Sign in to follow this  
45Doll

Opinions on Taurus 605

A family member won a Taurus 605 in a raffle. I know nothing about this brand or model. If anyone has experience with it and/or an opinion on it I'd like to hear it.

I'm not looking to compare it with other platforms or calibers (Glock,1911 etc.). Just an opinion on it's worth for what it is.

If there's comparisons to other .357 SB revolvers that would be relevant.

Thanks in advance.

I don't have a 605 but a few other Taurus J frame size revolvers.  All have run fine.  The oldest is from 1988. The newest made last year. The basic design hasn't changed since then.

The only problem I see is that I have with any J frame size 357.  Using magnums you get a lot more recoil, muzzle blast, and loss of control.  You get all that at a gain of maybe 100 fps (or even less) because of the short barrel.

I carried a 640 for a few years.  Found I could still max a Qual course with it using magnums but you really don't want to shoot it more than that 60 rds.  I carried it with +P+.  Loss of about 50 fps in velocity and a lot more controllability.

You're much better off shooting 38s in it.  Yeah, try the magnums but you'll like shooting 38s a lot better with no real loss in efficiency. 

Hard to learn revolver shooting with because of its size and short sight radius.

If a J frame isn't your relative's cup of tea let me know I might be interested in it.

If it is I think they can't go wrong keeping it.  I carry a J frame size gun probably more than any other.  Not the best gun to have in a fight but it will take care of most situations.

Thanks Griz. I'll keep all of that in mind and pass it on.

I have a Ruger LCR in .357, and I agree with your assessment of .38 vs .357. Haven't actually tried a +P+ round in it. I'll have to do that for comparison. About 20 rounds of .357 is all I'm interested in for one session. .38 fills the rest of the time.

16 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Did ya get one?

No we (she) didn't. I think we're going to use the win as a credit and gift a firearm to our daughter who's a PA resident. A lot less hassle.

Probably a PPQ 9mm or VP9.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 45Doll said:

No we (she) didn't. I think we're going to use the win as a credit and gift a firearm to our daughter who's a PA resident. A lot less hassle.

Probably a PPQ 9mm or VP9.

Two excellent, top of the food chain 9mms.  Although I think a 92FS of some flavor would be better 

@45Doll FWIW if you want to consider a full size 9mm I'd look at the Taurus PT92 (or PT99 in adjustable sights).  The safety is a bit different than the Beretta otherwise it's basically the same.  Taurus had issues with their polymer frame semiautomatics but none with their metal frame guns like the PT92.

I bought my PT99 in 1988 and carried it as a duty gun for about 6-7 years.  It has the older safety which functioned the same as a 1911 which I also carried at the time.  The only issue I had with it was the rear sight leaf broke after 5 years or so (that happens with S&W adj sight guns too).  Sent it to Taurus and got it back in about 2 weeks.  The only reason I stopped carrying it was my agency came out with a more restrictive list of authorized guns by name instead of specifications (which the Taurus all met).  Policy also required semiautomatics to be DA and I replaced the Taurus and 1911 with a 6906 and Ruger P90.

I just had the PT99 out last week with my grandson.

Another plus for the Taurus PT92 is its about 2/3 the price of the Beretta.