Howard

Made it too FL, but not a good welcome

33 posts in this topic

Made my NJ escape and we arrived at our rental home around 4pm Sunday. Unpacked the cars and went to the local market for food. We got into the car to leave the market at 6:48pm when I felt a bang as the woman across the parking aisle slams into the rear of my car. Unlike NJ where she would have blamed me and called an ambulance claiming an injury she 100% admitted fault and was so upset. We kept telling her to relax it was just property damage and no one was hurt and she had not hit a person. My wife called police who showed up to take report in less than 10 minutes. Agreed she was at fault and wrote her $160 ticket for improper backing with three points. But she can take a two hour online course and wipe the points. Her insurance will ultimately pay for everything, but the repair place my insurance company suggests using which is huge here can’t do repairs for a month, oh well. Guess I’ll be driving an ugly car for a while.

 

Met my new neighbor who is retired marine and real gun guy. Said I will have to come see his gun room. He was packing a G26 appendix carry in his shorts. He is also a firearms instructor part time and looking to build two ranges on land he owns. He can use some extra cash to get started so we are going to talk, maybe I’ll get into the range business.

 

He shoots IDPA and loves both of my plates. Said he was going to take a picture, which he must have done while I was out. As I got home an old NJ friend who lives about 25 minutes away said I am the talk of the internet as everyone is talking about the new guy from NJ and his gun plates. I will like it here, except for the drivers.

5 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Howard said:

 


St Johns, just below Jacksonville although I actually have a Jacksonville mailing address.

So you're at one end of I-4 and I'm at the other... Hope you are north of I-4, as that's the demarc line between "us" and "them.."  :D

How was the trip down?  Did you take the I-81 --> I-77 --> I-26 route?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So you're at one end of I-4 and I'm at the other... Hope you are north of I-4, as that's the demarc line between "us" and "them.." 
How was the trip down?  Did you take the I-81 --> I-77 --> I-26 route?
 
isnt I4 Down near Orlando? I’m North and about three hours from there. Yes went that way and trip was great till we linked up with 95 in SC and then had all the NY, NJ and CT drivers that drive slow in the left lane and weave in and out like crazy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Howard said:
9 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:
So you're at one end of I-4 and I'm at the other... Hope you are north of I-4, as that's the demarc line between "us" and "them.."  emoji3.png
How was the trip down?  Did you take the I-81 --> I-77 --> I-26 route?
 

isnt I4 Down near Orlando? I’m North and about three hours from there. Yes went that way and trip was great till we linked up with 95 in SC and then had all the NY, NJ and CT drivers that drive slow in the left lane and weave in and out like crazy.

Well, I-4 continues past Orlando, going northeast towards Daytona Beach, where it terminates, there.  So, obviously, you must be north of that.  Excellent!

Yeah, not too much one can do about getting back on I-95 after you leave I-26, but... And the problem with it is, it's still 2-lanes each way until you reach Georgia.  :dontknow:  I trust your dogs survived.  Did you see the Cabela's on the SC Borderline, even if you couldn't stop there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Well, I-4 continues past Orlando, going northeast towards Daytona Beach, where it terminates, there.  So, obviously, you must be north of that.  Excellent!
Yeah, not too much one can do about getting back on I-95 after you leave I-26, but... And the problem with it is, it's still 2-lanes each way until you reach Georgia.  :dontknow:  I trust your dogs survived.  Did you see the Cabela's on the SC Borderline, even if you couldn't stop there?


Yes saw the Cabelas but no time to stop. The dogs did great even though both cars were packed to the gills. My wife took two and I took one, as I had my trunk stuffed with “tools” :). Now just waiting for the PODS to arrive Friday and tomorrow we actually get internet installed. Getting old using my phone to surf the web.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry for your fender bender, Howard. But, I think it's pretty cool that you've so quickly established your firearms "street cred" down there, LMAO!!! When you become a big, successful range owner - umm, we're all invited for a free weekend of shooting, riiiight? :)

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats Howard.  Yeah, Florida drivers suck.  It’s way worse than in NJ even in parking lots of Publix or Walmart.  Just be super vigilante and don’t let road rage get the best of you.  I’ve learned you gotta be a super defensive driver down here and keep calm in the face of countless a$$holes on the road. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully your PODS will be on time.  When my BIL moved down to Delray Beach the actual delivery date was a week later than the scheduled delivery date. He was pissed.  But, the fine print in the contract let them get away with it.  He was not finished up here with work so he had to return to NJ and then book a weekend R/T flight the next weekend so he could unload it.

Glad to hear from you, that all is well, and good luck.  I would love to move but too many strings attached for now.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Howard said:

 

Made my NJ escape and we arrived at our rental home around 4pm Sunday. Unpacked the cars and went to the local market for food. We got into the car to leave the market at 6:48pm when I felt a bang as the woman across the parking aisle slams into the rear of my car. Unlike NJ where she would have blamed me and called an ambulance claiming an injury she 100% admitted fault and was so upset. We kept telling her to relax it was just property damage and no one was hurt and she had not hit a person. My wife called police who showed up to take report in less than 10 minutes. Agreed she was at fault and wrote her $160 ticket for improper backing with three points. But she can take a two hour online course and wipe the points. Her insurance will ultimately pay for everything, but the repair place my insurance company suggests using which is huge here can’t do repairs for a month, oh well. Guess I’ll be driving an ugly car for a while.

 

Met my new neighbor who is retired marine and real gun guy. Said I will have to come see his gun room. He was packing a G26 appendix carry in his shorts. He is also a firearms instructor part time and looking to build two ranges on land he owns. He can use some extra cash to get started so we are going to talk, maybe I’ll get into the range business.

