Sorry if it's been asked. I get the law was signed and is being fought. We have 180 days to comply.

In the mean time can I go to the range with a 15 round, am I legal till the 180 days expire or am I already a criminal with it in the car going to the range? Was going to try and go this weekend with a newbie but don't want hassles by making a stupid mistake.

According to Evan Nappen on a recent Gun For Hire podcast no. They are immediately illegal with the exceptions to take them to your local PD, sell them, or bring them to have them modified. Things can change if the ANJRPC gets an injunction against the law.

According to Evan Nappen on a recent Gun For Hire podcast no. They are immediately illegal with the exceptions to take them to your local PD, sell them, or bring them to have them modified. Things can change if the ANJRPC gets an injunction against the law.

What does Nappen base this on. Illegal to buy new ones I can agree with. Illegal to use your current ones I see nothing in the law that says that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, capt14k said:

What does Nappen base this on. Illegal to buy new ones I can agree with. Illegal to use your current ones I see nothing in the law that says that.

The reasoning as I understand it is that the existing law explicitly prohibited transportation of large capacity magazines.  The new changes only offer a grace period for possession.   Now, to me I’d think possession implies the ability to transport but who knows how the state will interpret it. 

The reasoning as I understand it is that the existing law explicitly prohibited transportation of large capacity magazines.  The new changes only offer a grace period for possession.   Now, to me I’d think possession implies the ability to transport but who knows how the state will interpret it. 

Thank you for the info. I still disagree with him, but I also disagree loaded magazines separate from the firearm are illegal.

1 minute ago, capt14k said:

Thank you for the info. I still disagree with him, but I also disagree loaded magazines separate from the firearm are illegal.

I agree with you.  Though thst agreement probably doesn’t extend so far that I would want to be a test case. 

29 minutes ago, Bklynracer said:

Thank you for responses, guessing for now the Beretta and HK stay at home.

will take the .45

Don't forget the ammo.  Brought my 45's, a sig p239 and a sw 686 to the range today.  Left the .45 ammo on my bench at home.  DOH.

12 minutes ago, PeteF said:

Don't forget the ammo.  Brought my 45's, a sig p239 and a sw 686 to the range today.  Left the .45 ammo on my bench at home.  DOH.

Thanks, did kind of the same once, I keep ammo in separate containers. grabbed the .45 and 9mm ammo. Had to buy ammo at range. Luckily never happened again. Lesson learned.

34 minutes ago, Mossy500 said:

Is anybody allowed to sell their 15-round magazine to somebody out of state?

And, does USPS ship these out of NJ?

I would think so....  Unless something has changed with these new round of bills/laws.  But I wouldn't do it just yet... I'd wait for the legal challenges to work themselves out.  And, if they are ever declared illegal, permanently, you should be able to store them out of state (i.e. Gunsitters in Easton, PA).

• Like 1

On 6/22/2018 at 10:17 PM, capt14k said:

I agree with you too!  If a "Grace Period" is a GRACE PERIOD, then a "plain text reading" of the law would be interpreted as being able to use them anywhere within NJ, not just in yer residence or bidness, neither of which is stipulated.  Nappen's interpretation is like the same as the disbarred Judge's that wouldn't charge the Jury properly in Brian Aitken's case with MOVING HOLLOW POINTS!  Technically he's 100% correct, but you need to find a DA, Prosecutor, Judge & Jury to go along with making them into a 180-day suppository :)  

• Like 1

All Nappen did was point out existing law, one that states hicaps, which now includes 11+ mags are illegal and part of that illegality is transporting them. He probly shouldnt have said an outright No about transporting them but he isnt giving NJ the benifit of the doubt and I dont trust NJ either, cant think of one reason why I should. While I agree a grace period and allowable possession should be a total gtg I, once again am not giving any leo/da/prosecuter/judge/jury the chance to make a judgement call on my time & dime. Fortunatly I'm a fukn genious and saw this coming yrs ago and already have a range mag or two for every gun that needed one.

All Nappen did was point out existing law, one that states hicaps, which now includes 11+ mags are illegal and part of that illegality is transporting them. He probly shouldnt have said an outright No about transporting them but he isnt giving NJ the benifit of the doubt and I dont trust NJ either, cant think of one reason why I should. While I agree a grace period and allowable possession should be a total gtg I, once again am not giving any leo/da/prosecuter/judge/jury the chance to make a judgement call on my time & dime. Fortunatly I'm a fukn genious and saw this coming yrs ago and already have a range mag or two for every gun that needed one.

Genius or servant?

2 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

I would think so....  Unless something has changed with these new round of bills/laws.  But I wouldn't do it just yet... I'd wait for the legal challenges to work themselves out.  And, if they are ever declared illegal, permanently, you should be able to store them out of state (i.e. Gunsitters in Easton, PA).

While 10+ round magazines are now Dangerous Contraband in New Jersey, they are just machine parts in Pennsylvania (and most of the US) that any kid can buy at WalMart.

As nice as the folks at Gunsitters are, their vault may be overkill for magazines -- a relative or friend's closet, or a safe deposit box should be okay, just so long as it's not in New Jersey and is legal in that place.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

While 10+ round magazines are now Dangerous Contraband in New Jersey, they are just machine parts in Pennsylvania (and most of the US) that any kid can buy at WalMart.

As nice as the folks at Gunsitters are, their vault may be overkill for magazines -- a relative or friend's closet, or a safe deposit box should be okay, just so long as it's not in New Jersey and is legal in that place.

If such a place can be found, then God Bless...  I was only thinking of places if these options were not available.  I also maintain my offer to store them here in Florida for any NJGF member if they should wish to come to FL at some point to shoot.

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

Genius or servant?

