future 'emergencies', and my RCBS implements are ready to spring into action if necessary.

I would just like to dedicate my time to other things at the moment.

Like... shooting!

• Like 1

I haven't been paying close attention the reloading topics on the forum since I normally don't.

Is $1.40/lb for handgun center-fire brass an accepted rate among re loaders. Or more? Or less?

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I also sell my brass as scrap metal when I get enough of it.  Not only don't I have the time or desire to reload, but I don't understand how it would help in times of an ammo shortage, as one would still need to purchase bullets, primers, and powder.  (Unless, one were to cast bullets, which is way more involved than I would want to get.)

1 hour ago, 45Doll said:

I haven't been paying close attention the reloading topics on the forum since I normally don't.

Is $1.40/lb for handgun center-fire brass an accepted rate among re loaders. Or more? Or less?

A reloader will give you wayyyy more than the scrap yard

36 minutes ago, louu said:

A reloader will give you wayyyy more than the scrap yard

Well, I'll be happy to offer my next bucket worth when I have it. It will be all brass, but not sorted and of various calibers. And, of course, I'm not shipping it. So there would have to be a mutually convenient point of exchange in lower Sussex or western Morris county. If anyone cares to meet the scrap price they can have it.

16 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I also sell my brass as scrap metal when I get enough of it.  Not only don't I have the time or desire to reload, but I don't understand how it would help in times of an ammo shortage, as one would still need to purchase bullets, primers, and powder.  (Unless, one were to cast bullets, which is way more involved than I would want to get.)

Cost and storage.  I can store the components to load 10s of thousands of rounds in a small amount of space.   Even if reloading prices increase its well less than loaded ammo.   

There are plenty of reloaders that would have bought that bucket for more that you got at the scrap yard.  You would get even more with the spent primers removed (another story).  Hit us up first before doing it again, especially if once fired brass.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, T Bill said:

There are plenty of reloaders that would have bought that bucket for more that you got at the scrap yard.  You would get even more with the spent primers removed (another story).  Hit us up first before doing it again, especially if once fired brass.  Thanks.

I willl definitely do that. Personally, aside from the money, I'd rather see the brass go to productive use.

• Like 1

Scrapping casings will not maximize profits. A couple weeks ago I got $1.80/lb for brass and they picked up. I guess if you just scrap casings they give you less, but I'm seeing $1.55 for brass casings. Anyone buying them at $1.40/lb is getting a good deal.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Where do you guys go to get rid of the brass?  Where are the scrap centers?  I live in Somerset County.  I have 80-100 lbs of brass.  A mixed lot, 9mm, .45 cal, .40 cal, 38 Special, .233, and 30-06. Once fired brass.  I have no time or interest to separate.  I just want to get rid of it with one trip.  Thanks.

• Like 1