runcibleman

.22 Itch - What might cure it?

I think I've got an itch for a handgun in .22LR. So far I've tried some 10 shot Ruger revolver (pretty okay, a bit underwhelming though for a wheelgun), a Walther P22 Competition Target model (horrible fire controls, very tiny gun), a Beretta 87 Target (nice feel, but terrible trigger), and a S&W 617 (One of the older 6 shot ones) which was a pleasure as older Smiths have been in my experience even if it weighs enough with that 6" barrel and full lug to serve as a boat anchor.

I think I like wheelguns and figure I might get a decent condition pre-lock era S&W Model 17 to approximately complement my S&W 19. That said, I don't want to rush headlong into something without trying a lot of options, so: What other .22LR pistols or revolver do folks really recommend trying before buying?

I like the H&R 999 series. I forget how the numbers match up but there is 991, 999 and others in between. They are all 9 shot revolvers. Mine has 5 or 6" barrel and is single action. They also made double action.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I have a 10 shot S&W 617 also. Always tempted to sell it, but my daughter loves it so I keep it around. Bought speed loaders for it which came in a case that also store them. Nice setup but wasn't cheap. Shooting .22LR out of it is like a cap gun. And put .22 shorts in there, you have to be careful and make sure the bullet actually came out of the barrel! You really can't feel it do anything. :)

14 hours ago, Bully said:

I have a 10 shot S&W 617 and love it.  It's a hoot with subs and is darn accurate as well.  

Good luck.  Picking one can be overwhelming. 

About 3 years ago I got to shoot a 617 and it was really great.  Normally I'm terrible with handguns, but that 617 was just so easy to shoot.  The trigger was fantastic.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, siderman said:

I too have a 10 shot 617, it's a 4". Wasn't a cheap gun and gets boring after a while (as do most 22's)  but It makes me look real good when I shoot so I"ll keep it.  

Okay, any reason not to get an older  6" Model 17 over a later 6" 617 then? Yes, the full lug 617 weighs a lot more, but it's not like a 6" 17 will be moving any more. Sure, the classic 17's can only hold 6 vs. 10, but it's a .22, so not exactly a piece to use in self-defense where the number of rounds it holds matters much. I just don't like, strange I'm sure, stainless guns.

5 minutes ago, runcibleman said:

I just don't like, strange I'm sure, stainless guns.

I, too, am not a fan of the look of stainless revolvers.  But, the 617 is an exceptional pistol and there is no denying the utility of stainless steel.   If you can, try to find a range that rents the 617 and shoot it.  At the end of the day, it really does not matter what a gun looks like as long as it gets the job done. 

3 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

I, too, am not a fan of the look of stainless revolvers.  But, the 617 is an exceptional pistol and there is no denying the utility of stainless steel.   If you can, try to find a range that rents the 617 and shoot it.  At the end of the day, it really does not matter what a gun looks like as long as it gets the job done. 

Oh I have shot the 617 at GFH, and older one at since it only holds 6 round of .22LR. It's a far better revolver than I can shoot it, but... looks over function, right? Stainless just isn't my thing!

Huh, a C&R eligible top-break .22LR revolver! Nice, I take it auto-ejects reliably?

Yes auto ejects perfectly. Very nice blued finish. A fraction of the cost of others. Also quite accurate.

4 minutes ago, runcibleman said:

Okay, any reason not to get an older  6" Model 17 over a later 6" 617 then? Yes, the full lug 617 weighs a lot more, but it's not like a 6" 17 will be moving any more. Sure, the classic 17's can only hold 6 vs. 10, but it's a .22, so not exactly a piece to use in self-defense where the number of rounds it holds matters much. I just don't like, strange I'm sure, stainless guns.

To be honest I got the 10 shot because after shooting a 6 shooter and being only a 22 I was like " that's it?" Lol. I don't care too much about the finish but then again having some nice old blued guns I can afford to not care, pretend the stainless is nickel....j/k, get one you can afford and be happy with, it's just a fun plinker anyway, 4" or 6", lug or not, no recoil in either.

1 minute ago, runcibleman said:

looks over function, right? Stainless just isn't my thing!

If that's the case, gfl216 has a very handsome Chiappa for sale at a ridiculously low price.  It is very similar to the Ruger Single 10.  It's a good opportunity to dip your toe in the 22lr handgun game without spending a small fortune.

I have a Ruger 22/45 and I recommend that or a MK IV over a revolver. They are quirky, fun, and as reliable or more than any other semi-auto .22 I’ve seen.

I had a Ruger SP101 in .22 and I got very tired of it. Not having property to walk around and shoot cans on kind of crushed the fantasy that I had with .22 revolvers. At the range, I found myself loading a lot and the .22 in a small heavy package just got boring. Nowhere near as fun as a centerfire revolver. My opinion only...

I have a 10 shot S&W 617 also. Always tempted to sell it, but my daughter loves it so I keep it around. Bought speed loaders for it which came in a case that also store them. Nice setup but wasn't cheap. Shooting .22LR out of it is like a cap gun. And put .22 shorts in there, you have to be careful and make sure the bullet actually came out of the barrel! You really can't feel it do anything. [emoji4]
I was wondering about this. U have CCI Quiets, but never shot them from my 94 revolver. I am curious as to how quiet they are considering the shorter barrel as compared to a rifle.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I unearthed a true cannon:
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/775591874
And with this, you can pull the trigger in one state, and watch the round exit in another!
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/771710260
H&R's are fun looking pieces of Americana!
Don't waste a permit on a Chippua possibly the worst revolver ever made. I wouldn't take one for free because of the wasted permit.

The 6xx series is an even older H&R IIRC. 6 shot 12" barrel. Also a lot more expensive. The 9xx are the 9 shot 6" barrels. Both are much cooler than a scaled down Ruger. You buy a Ruger Security or Service Six when you want a .357 that will last forever.

S&W M34 (handy,) S&W M41 (refined & accurate,) Ruger Super Single-Six (simple, rugged, accurate,) S&W M17 (classic.) 

I saw a minty S&W M17 w/ 8 3/8" bbl. in NY a couple weeks ago. Price tag was only $1,000. :o

2 hours ago, Shortfuse said:

I got a GSG 1911-22 a few months ago it's accurate functions flawlessly with several brands of ammo looks and feels like a 1911 got it for less then $300 out the door check them out on youtube don't 

think you'll be disappointed 

I have one of these also. Bought four mags for it, they aren't cheap. Did some mods on it also. Nice little gun and has the same controls as a "normal" 1911.