gfl216

Question On The Use Of WMA Ranges

Are the WMA ranges closed or at least frowned upon using during certain hunting seasons? I would imagine that someone sitting in a tree stand for hours waiting for a deer to walk past would be pretty mad if I started shooting clays and scare them off. I looked on the state web page but didn't find anything. Just wondering what the protocol is?

I've shot clays at Clinton, Stafford Forge, and Makepeace. Throughout all times of the year, never gotten any frowns or any grief. Clinton and Makepeace are pretty popular, can't imagine it being a great hunting location due to the amount of shots going. Not a hunter though, cant speak from that perspective.

52 minutes ago, gfl216 said:

Are the WMA ranges closed or at least frowned upon using during certain hunting seasons? I would imagine that someone sitting in a tree stand for hours waiting for a deer to walk past would be pretty mad if I started shooting clays and scare them off. I looked on the state web page but didn't find anything. Just wondering what the protocol is?

Not at all.  They're training ranges and not part of the hunting areas IIRC.

The ranges do not close for hinting seasons. The ranges are in fact part of the hunting area and some people do hunt around them. At least at Clinton it is. The deer and birds are pretty used to the noise and don't really seem to care. I've seen deer, pheasants and turkey with baby's on the Clinton clay range while people were shooting. I've also seen crow hunters with a decoy spread in the clay range.  

7 hours ago, ogfarmer said:

matter of fact the pheasant hunters at clinton walk in brush downrange and tend to get rained on by pellets, Seen it many times and they don't seem to care, 

To hunt at Clinton you have to be ok with getting pallets rained down on you. That's why I stopped going and went to Pequest instead.