I don't expect ROs or LEOs at ranges to inspect, but I'm not willing to risk losing my 2A rights, career and my freedom (up to 18 mo. sentence) because someone was a bit too interested in my range bag.

I wonder if anyone has ever challenged the constitutionality of losing your Constitutional 2A rights due to a state law unique to NJ? It would seem to me that to lose a constitutional right (2A, voting, etc) one should have violated a federal law or committed a pretty egregious crime.

So, will ROs or LEOs be out in force now at all ranges, checking to see if everyone has 10/30 or 10/20 mags instead of "high capacity" 15s?
I doubt it.

Legality aside... if range officers do try that crap, I do hope that members post about it on here.

Don’t get me wrong, their range, their rules. But trying to jam up people on the same side... I’d never put a penny into the pocket of such an organization.
  • Like 2

On 7/1/2018 at 10:03 PM, NJ Glock said:

I have spoken with a number of ranges.  They will not inspect a "high capacity magazine".  They still sell "large" 30 round mags in NJ for the M&P 15-22 that are modified at the factory for 10 rounds... I guess because they look cool?

Although I will NOT be inspected/harassed by a range officer between now and December... the thought of a rookie cop collaring me, slapping me with a Class IV felony, losing my right to purchase in all 50 states, 10K fine and up to 18 months in prison... no thanks... I will be conservative and go with what Nappen says.

I agree that it is not worth the risk of taking my 15 round mags to the range until the legal challenge/injunction is sorted out.  This was also again mentioned in the most recent G4Hire podcast. I already had some Glock 10 round mags on hand so will use them in the interim.   With that in mind, yesterday I segregated and set aside all my mags >10 rounds. If the new law holds, I will store my mags out of state. Out of principle,   I have no intention of selling, modifying, destroying, etc my property. 

With the above said, there is one aspect to this range transport discussion that has not been surfaced.  It also occurred to me that my primary home defense handguns have 15 round mags in them.  Wondering if it would also be prudent to swap them out for 10 rounders. In the context of a self defense shooting, I could see a NJ prosecutor using that against you with a jury. E.g “He used a now illegal deadly battlefield military style high capacity clip...”.  

Thoughts on their continued legality for self defense in the home?  (IANAL)

43 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

I agree that it is not worth the risk of taking my 15 round mags to the range until the legal challenge/injunction is sorted out.  This was also again mentioned in the most recent G4Hire podcast. I already had some Glock 10 round mags on hand so will use them in the interim.   With that in mind, yesterday I segregated and set aside all my mags >10 rounds. If the new law holds, I will store my mags out of state. Out of principle,   I have no intention of selling, modifying, destroying, etc my property. 

With the above said, there is one aspect to this range transport discussion that has not been surfaced.  It also occurred to me that my primary home defense handguns have 15 round mags in them.  Wondering if it would also be prudent to swap them out for 10 rounders. In the context of a self defense shooting, I could see a NJ prosecutor using that against you with a jury. E.g “He used a now illegal deadly battlefield military style high capacity clip...”.  

We are allowed to possess them during the "probationary" period. I won't travel with them but am absolutely keeping them home for whatever reason I want. Beyond Dec or any injunction that may happen, to each their own.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, siderman said:

We are allowed to possess them during the "probationary" period. I won't travel with them but am absolutely keeping them home for whatever reason I want. Beyond Dec or any injunction that may happen, to each their own.

best to be on the safe side. i already pulled all 15rd mags and am buying 10rd mags. already spent $300 on mags and i need several more. figure 10rd mags requires at least 2 mag per gun at range. my police dept has no info yet on procedure for voluntary surrender of 15rd mags. 

23 hours ago, oldguysrule649 said:

I changed my home defense mag to 10 rounds until this gets sorted out.

2 hours ago, GlennS87 said:

I changed my home defense mag to 10 rounds until this gets sorted out.

Bad choice because:

On 7/12/2018 at 9:40 AM, siderman said:

We are allowed to possess them during the "probationary" period. I won't travel with them but am absolutely keeping them home for whatever reason I want.

You NEVER want to restrict what you might need for personal defense. It's still legal to possess 15 rounders at home.

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

Bad choice because:

You NEVER want to restrict what you might need for personal defense. It's still legal to possess 15 rounders at home.

question is it gonna jam ya up if you had to use it in the home?

15 minutes ago, GlennS87 said:

Does possess equate to use even in the home?

I believe it does, because you're not transporting them (and I still have a issue with the "transport" claim.) as we're in the grace period.

8 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

question is it gonna jam ya up if you had to use it in the home?

You're going to get jammed at home if you use a 4 round mag (or a revolver), it won't be the mag that's the issue.

• Like 2