 

He shoots IDPA and loves both of my plates. Said he was going to take a picture, which he must have done while I was out. As I got home an old NJ friend who lives about 25 minutes away said I am the talk of the internet as everyone is talking about the new guy from NJ and his gun plates. I will like it here, except for the drivers.

 

I simply love this post.....  GOOD FOR YOU....

 

May the wind always at your back filling your sails and brilliant sunshine on your face.....

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Congrats Howard.  Yeah, Florida drivers suck.  It’s way worse than in NJ even in parking lots of Publix or Walmart.  Just be super vigilante and don’t let road rage get the best of you.  I’ve learned you gotta be a super defensive driver down here and keep calm in the face of countless a$$holes on the road. 

Well, remember, FL drivers (at least the ones you see on the Interstates) are usually from other States (NJ, MI, NY) and even other Countries (a lot of Canadian plates here as well).   I think native FL drivers are pretty decent, albeit slow and deliberate, causing the others to do stupid/dangerous things to get around them. I've learned to take it easy and not push, and stay in the slow lane. Again, it also helps that the speed limits are generally higher in FL than in NJ (65 max on Interstates and TPK;  70 in FL)  And many state highways off the beaten path are in the 60-65 range when they're sufficiently away from a town center (where it slows down).  You can always tell when you're approaching a town as the speed limit generally decreases to about 30-35, and then goes back up to what it was, once you leave the town center.

BTW, Howard, if you need to take US-301 to get anywhere, take care as the old stories about the "speed trap towns" are true, and they're still operating as such... Two of them that I know of (City of Lawtey, and City of Starke, both in Bradford County). Both still have municipal LEAs that enforce those speed laws. The City of Waldo, Alachua county, (the worst offender) no longer has a local LEA but is patrolled by the Alachua County Sheriff's Dept. Not as dangerous as before, but I'd still be cautious. I've definitely seen the speed trap active in Lawtey.   Speed Limit is 45 in those sections of Lawtey. Do not go over it. Starke can go down to 30-35 in the downtown area. The general limit outside of the towns is 65.  Waldo has a section where it's 45, then it's 55, then it's 45 again, before it goes back up to 65. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah.... if "Starke" sounds familiar, it's because it's the county seat of Bradford county. It's also the official mailing location for the "Florida State Prison" (i.e where the male "Death Row" and the Execution chambers are)  which is about 10-12 miles up FL 16 from the town center (US 301 & FL 16).  The prison complex is on unincorporated land shared between two different counties, separated by the "New" river.  The "Union Correctional Institution" (formerly Florida State Prison - West" is on the Union county side, and it's mailing location is the Town of Raiford. The Florida State Prison (formerly FSP - East) is on the Bradford county side, so it's mailing location is the City of Starke. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

It’s love/hate with Publix right now, they caved and pulled Republican contributions.

 I never do Publix unless it's absolutely necessary.  I was a Winn-Dixie guy for a while, until I discovered Wally World! :dancer: There's only one thing I have to go to WD for, now. I found replacements for everything I bought at WD in Wally..  all cheaper.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My wife likes Harris Teeter which is a bit more of a ride.  There's both a publix and winn dixie within 2 miles of my house.  Since it's mostly the two of us and we travel a lot food shopping ins't a big part of what we do.  I do a lot of prime pantry and the farmers market in old town for meet / fish.   Samething in NYC for the most part.  There's a farmers market directly in front of my apartment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made my appointment this morning to apply for my carry permit. Got to the Tax collector's office about 20 minutes early and expected to wait - no, place was empty.  They took me right away and it took ten minutes to fill out the papers, get a picture taken, and my prints scanned.  Since I was in St. Augustine I went and hung out with Steven Loh who many of you may know as a four year NJ escapee who shoots IDPA and USPSA.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Howard said:

Made my appointment this morning to apply for my carry permit. Got to the Tax collector's office about 20 minutes early and expected to wait - no, place was empty.  They took me right away and it took ten minutes to fill out the papers, get a picture taken, and my prints scanned.  Since I was in St. Augustine I went and hung out with Steven Loh who many of you may know as a four year NJ escapee who shoots IDPA and USPSA.

How long did they say it would take to receive it, and what did they accept for "proof of training?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
How long did they say it would take to receive it, and what did they accept for "proof of training?"


Said it could be as long as six weeks or as short as 5 days, most about two weeks. For proof they accept a qualification car in any shooting sport, so I gave them both my IDPA and USPSA cards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Howard said:

 


Said it could be as long as six weeks or as short as 5 days, most about two weeks. For proof they accept a qualification car in any shooting sport, so I gave them both my IDPA and USPSA cards.

Fair enough.  It depends on the volume the state is processing. On your next renewal, you should go directly to the closest DOACS regional office (there's one in Tampa). You can be in and out in like 5 minutes with card in hand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Howard said:

 


Said it could be as long as six weeks or as short as 5 days, most about two weeks. For proof they accept a qualification car in any shooting sport, so I gave them both my IDPA and USPSA cards.

 

My wife received hers in 3 days recently, they are very efficient down here!  My renewal took 10 minutes, they print the cards for renewals on the spot right in the local county offices (no need for doacs anymore). 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My wife received hers in 3 days recently, they are very efficient down here!  My renewal took 10 minutes, they print the cards for renewals on the spot right in the local county offices (no need for doacs anymore). 


Wow! What office did she do it at? I did mine in St. Augustine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now