Might I ask why no CR123? If you aren't aware, there are rechargables available which are great - I have had great luck with Eagletac rcr123s, they run about $8 each, but will last you years. Charger will add $10-20 (I have Nitecore charger). With daily use, I typically get 2 weeks+ of use per charge. Do note that rechargable rcr123s usually get up to 4.2v fully charged and 3.7 typical, so they may not work in devices designed for standard lithiums at 3.7-3.0v, and none should be run undervoltage (get protected cells if you get one). There are also 18650 and 17670 cells which are 2x length and will give much longer runtimes.

As such, not familiar with AA offerings out there. I run a large number of Olight brand lights, with excellent results, and they may have some AA offerings. I think Streamlight may have some too, and Fenix are another well-liked brand. Mini Maglite is another good option if it has the LED and clicky tailcap.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

I'm in need of a new EDC flashlight for work. Looking for rechargeble or AA batteries no cr123. I don't need something super bright either. Any suggestions?

i use streamlight stinger at the shop. https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-75458-Rechargeable-Flashlight-Piggyback/dp/B00BD9OKC6/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1529107856&sr=8-7&keywords=streamlight+stinger+hpl

it's kinda big for edc although i keep it in my back pocket most of the work day. it takes every bit of the beating i give it

• Like 1

OLight makes good stuff. I have a couple of their lights. They hold up well.

* To update: I have gotten rid of all of my Olights. I no longer trust them to function safely, and the lower cost is not enough to offset the reduced reliability.

They ran very hot, batteries became finicky, chargers quickly broke and switches were not as robust as I normally like.

Edited by High Exposure
Edited to reflect 4.5 years of experience with these lights.
  • Like 3

Cool, I have an older olight warrior and it has been through allot of abuse but it takes cr123 I'll check out their new offerings.

I'll check out the foursevens also. 

@Malice4you No cr123 because the good ones aren't cheap and I'll be going through them allot and I get free AA from work. 

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Cool, I have an older olight warrior and it has been through allot of abuse but it takes cr123 I'll check out their new offerings.

No cr123 because the good ones aren't cheap and I'll be going through them allot and I get free AA from work. 

They make CR123 batteries that have a mini USB port to recharge.  And CR123 batteries that can recharge in the light.  

53 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

They make CR123 batteries that have a mini USB port to recharge.  And CR123 batteries that can recharge in the light.  

Yeah, I'm kinda liking the olights that have a charging base. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, fishnut said:

I'll check out the foursevens also. 

@Malice4you No cr123 because the good ones aren't cheap and I'll be going through them allot and I get free AA from work. 

If it is an m20 or m21 warrior, that should work with a single 17670 or 18650 battery and would provide likely 2-3x longer runtimes than 2x cr123s - that is what I run in the 3 or 4 M20 and M21 lights I own, but again, I already had a charger. If you dislike the batteries used in it, might sell that one off to help fund a new one, or get 2 surefire cr123s to keep in it for 10 years for emergency use in the car or something.

If I didn't have rechargeable cr123s/17670/18650, I would be spending $250+ a year on batteries for lights I have now. I have at least 12 lights which get used frequently to almost never and all get rcr123s/etc, and I am changing out something at least once a week

Free batteries would certainly sway me in that case.

I believe the forum is candlepower forums, it will come up in a search, there should be a load of info for you there on specifics of 1 or 2 models you narrow your choice to, and probably where best price is too. More than you ever wanted to know, probably.

• Like 1

Ended up with the Olight SR1 baton. So far I like it. My only complaint is it comes with a USB charger and the cord is very short. Luckily I had a wall plug for it because I don't have a desktop computer to plug it into. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 9:37 AM, fishnut said:

Ended up with the Olight SR1 baton. So far I like it. My only complaint is it comes with a USB charger and the cord is very short. Luckily I had a wall plug for it because I don't have a desktop computer to plug it into. 

How has it held up so far?

Pretty good, it's a little small and the button can be annoying to find but I dropped it into a 4' deep pool and it held it up fine to that. Over all I like it it works well for what I need it for. 

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 9:37 AM, fishnut said:

My only complaint is it comes with a USB charger and the cord is very short. Luckily I had a wall plug for it because I don't have a desktop computer to plug it into. 

https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Extension-Cable-Male-Female/dp/B00NH11PEY/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1531193684&sr=1-3&keywords=usb+extension+cable

• Like 1