As much a servant as you for following current laws. I routinely take 10 rd mags anyway. I also take 8, 6, whatever. not that important to me to raise my fist in defiance going to the range. If you feel your really sticking it to the The Man doing so have at it.. I'll keep what really matters to me closer to home.

2 hours ago, Bob2222 said:

As nice as the folks at Gunsitters are, their vault may be overkill for magazines -

That's what I was thinking. The smallest unit is $40/month or $480 a year to store just magazines. At that rate, is it worth it to store them indefinitely?

• Like 1

15 round magazines are garbage everywhere except NJ, and soon to be garbage here too. 

If you're going to spend hundreds a year paying for vaults, or time effort and gasoline bringing them to someone's house in a other state, at that point why not just store regular size magazines there?

Prices are at all time lows, almost anything is only $10-15. If I had a friend in Florida, I'd say here's a hundred bucks, get me one of those PSA mag deals and stick em in your closet for me.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Mossy500 said:

Another follow up:

Is this something that will work with a Glock 19 gen5? -> https://www.magpul.com/products/pmag-10-gl9-glock19

and, what does it mean when they say "Drops free when loaded or empty"?

My understanding is a gen 4 (and gen5) glock simply has interchangeable mag release controls for righties or lefties.  A right handed gen4, gen5, and all gen1, 2, and 3 pistols should be compatible with all the mags out there in the same gun (i.e. all g19s).  However, a Gen4 or Gen5 set up for a leftie will only be compatible with Gen4 or gen5 mags.  I'm not sure that pmag glock mags have the second cutout required for lefthanded use - but I'd imagine so.

Drop free means that when you depress the mag release button, the magazine will drop freely, instead of you needing to tug on it to remove it.  Some mags sorta 'stick' in the magwell when empty due to lower mass.  That Pmag will always drop freely, empty or full.

8 hours ago, Malice4you said:

My understanding is a gen 4 (and gen5) glock simply has interchangeable mag release controls for righties or lefties.  A right handed gen4, gen5, and all gen1, 2, and 3 pistols should be compatible with all the mags out there in the same gun (i.e. all g19s).  However, a Gen4 or Gen5 set up for a leftie will only be compatible with Gen4 or gen5 mags.  I'm not sure that pmag glock mags have the second cutout required for lefthanded use - but I'd imagine so.

Drop free means that when you depress the mag release button, the magazine will drop freely, instead of you needing to tug on it to remove it.  Some mags sorta 'stick' in the magwell when empty due to lower mass.  That Pmag will always drop freely, empty or full.

Thank you, very helpful!

I just called the NJ State Police regarding disposal of 15-round magazines and if I could ship this to my cousin in VA since it's legal there - the lady on the line (who sounded like she wasn't in-charge) said it needs to be done dealer-to-dealer. Really?

I would think no dealer would want anything to do with these magazines (here in NJ) since they're now contraband (or at least until the 180 days expire). 

Kinda bummed right now, really

On 6/22/2018 at 7:58 PM, NJGF said:

Is there any link/site where we can track how these injunctions are progressing? Or mainly just here or the news?

Thanks

I just called the NJ State Police regarding disposal of 15-round magazines and if I could ship this to my cousin in VA since it's legal there - the lady on the line (who sounded like she wasn't in-charge) said it needs to be done dealer-to-dealer. Really?
I would think no dealer would want anything to do with these magazines (here in NJ) since they're now contraband (or at least until the 180 days expire). 
Is there any link/site where we can track how these injunctions are progressing? Or mainly just here or the news?
Thanks
She misinterpreted what you asked. She thought you were sending the gun. And why did you ask anyway.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PK90 said:

She misinterpreted what you asked. She thought you were sending the gun. And why did you ask anyway.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

I mentioned the 15-round magazines - twice.

Why I asked - I just wanna get back to driving to range without being a test case for the 15-rd magazines in court.

36 minutes ago, Mossy500 said:

Thanks

I hope you are at least an ANJRPC member ($40), they will keep you updated in e-mails. And if you can, donate to their litigation fund. This is it for us, no one else is going to help or stop this if the suit doesn't. I've made some of my biggest donations ever to ANJRPC this year, it is now or never, and rest assured The-Lefty isn't going to stop at 10R.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Combat Auto said:

I hope you are at least an ANJRPC member ($40), they will keep you updated in e-mails. And if you can, donate to their litigation fund. This is it for us, no one else is going to help or stop this if the suit doesn't. I've made some of my biggest donations ever to ANJRPC this year, it is now or never, and rest assured The-Lefty isn't going to stop at 10R.  

Ok thank you, I will sign up and contribute. I also saw the suit in their website (18-cv-10507 I believe).

• Like 1

I have spoken with a number of ranges.  They will not inspect a "high capacity magazine".  They still sell "large" 30 round mags in NJ for the M&P 15-22 that are modified at the factory for 10 rounds... I guess because they look cool?

Although I will NOT be inspected/harassed by a range officer between now and December... the thought of a rookie cop collaring me, slapping me with a Class IV felony, losing my right to purchase in all 50 states, 10K fine and up to 18 months in prison... no thanks... I will be conservative and go with what Nappen says.

12 minutes ago, NJ Glock said:

They still sell "large" 30 round mags in NJ for the M&P 15-22 that are modified at the factory for 10 rounds... I guess because they look cool?

Although I will NOT be inspected/harassed by a range officer between now and December.

That's another good point. How many guys were using 15/30 or 15/20 mags for many years. They look like traditional "high capacity" mags. Has anyone been checked by a RO or LEO to verify that their mag only held 15? I've never heard it happening.

So, will ROs or LEOs be out in force now at all ranges, checking to see if everyone has 10/30 or 10/20 mags instead of "high capacity" 15s?

I doubt it.

• Like 1