JerseyJim

Reloaderz NJ finally making progress

Very interesting pricing.  I ran the numbers through a spreadsheet to compare.  The monthly plan works well if you don't need the frills.  The unit I am comparing is a visit-hour which is one hour at a port with one guest/spouse.  As you make more visits each month, the cost per visit drops.  

Note:  The numbers in the table don't include sales tax. Also, the perks like free rentals, other discounts, etc. are not taken into account.  This is strictly for stopping by and shooting your own gun & ammo for one hour.

Reloaderz_2Person.jpg

I agree, the monthly package makes the most sense for people who shoot a lot, and with a guest. $780 a year gives you all week long access, weekend access and a guest. The math works out best though for members of Longshots - For $449 you get weekdays free and a window of 2 hours on weekends free for a year. That's $72 less that the Reloaderz premier before you add any lane fees or guest fees. 

I'm assuming here that most are like me - shoot on weekends 2 times a month and bring your own gun/ammo. This pricing isn't attractive unless you have lots of weekday free time and like to shoot on weekends. I'm disappointed, and had hoped they would be more competitive as it's a new place and they want to drum up business.   

39 minutes ago, Clifton1979 said:

I'm assuming here that most are like me - shoot on weekends 2 times a month and bring your own gun/ammo. This pricing isn't attractive unless you have lots of weekday free time and like to shoot on weekends.

I usually shoot Cherry Ridge on weekends but would consider a weekday monthly.  It depends on their hours during the week (not yet disclosed.)  They are only 2 miles from my home and if they were open to, let's say, 10 PM during the week I would be interested.  I am an owner and am not interested in rentals nor buying their ammo.  From what I have seen at GFH, indoor ranges are no place to be on weekends.

5 minutes ago, JerseyJim said:

I usually shoot Cherry Ridge on weekends but would consider a weekday monthly.  It depends on their hours during the week (not yet disclosed.)  They are only 2 miles from my home and if they were open to, let's say, 10 PM during the week I would be interested.  I am an owner and am not interested in rentals nor buying their ammo.  From what I have seen at GFH, indoor ranges are no place to be on weekends.

I’m on the fence for cherry ridge only cause I assume on rainy weekend days it’s not much fun to be outside wet. 30 minutes drive worth it? Everyone says it’s the best (and gives me a reason to go clay busting / buy a .308 rifle for fun!) $240 year one and $170 each year after. I like that math for a whole year :)

I will say that when I go to indoor ranges, if you go early (like 8am) on a weekend there aren’t any firing line or safety offenders. Later in the day is no bueno, with renters and undisciplined punters roaming free. 

A friend of mine will be working at Reloaderz so he gave me a tour last night.  It's ALMOST finished so they plan to be open in January.

To say that it looks fantastic is an understatement.  You can tell that the owners put a lot of money into the design and construction.  I'd have to write about three full pages to give an adequate description, so I'll just give some bullet points

- The 15 port range area is state of the art.  Touchpad system with pre-programmed courses of fire and settings for lights (police and strobe) and speed.

- Good lane size and good walls between lanes to help keep people's shells away from each other

- 5 ports with broader tables for rifle shooters

- State of the art climate and air purification system

- Very large waiting/lounge area with big-screen TV's and couches.  I think this is a huge benefit.  If there are lines you have a place to wait, or if you're going to meet someone there you can just wait and chill

- For those who rent there is a very large wall of guns to choose from and I believe they will have new guns available for purchase that match the rentals.'

- Decent parking.  There's parking in front, in the back, and in the adjacent lot where a diner used to be (soon to be a Starbucks)

Geez, and here we were talking about Central Jersey and Old Bridge being expensive. =)

About to go shoot here.. $30.... per year. 100 yard rifle, 25 yard pistol and a place for clays. 

There are already massive changes happening and unfortunately I feel a lot of these new ranges are too late to enter the market... RTSP, GFH hit it just right on the timing side.  

There is also a VIP lounge and a private entrance to the lounge for VIP members, but I didn't get to see what that looks like.

