Malice4you

When you were younger, what guns did you like?

A post in another thread got me thinking about a S&W model 41, and why I want one.

I realized I have liked and wanted that gun for 20+ years, since I was in my teens. I also liked the S&W 22A, Beretta 92F / M9, and a few of their other handguns.

I have liked G3-based rifles for 15+ years, same goes for Accuracy International AW or AE rifles, and MP5s of all varieties. And I gotta throw in AUGs too...

Between some of my airsoft guns and a few real guns, I have a decent number of examples of the guns I have always wanted, though once I move out of NJ, I plan to own a lot more real examples (the airsoft ones help hold off the need to buy real ones JUST enough to hold me over).

So, what did you like and want when you were younger? Did you ever get to own any of your dream guns?

• Thanks 1

I always liked the 1911, ever since I was barely old enough to hold one.  Just something about that gun.  I've had the luck to be able to own "several" examples.  For revolvers there is a beauty to the pinned and recessed Smith & Wesson revolvers of all calibers.  Nothing beats the deep bluing except maybe an N-frame in Nickel.

• Like 1

Back in 1977 I purchased new, my first shotgun. A Remington 870 Wingmaster. My first handgun, a S&W Model 19 Combat Masterpiece and a High Standard Victor .22 target pistol. I still have them all and I love them even more today than the day I got them 42 years ago! Especially the Smith 19. The quality and feel of that revolver still impresses the crap out of me!:)

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Especially the Smith 19. The quality and feel of that revolver still impresses the crap out of me!:)

Indeed! And though I am an early millennial, I was so impressed by the Model 19 that I promptly bought two 6"-ers with the 3T's, a gently used 19-3 and an unfired 19-4. It's a far better gun than I am a shooter.

That said, in my youth I liked West German made SIGs, esp. the P220 and P226, and strangely enough the S&W 945, ugly beast that it is.

• Like 1

Hmmm...  Maybe the ones that got away were a 222 Remy bolt gun and a Garand.  I really wanted a 222 in the 80's but had to choose between spending my limited supply of cash on girls or guns.  Stupid me, I spent it all on girls.

Like most folks here, I have a bucket list for firearms.  Too long to list.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malice4you said:

A post in another thread got me thinking about a S&W model 41, and why I want one.

So, what did you like and want when you were younger? Did you ever get to own any of your dream guns?

Well, my interest in firearms really didn't pique until later in life.  I did shoot .22 pistols and single shot bolt action rifles both growing up and in college. But I guess I went "on hiatus" on firearms interest after that, until 2013 and did not own my first firearm until 2014.  I did learn of some firearms from watching LE shows like "Miami Vice" in the 80s,  For example, that is where I learned about the MAC-10 (they did a whole ep about those).  That will probably be my first NFA purchase when I get to that point (I have some other priorities at present), This, primarily because it's a bit cheaper than what I really want in NFA items (a classic "Chicago Typewriter"  Thompson with drum mags - which I understand is going for about $60K, now... as is a classic M-16, but i'm not sure I'd do one of those, I'd rather have the Thompson... :dancer: ).

Beyond that, I'm looking at a long range sniper weapon (i.e. a TacOps Bravo-51). For a "large caliber" piece, maybe a Barret M82A1.  And then, perhaps, a decent 1911.. maybe a Dan Wesson.... I don't know if I want to move up to a Wilson Combat... Those are just plain pricey...  After that, it's only maintaining a good stock for EDC, etc. or a "home defense" shottie.. maybe a 2nd JM-Pro for that (but with a shorter barrel). 

Of course,  all of this is pending financing, so it might have to wait a bit...  :dontknow:

The gun I drooled over in grandpa's collection was his S&W model 19-2 and I inherited it when I was old enough. 

I wanted a 1911A1 ever since I first shot one (first handgun I ever shot) so I bought one as soon as I got my FID. 

I still want a blued python but I'm not going to have the funds for one anytime soon

I always wanted a Tommy gun! It would be great to get a real full auto or even a semi auto SBR one. I also really like the FN-FAL. Both will have to wait until I move out of NJ, or if we win some serious 2nd amendment court cases.

Back when I was in my early twenties (in the very early 60's) I really dug some of the German WWII weapons.   Did finally get a Luger,a  P-38 and a Schemiser MP40.    Regrettably all long gone.

Would still like to get a M1918 Browning B.A.R.   This was my baby in the service.  It was just sooo John Wayne.

Being 83 I'm not sure I could lift it now.... but thats what the sling was for, right!

