Sign in to follow this  
Old Glock guy

Sig Sauer Academy AAR

I posted this in the Formal Instruction thread, but it seems to have gotten lost there.  Thought some might find this interesting, or perhaps even helpful. Hope cross-posting is not a punishable offense.

I just spent a few days up in NH at Sig Sauer Academy over the weekend.  Took their one day Defensive Handgun 104, which was relatively basic, but a good review, particularly in one-handed weapons manipulation.

The other class I attended was a two-day Extreme Close Quarters Battle Long Gun with Todd Rassa, which I really enjoyed.  I ran it with a Ruger PC9, a shotgun, and an AR.  It involved a lot of unsighted shooting from contact distances using compressed positions, plus it incorporated a good deal of armed and unarmed combatives.  It was more about fighting with a gun than it was about what we normally think of as shooting.  Despite my doing a lot of training, most of it was new to me and quite interesting.  

Here's their description:

https://www.sigsaueracademy.com/productdisplay/extreme-close-quarters-battle-long-gun-rassa

I had not heard of Rassa before the class, but it turns out that he is a terrific instructor.  I would recommend SSA in general, as they offer a ton of classes.  Just wish they were a little closer.  On the upside, with a NH CCP you can carry the whole time you're there. 

Note:  Turns out you don't even need a permit to carry there, as NH has gone Constitutional Carry.  God bless America!

• Like 1

I'm glad you posted good reviews about this.  Once I leave Guam, I'm going to be living in NH, about 2 hours away from the Academy.  I saw their large variety of courses, but wasn't sure of the quality.  Looks like I'll be spending a decent amount of time and money there.

5 hours ago, vjf915 said:

I'm glad you posted good reviews about this.  Once I leave Guam, I'm going to be living in NH, about 2 hours away from the Academy.  I saw their large variety of courses, but wasn't sure of the quality.  Looks like I'll be spending a decent amount of time and money there.

Where you going to? Im 2 hours away from the academy. 

55 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Where you going to? Im 2 hours away from the academy. 

New London.  Okay so my NH geography is off.  I must have been thinking about something else I was looking up.  I will be just a hair over an hour away from the Academy.

I've shot a decent amount, but never gotten official training like this.  If you go there often, we'll have to attend the same class sometime.

11 minutes ago, vjf915 said:

New London.  Okay so my NH geography is off.  I must have been thinking about something else I was looking up.  I will be just a hair over an hour away from the Academy.

I've shot a decent amount, but never gotten official training like this.  If you go there often, we'll have to attend the same class sometime.

Lol. You will be about 2 hours away from me. I'm in Bartlett in the Mt. Washington valley. I have not attended any classes there yet but I'd like to. If definatly be up to meeting up for a class or a range day.

Same goes for you @Old Glock guy let me know next time your up this way. 

• Like 1

I am up at SSA again for a few days of shotgun training. (Fishnut, I appreciate your offer, but I'm on a pretty tight schedule.)

i just saw Advanced Defensive Shotgun pop up on their calendar last week. I had been watching for it for a long time, as it is not offered very often. When I saw it, I cleared my schedule, and headed north.  It's a two day class that builds on their Defensive Shotgun, or similar classes. It was a solid class, that did not disappoint  

When I make the nearly five hour drive up here (this is my third trip), I try to bundle at least a couple of classes, so tomorrow I'll be taking Home Defense Shotguh with Rassa. Just as some people can't get enough cowbell, I'm like that with shotgun. Lol!  I believe that's going to be more CQB, incorporating fighting with the gun as an impact weapon. 

If anyone would like more info, LMK and I'll post an AAR. 

• Like 1