Overall I was very impressed.  If they have a good marketing and advertising plan in place I think they'll do very well and get positive word of mouth.

I honestly was trying to be picky and look for things to complain about, but these guys did a great job IMO and had a great attention to detail.

I hope they do well.

2 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

There is also a VIP lounge and a private entrance to the lounge for VIP members, but I didn't get to see what that looks like.

Overall I was very impressed.  If they have a good marketing and advertising plan in place I think they'll do very well and get positive word of mouth.

I honestly was trying to be picky and look for things to complain about, but these guys did a great job IMO and had a great attention to detail.

I hope they do well.

Private entrance? Eh... only if you are a Kardashian. =)

On the VIP lounge... I think everyone in that area has one... TTC, GFH, RTSP.

The targets are the standard Action Targets, which are nice, but once again nothing too different from other local ranges... in fact there are only 2 main range systems out there.

Overall, I am sure it will be 100% a nice, modern range... but do not see anything from the website that differentiates it so far.

10 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Private entrance? Eh... only if you are a Kardashian. =)

On the VIP lounge... I think everyone in that area has one... TTC, GFH, RTSP.

The targets are the standard Action Targets, which are nice, but once again nothing too different from other local ranges... in fact there are only 2 main range systems out there.

Overall, I am sure it will be 100% a nice, modern range... but do not see anything from the website that differentiates it so far.

My experience with target systems is limited, so I'll take your word that the "ACTION TARGET™ AWD PRO™" system is common, but I've never shot at a range that allows targets moving with pre-programmed games and training scenarios.

That's definitely not what GFH has in their current range.  Maybe they'll have it in the expanded one?

And yes, I was like a kid in a candy shop, so I was impressed with the modern/newness feel, so it will be interesting to see what they do to make themselves different from the others.

3 minutes ago, 124gr9mm said:

My experience with target systems is limited, so I'll take your word that the "ACTION TARGET™ AWD PRO™" system is common, but I've never shot at a range that allows targets moving with pre-programmed games and training scenarios.

That's definitely not what GFH has in their current range.  Maybe they'll have it in the expanded one?

And yes, I was like a kid in a candy shop, so I was impressed with the modern/newness feel, so it will be interesting to see what they do to make themselves different from the others.

I meant the spinning touch screens, etc.  

I played with the latest at Shot Show and it is really cool, but quite honestly 98% of the time you are at the range, you are shooting at a static target anyway.

Targets moving, shooting crosslane, etc, are not going to be used in most public ranges as they do not want people to shoot cross lane, and once again, if the range is busy, you are not doing it anyway.  Those features are great for LE and private events however.

I would say in North Jersey, ever since Rays closed down, there was a big whole for a public range.  Add in the range in Hillsborough that closed down.  That left opening for a "nice" range to come in with good clean air.  GFH, RTSP and TTC filled that niche quite well and have been very successful simply being clean, public ranges in the area..  Newer entrants are just providing more of the same and I feel we are hitting a saturation point there.  To top it off, economy is cooling off in major sectors and debt crisis 2.0 will be here in the next 12 months... how much will that leave in people's pockets to pay such high fees to go shoot?

Or... you spend $250 or so on a membership to GSSC in Lakewood and spend $300 on gas or towards another gun.

For many in North Jersey, they simply take a ride down 78 or 80 to the nearest range in PA.  Outdoor ranges here are about $30 per year.  The membership of my club here is about 30% or more from NJ, even from NYC.

1 hour ago, Maksim said:

GFH, RTSP and TTC filled that niche quite well and have been very successful simply being clean, public ranges in the area..  Newer entrants are just providing more of the same and I feel we are hitting a saturation point there.  To top it off, economy is cooling off in major sectors and debt crisis 2.0 will be here in the next 12 months... how much will that leave in people's pockets to pay such high fees to go shoot?

Or... you spend $250 or so on a membership to GSSC in Lakewood and spend $300 on gas or towards another gun.

For many in North Jersey, they simply take a ride down 78 or 80 to the nearest range in PA.  Outdoor ranges here are about $30 per year.  The membership of my club here is about 30% or more from NJ, even from NYC.