Agree with the praise for the Model 19.  My 19-3 is my oldest and most reliable revolver.

Gotta keep dreaming....

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, 9thMarines said:

Back when I was in my early twenties (in the very early 60's) I really dug some of the German WWII weapons.   Did finally get a Luger,a  P-38 and a Schemiser MP40.    Regrettably all long gone.

Would still like to get a M1918 Browning B.A.R.   This was my baby in the service.  It was just sooo John Wayne.

Being 83 I'm not sure I could lift it now.... but thats what the sling was for, right!

Agree with the praise for the Model 19.  My 19-3 is my oldest and most reliable revolver.

Gotta keep dreaming....

I totally agree on the 19, I love mine! The Luger is my absolute dream gun! I never shot one but I just know in my heart that if I spent $2,500.00 on a handgun my wife would shoot me with it!:(

• Like 1

Always loved the guns my dad and grandpop carried. A Stevens 311 in 12ga and a Sears 16ga pump. They are both gone but I still have those guns. 

When I got my fid(1992) I bought a Marlin 30-30 , a Remington heavy barreled 308, a couple Taurus handguns.   A couple bows.  Easy to do when living at home with parents.  Haha.  Working full time, school part time, chasing girls, paying bar tabs.  Shooting and hunting took a back seat. All those guns are gone. No practical use for here in NJ (hunting) so I sold them. 

Aside from the guns from my dad and grandpop I have a Ruger 10/22 that's probably 30+ years old. And a Sears single shot 22 bolt that my kids love.  Those guns will out live me. 

16 hours ago, pasu0115 said:

I always wanted a Tommy gun! It would be great to get a real full auto or even a semi auto SBR one. I also really like the FN-FAL. Both will have to wait until I move out of NJ, or if we win some serious 2nd amendment court cases.

According to the state police, the DSA-SA58 and the Century R1A1(both FAL clones) are NJ legal as long as they have only one feature.

To stay on topic, movies like "The Wild Geese" inspired my facination for the FAL.

I never had any guns until 1968 in the Army. I don't like or dislike them. They are a tool like any other. I have them to protect myself, my family, and my freedom. If I have to use them to kill again I will, regardless of the aggressor.

• Like 1

First got interested in Firearms when I was 21(am 65 now).   back in 1974, I purchased a High Standard Sharpshooter 22LR pistol  with an approx 5" inch bullpup barrel.   Still have it and shoot it occasionally.  Great shooter.   My big regret over these many years is not having purchased a 7.25" fluted barrel for it.  At the time I had obtained a $38 quote from HS for it but did not ever purchase it.   However, the story has a happy ending.  Last year I purchased a stainless steel Ruger Mark IV Hunter with it's 7" fluted barrel.

(Interestingly, the HS also had a one button takedown.  Albeat much harder to depress than my modern Ruger.)

27 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Well I liked the Wildey, .44 Automag, and Bren Ten due to movies and TV. One day I will own at least 2 of 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I also love the Wildey and the Automag. Way back, a small local gun shop had 2 Wildeys for sale. The serial #s were TEST1 and TEST2. I was told they were made for the US Army to test. They were $1,200 each in mint condition but I had to pass due to the high price.:(

I also love the Wildey and the Automag. Way back, a small local gun shop had 2 Wildeys for sale. The serial #s were TEST1 and TEST2. I was told they were made for the US Army to test. They were $1,200 each in mint condition but I had to pass due to the high price.[emoji20]

The Wildey and Automag are both in production. Nothing is close to a Bren Ten except maybe the old S&W 10mm

Owning Test model would be awesome.

Problem is, that was in the early 80s and I was only making about $250 per week so $1,200 was a fortune to me!

I feel your pain. If I was collecting Milsurps and had the money in the early 90s my collection would be 10x the size for half the price.

• Like 1

Just now, capt14k said:

I feel your pain. If I was collecting Milsurps and had the money in the early 90s my collection would be 10x the size for half the price.

I hear you! My first SKS was brand new and cost me $89!

Learned how to shoot rifles with my dad at a young age. First used a daisy 880 pump B.B. guns.

Then moved up to a marlin 60 and pardner break open 20 gauge shotgun.

my father was a LEO and department firearms instructor. Started shooting his duty weapons when I was 14, first was a P95 in 9mm then a few years later it was a Glock 22.

also shot his colt trooper mark iv in 357 mag he carried when he work worked for an armored car company back in the day. (He transferred me this revolver a few years ago)

My father recently passed away, and wish we could hit the range together again.