Indianajonze

Phil Murphy wants to make it a lot more expensive to buy a gun in N.J.

12 hours ago, brucin said:

I wouldn't hold up much hope in  the courts regarding fees. NYC fee is $350 for a handgun premises permit  per handgun. renewable every 2 years. A court ruled it constitutional.

I have no idea how but they did.

I don't believe that decision was ever challenged past the state supreme court level for whatever reason.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BobA said:

I don’t think fee rates are too combatable. Look at just motor vehicle registration and fines are for example. 

Driving a car is not a right, neither is owning an "adult business" like the NY court ruled. Not to mention fees for businesses are recouped. 

If you have to pay a ridiculous fee to exercise a right, is it really a right? or is it only something people who can afford to pay it get to exercise?

If the fee is making the state money, to use it beyond a background check for eligibility, then i fail to see how it could even remotely be considered constitutional. Because now you are paying to exercise a right, and not paying for an eligibility check. Some would say, even we shouldn't have to pay for the background check. No I have to prove I am eligible, by paying for background checks?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, BobA said:

I don’t think fee rates are too combatable. Look at just motor vehicle registration and fines are for example. 

Gov Mc Swallow raised all the dmv fees and fines to help him spend his way out of a budget crisis.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BobA said:

I wonder how the Fudds feel now. These fees, f2f sale stoppage and stopping internet ammo sales (proposed) now effect the owners of Grandpa’s shotgun. 

The Fudds don't care. The got their FPID already and their shotgun.  Now make them renew that authorization, they you  may have something.

15 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

I would very much like to see Gov Gopher and Sen Sprinkler have a showdown in the middle of State Street

S&W M19s at 15 paces

Keep Fire-Rescue away and let them both bleed out

The subjects of the Glorious PRNJ will be the winner

Then you get Sheila Oliver.  Be careful what you wish for.

Driving a car is not a right, neither is owning an "adult business" like the NY court ruled. Not to mention fees for businesses are recouped. 

If you have to pay a ridiculous fee to exercise a right, is it really a right? or is it only something people who can afford to pay it get to exercise?

If the fee is making the state money, to use it beyond a background check for eligibility, then i fail to see how it could even remotely be considered constitutional. Because now you are paying to exercise a right, and not paying for an eligibility check. Some would say, even we shouldn't have to pay for the background check. No I have to prove I am eligible, by paying for background checks?

Such a high fee is surely an infringement on the right to keep and bear arms. Even if you could buy a cheap $100 handgun, if it is your first handgun it will cost you $100 for FPID (not needed for handgun but recommended in case you want to buy a rifle one day) + $75 for fingerprints + $50 for permit + $15 for NICS + $25 minimum for transfer fee = $265. That $100 handgun is now $365.

Since FFL licenses are looking to increase 10 fold I am sure the $25 transfer will increase to $35 making it $375 for a $100 handgun or $775 for your typical handgun.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Still less than the street price that Bloods on probation for murder pay in Trenton.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2014/08/12/inside-the-black-market-for-guns/#5f45ebcd181e

I replied, “How about with how much handguns go for on the black market?”

Agent Mulham said, “Well, a quality pistol like a Glock might go for double or triple retail. Lower-quality guns, however, are often worth only $100 or $200 more than retail.”

Agent Mulham and the other two agents—John Curtis and Jason Zamaloff—all weighed in and agreed there is no precise formula for what handguns go for on the street, but basically guns are so readily available the black-market price is typically just a few hundred dollars more than retail.

Still less than the street price that Bloods on probation for murder pay in Trenton.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/frankminiter/2014/08/12/inside-the-black-market-for-guns/#5f45ebcd181e
I replied, “How about with how much handguns go for on the black market?”
Agent Mulham said, “Well, a quality pistol like a Glock might go for double or triple retail. Lower-quality guns, however, are often worth only $100 or $200 more than retail.”
Agent Mulham and the other two agents—John Curtis and Jason Zamaloff—all weighed in and agreed there is no precise formula for what handguns go for on the street, but basically guns are so readily available the black-market price is typically just a few hundred dollars more than retail.

If high fees like proposed are instituted they will expand the black market.

23 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

but basically guns are so readily available the black-market price is typically just a few hundred dollars more than retail.

I read an article not too long ago that said illegal guns get "passed around" on average 6 times before being recovered by police. Seems once a criminal uses it for an adventure, they play pass the hot potato to someone else.

On 6/21/2018 at 9:21 PM, Indianajonze said:

surprised no one's mentioned this little gem. here's the money shot:

The plan would raise the cost for handgun purchase permits from $2 to $50; firearms identification cards from $5 to $100; handgun carry permits from $50 to $400; retail gun dealer licenses from $50 to $500; and wholesaler/manufacturer licenses from $150 to $1,500, among other hikes.

https://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf/2018/06/murphy_wants_to_make_it_more_expensive_to_buy.html

the laughable one to me is the handgun carry permit. may as well make it $10,000 while you're at it.

do you know what i want to see? a federal law mandating that legislators who sponsor and executives who sign into law bills which are deemed to be unconstitutional must be held accountable financially for their transgressions. these ppl know this stuff won't stand legal challenge, but they don't care because it's the taxpayer who foots the bill, not them. it's how you get wave after wave of ludicrous nonsense in these states.

I was thinking the carry permit should be $4000.  It might evoke a response by those retired LEOs who aren’t having a problem with the current changes.  It will highlight that belief that “the monster will eat me last” syndrome is a bad way to think.

• Like 5

My comment wasn’t in jest 67.  Not sure if your comment was directed at me but there was  nothing juvenile about my post.

$4k may be excessive, but that was my point.  I have an LEO friend (retired) that doesn’t seem bothered by any of the bills being proposed because they pretty much have no effect on him. Unfortunately, if LEO organizations stood up in significant ways for the 2A rights of non-LEO citizens, the politicians might actually listen.  Hitting retired LEO’s with massive ccw fees might help get their attention. That might help in the fight these punitive fees and the other bills passed and still being proposed.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Kevin125 said:

My comment wasn’t in jest 67.  Not sure if your comment was directed at me but there was  nothing juvenile about my post.

$4k may be excessive, but that was my point.  I have an LEO friend (retired) that doesn’t seem bothered by any of the bills being proposed because they pretty much have no effect on him. Unfortunately, if LEO organizations stood up in significant ways for the 2A rights of non-LEO citizens, the politicians might actually listen.  Hitting retired LEO’s with massive ccw fees might help get their attention. That might help in the fight these punative fees and the other bills passed and still being proposed.

Not directed at you..... childish post was hidden.... 

Not directed at you..... childish post was hidden.... 

You mean Censored. I thought you comment was directed to Kevin as well. Probably should have removed it too.

• Like 1