Time will tell. 

I'm sure there are people who make the drive you're talking about, but that's a massive time burn, so I think there are many more who would prefer not to travel that much and have a place locally where they could drop in when it's convenient.

Again, with a good marketing/advertising plan I think Reloaderz could be very successful.  Once they get people in the door the setup/atmosphere are really fantastic.

I hope Reloaderz, GFH, RTSP, and all of the other ranges are massively successful.

Do I wish they were cheaper?  Hell yes, but the options out there and the more competition there is, the more opportunities there could be for smaller, less expensive places to open and fill the price gap.

Considering that this place is just 10 minutes or less from me, I'm watching it closely. A friend of mine took a look at it, and reported that it is really impressive.  How much should a range cost?  It's simple economics.  What people are willing to pay determines what they can charge.

I pay $130 a year for my membership at Cherry Ridge (senior rate), and I love it there.  But I also have a gold membership at GFH, because I like shooting handguns, shotguns, and pistol caliber carbines there.  Plus, I like GFH when the weather is less than perfect.  I'm way too old to be sitting outdoors shooting when there's snow on the ground and the temperature is below freezing. 

• Like 1

I say the more the merry .. not only will it help keep membership and range prices reasonable (hopefully).. the more gun ranges around, the more people ( newer people get exposed) and start shooting and getting into guns. The more it becomes normal and less scary or or hidden. maybe more people will start waking up to the anti liberal agenda against guns.  One could hope anyway. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

Need to do a Top Golf for firearms. 

This would do:

https://www.wilshiregun.com/

"Wilshire Gun is the first of its kind in the nation, let alone Oklahoma. High Caliber Entertainment isn't just a tagline. Our locally owned, climate controlled shooting range has a lot to offer. We have over 50 full auto rentals, 101 yard indoor range, 25 and 35 yard ranges, great food from our onsite restaurant, and a full bar & cigar lounge!"

Got excited when I saw monthly price for weekday only visits but realized it's a 12 month commitment that would cost me 3 times my Cherry Ridge membership. Was hoping for short term indoor range for the winter but oh well...like OldGlockGuy said winters are getting tough on us elders :(

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, siderman said:

Got excited when I saw monthly price for weekday only visits but realized it's a 12 month commitment that would cost me 3 times my Cherry Ridge membership. Was hoping for short term indoor range for the winter but oh well...like OldGlockGuy said winters are getting tough on us elders :(

It’s a Costco,sams club, bj’s, Amazon prime business model. But as always, depends on the market.

( I have zero affiliation with any norf joisey gun range)

Bravo for another public range opening up in northern NJ. These places are great because they are tailor made for first time or newbie shooters. The rentals, the range orientation, ammo, targets, eye and ear pro all on site. No, its not cheap but that’s not the point. It’s another place for people to shoot and that’s awesome. I wish them the best of luck. Will definitely stop in and check the place out when it opens because I live less then 10 minutes away. May not shoot there because I belong to a bunch of different ranges but I would like to see what they are all about. Really excited about another luxury, state of the art range opening up in the area. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, myhatinthering said:

for me it's cjrpc

I shoot quite a bit, paying for fees everytime would be too much

I do as well.  not only is it counter intuitive to get more people involved in this hobby if you charge on top of the membership fees... ie; in some ranges its priced as if its only for the rich and elite... and frankly for me it's about principle.  if im a member of something..  I shouldnt have to pay to range time.   im in to "join" the club ...not a get a coupon card that gets me a discount.

• Like 2

It’s annoying to have both but I’m sure someone there has done the math. I cannot fathom the business/economic trade offs they have to work through.  Yearly memberships gives them more consistent income but if they rely on that to cover all their operations then memberships are probably prohibitively expensive for the market. 

7 minutes ago, voyager9 said:

It’s annoying to have both but I’m sure someone there has done the math. I cannot fathom the business/economic trade offs they have to work through.  Yearly memberships gives them more consistent income but if they rely on that to cover all their operations then memberships are probably prohibitively expensive for the market. 

not true as evidenced we've got them in the state with this model.