JMich3

Anyone shoot Wolf ammo?

I shoot Steel case FMJ rounds in my H&K VP9 9mm, Ruger AR556, My AR47 i built 7.62x39 The only one i don't run steel case is my Ruger R1 1911 .45ACP.

I've seen where alot of ppl swear Steel is crap, wears your gun parts out faster etc as i cant say yes or no. i can say is in all my guns they cycle fine go Bang and havent had one problem with steel case wolf ammo. I buy them cuz they are cheaper then brass often times.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lilred121986 said:

I shoot Steel case FMJ rounds in my H&K VP9 9mm, Ruger AR556, My AR47 i built 7.62x39 The only one i don't run steel case is my Ruger R1 1911 .45ACP.

I've seen where alot of ppl swear Steel is crap, wears your gun parts out faster etc as i cant say yes or no. i can say is in all my guns they cycle fine go Bang and havent had one problem with steel case wolf ammo. I buy them cuz they are cheaper then brass often times.

A guy i work with just gave me 200 rounds to see how my VP9 likes it. I’ll have to make a trip to the range now, Damn, lol

I shoot wolf steel case in my Makarov (9×18) and SKS (7.62x39). No problems, it works fine. I would definitely not shoot steel case .223/5.56 out of an AR type rifle. I have personally seen two instances of cases stuck in chambers that had to be banged out with cleaning rods. Not worth the savings for me!

• Like 1

Everything you need to know about brass vs. steel cased ammo in AR's:

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/brass-vs-steel-cased-ammo/

Executive summary:  Steel ammo malfunctions more often in AR's and causes faster barrel erosion and extractor wear, but over thousands of rounds the savings realized in shooting steel instead of brass more than pays for the cost of more frequent barrel replacements.

If you shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds and don't mind occasional malfunctions and increased rate of barrel replacement, you'll save money shooting steel cased ammo.

If reliable functioning is important (like in a duty or HD AR), stick with brass.

21 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Executive summary:  Steel ammo malfunctions more often in AR's and causes faster barrel erosion and extractor wear, but over thousands of rounds the savings realized in shooting steel instead of brass more than pays for the cost of more frequent barrel replacements.

If you shoot thousands upon thousands of rounds and don't mind occasional malfunctions and increased rate of barrel replacement, you'll save money shooting steel cased ammo.

If reliable functioning is important (like in a duty or HD AR), stick with brass.

No AR for me, just range ammo in my 9mm

1 hour ago, JMich3 said:

A guy i work with just gave me 200 rounds to see how my VP9 likes it. I’ll have to make a trip to the range now, Damn, lol

My VP9 has eaten lil over 450 rounds so far and is waiting to eat more lol :-)

26 minutes ago, DirtyDigz said:

Yeah if you Carry i would go with brass to be sure even thow steel for me works well and never had problem. if my life is on the line i dont wanna take the risk lol. Oh wait im in nj i cant carry unless im a crocked politican. :-/

• Like 1

You spent a good sum of money for a quality handgun, and now want to shoot cheap crap ammo in it. Good luck with that.  Tell me, if you owned a Vette, 'Tang, or similar car, would you stop and fill it at those "Sonny" gas stations?  I think not.  Quality 9MM ammo is available if you shop.  I just saw Remington 9MM brass 115 FMJ range buckets on sale for $60 for 350 rounds, before using a buying discount that brought it down to $51, delivered. Keep looking, deals are out there.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, T Bill said:

You spent a good some of money for a quality handgun, and now want to shoot cheap crap ammo in it. Good luck with that. 

I agree. Someone doesn't get involved in shooting sports because they're looking for a low cost hobby.

7 hours ago, T Bill said:

You spent a good sum of money for a quality handgun, and now want to shoot cheap crap ammo in it. Good luck with that.  Tell me, if you owned a Vette, 'Tang, or similar car, would you stop and fill it at those "Sonny" gas stations?  I think not.  Quality 9MM ammo is available if you shop.  I just saw Remington 9MM brass 115 FMJ range buckets on sale for $60 for 350 rounds, before using a buying discount that brought it down to $51, delivered. Keep looking, deals are out there.

Sorry i offended you with my question. I’m a newbie , asking questions is how i will learn. Thanks for your awesome attitude. 

• Like 1

I have shot plenty of Wolf in my AK. Never a problem. The primers are a bit hard though. In short, steel cased ammo is much harder than brass so it will cause quicker barrel and extractor wear over time. In the end, it's your decision!

Just now, JMich3 said:

Thank You for your input. I don’t own an AR. I’m only asking about 9mm range ammo. Sorry if i didn’t make that clear in my original post

Same still holds true for 9mm. Steel causes more wear.

• Like 1

Again , thank You for your input. I may only have for a short time but i love my VP9 , lol. I won’t feed her the steel Case after reading up. Good feed back is exactly why i post questions. Thanks!

2 minutes ago, JMich3 said:

Thank You for your input. I don’t own an AR. I’m only asking about 9mm range ammo. Sorry if i didn’t make that clear in my original post

9mm brass cased ammo is so cheap now, I’d go with that. Have fun!

• Like 1

You did not offend me, and if I was a little too strong, I apologize.  Just when I see shooters feeding cheap Russian or Chinese ammo into a quality firearm they just shelled out big bucks for, not to mention NJ's stupid requirements, pushes my button.  If you had a Russian or Chinese rifle I would not mention a word. They enjoy that stuff. But, fine precision handguns need to be taken care of.  They are hard to come by in NJ.

• Like 3

If you want to save a little, there is aluminum cased 9mm ammo that you can try...but if you shop around, you will likely find brass ammo for the same kind of pricing.  *MY* P226 has run aluminum cased ammo fine in the past.  Order in quantities - at least 250rd boxes to 1k cases (check price per round) - from places with free shipping, and that's gonna be your best prices.

FWIW, I will only ever run steel case in my AK or Mosin.  I've never felt the minor cost savings were worth the extra wear.

• Like 1

The issue with certain steel case ammo is the type of bullet that is being used. Most mfg's will tell you what material the bullet is composed of. If you're unsure of the ammo you have, it's best to pull the bullet and test with a magnet.

THE MOST COMMON TYPE OF AMMO USED IN AN AR15:

*Copper jacket/steel jacket/copper jacket/lead bullet.

Usually steel cased. FMJ. Bullet is bi-metal, copper and steel over a lead bullet. Due to the steel jacket contacting the rifling, it will wear your barrel faster. Most ranges will not allow this ammo to be used at their indoor ranges due to it creating a spark when hitting the back stop.

*Copper jacket/lead bullet.

Designated as M193. Brass cased. FMJ. (There is one mfg that I know of that will use this type of bullet with a steel casing and that is Hornady.)

*Copper jacket/lead bullet w/tungsten steel penetrator tip

Designated as M855. Brass cased. FMJ that is painted with a green tip.

Steel ammo.png

Regards,

TokenEntry

• Like 1

Here are the common Mfgs that offer bi-metal jacket rifle ammo. There has been a few special lots that come in that are not bi-metal. Always best to ask before buying.

*Barnaul (White Box w/lacquer coating)

*Brown Bear (Polymer and lacquer coated)

*Golden Tiger

*Monarch - I believe this to be exclusive to Academy Sports Outdoors

*Red Army Standard

*Silver Bear

*Tula Ammo

*Wolf (White Box w/lacquer coating)

*Wolf Military Classic

*Wolf Performance

*Wolf Polyformance

Regards,

TokenEntry

• Like 1

I ran the 200 rounds that i was given with no problems what so ever. I have to say though, that stuff runs DIRTY! Cleaned my gun last night, thought i was going to have to break out the pressure washer, lol.