Malice4you

When you were younger, what guns did you like?

When I purchased my first gun, a handgun, there was no internet. You went to a gun store and saw what they had in stock or you looked through a magazine and maybe wrote a letter asking for a catalogue. I got my hands on a Wilson Combat catalogue and drooled over their 1911's. All I could afford then was a Colt, but I did manage to outfit it with a few Wilson parts. I still have that catalogue. 

Fast forward 30 years (and as many guns), and I finally did get my Wilson. This one in 9mm instead of .45 ACP. It's a great gun. Slick, smooth and accurate. Honestly, as an aspirational gun out of my reach, it was more special than a gun I could finally approve years later. My gun was used by Wilson in their promotional literature/website for the new X-Tac. 

XTAC-Compact-Rail_2feathered.thumb.jpg.43f10bb4f2627638ff851d3837ce7040.jpg

13 minutes ago, RichP said:

Weatherby Mark V Deluxe in .300 Wby Mag.

Saw the ads in the 80s G&A mags and wanted one from that day on. I've used it with great success over the years, and it will be passed down.

http://wby-tv.com/videos/weatherby-vs-masterlock/

Who here remembers the bank (I don't recall the name now) that gave out Weatherby Mark V's for the interest on Certificates of Deposit?  It was heavily promoted at the time...you gave the bank a defined amount to buy a CD, and you got a new rifle.  When the term of the CD was up, you got your cash back, without interest.

It was long enough ago that I would linger over the ads, wishing I had enough cash to open the CD.  It was also long enough ago that banks weren't actively working to strangle cash and credit flow to any gun-related business.

I wanted the guns from my favorite movies and movie shootout scenes.

Death Wish series, Dirty Harry, Taxi Driver

S&W Models 10, 13, 15, 19, 27, 29 and 36

Colt Pocket Auto in 25 acp

Beretta 84 and 92

Walther PPK/S (not from James Bond, Death Wish 4 I think)

I wanted a,

S&W Model 30 or 31 with a 3" barrel.  I've wound a 31 with a 2".

PPK in 32 ACP just like James Bond.  Finally got one NIB.

Walther P38.  Wound up with a brand new P1 a few years ago and that satisfied that itch.

Beretta Jetfire .25,  got that some time ago. Backed it up with 2 Minx (Minxes?) which is the same gun in 22 short.  They all are the most reliable mouse guns ever made.

S&W Model 27 3 1/2".  Still working on that and a few others.

The AWM because of Counter-Strike and ever since crickett came out with their .22 single shot look alike I've been real tempted to get it. I don't care if it's marketed for kids.

The Steyr AUG partly because of Counter-Strike but more because of Die Hard.

Speaking of Die Hard I guess I have to include the MP5. I don't love it as much as I used to, but it is one that really drew me into the hobby. One of the first firearms i started to recognize and point out by name.

I learned about how good looking the Five-seveN was in Counter-Strike, and after getting a bit more interested in firearms I learned about its unique cartridge. Yes, there is a never ending debate on whether it is the most badass gun ever created or the biggest pile of crap, without any opinion in between. But I don't care if its super effective on black ops missions or not, I just love that its sexy and unique.

Definitely the H&K USP. Again I got familiar with it in Counter-Strike, but it was Jack Bauer that made me love it and want one.

Yes. I played http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Counter-Strike  a lot.

And lastly, the first one that wasn't featured in Counter-Strike, and also the one that I first looked up the price of and finally looked up the process to buying a firearm in NJ (and subsequently found you people) was the Walther PPK. Although I referred to it as the Bond gun and I guess? that was my inspiration for liking it so much... he always used a black one and I really wanted a stainless one.

And which was I able to get? Not a single one. MP5 and AUG are banned by name in NJ, AWM is what $2,000 at least? five seven is also out of my league. The only affordable ones on the list were the PPK but when I was buying my first handgun I wanted a full size 9mm, and the USP but it was almost twice the price of the Ruger SR9 that I picked out instead.

On 6/24/2018 at 6:43 PM, fishnut said:

The gun I drooled over in grandpa's collection was his S&W model 19-2 and I inherited it when I was old enough. 

I wanted a 1911A1 ever since I first shot one (first handgun I ever shot) so I bought one as soon as I got my FID. 

I still want a blued python but I'm not going to have the funds for one anytime soon

I have a blued 6" Python.  I recommend it.
This one REALLY isn't for sale...

• Haha 1

MP5... from Die Hard. I did get a Beretta, but not a fan of the standard 92 (Brigadier Inox). Only a few more months before I can at least pickup a PTR.

I also really want to find two other guns and make something out of them. First one... an Obrez. Would be done the right way... SBR. Second... Whippet gun (A5 or derivative). Really would like to find a Mosin with a crap barrel to do it, as I only need to make a pistol grip and maybe a few inches of barrel. Shotgun would likely be a little more difficult to not have guilt with, but I’m sure people have destroyed enough of them that I’ll find something to use as a base.

And while I’ll never afford the US test gun, a .45 Luger. I am really considering a Lugerman gun, whenever I get $7,000 just laying around.

2 hours ago, fishnut said:

Let me know when you want to fund another tattoo.........I still carry your 649 every day! 

That’s your 649 brother. Not mine. 

I’m thrilled it’s getting used the way it was intended to be used. 

And yeah, the snake has 2 people in front of you. If that day comes. Hopefully tho, it’ll be my wife selling it to cover the cost of the box and the hole. :crazy:

• Like 1

One of the first guns that reallly got me into becoming a gun owner was when I saw Die Hard as a kid. Seeing John McClane use that beautiful Beretta 92 really caught my eye. Later on I knew I wanted to get one someday. I did end up getting one without even testing it first and to this day it’s one of my favorite pistols to shoot. And I think it’s one of the best looking ones out there. 

• Agree 1

10/22 

Charter Arms AR-7

S&W 22 revolver... not sure of the model number

S&W 625

Colt Woodsman

Ruger Speed Six

Colt 1911 

Ithaca Model 37

M1 Garand

As a kid I was in awe of the 1911.  I guess I really liked revolvers, as that is what my Grandfather had.  I wish I had gotten one of his firearms.  The only one I got that was on my list is a 10/22.  I would especially like to get  a Woodsman and plan on getting a 1911 some day.  I am not interested in an AR-7 anymore.

Before I became a gun owner, I always wanted a Desert Eagle in 50 AE.

When I learned to shoot about 12 years ago or so, I fell in love with my brother's Springfield XD in 45 GAP and wanted the Walther P99 and Beretta 92FS he had.  Also loved his Browning Hi Power.

I ended up getting his XD which I still have and love.  Ended up buying two Browning High Powers.

I still do have a Tiger Stripe Desert Eagle on the list.  Added to the list are FN PS90 (Stargate fan) and would want an AUG at some point.

The guns I love now are completely different than what I thought I would... the CZ75 and 1911 and variants/clones. 

A CZ 75B matte stainless or a CZ P01 would be high on my current list.   I would love a Postal Ruger Speed Six and a Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad  as well.

On 1/26/2019 at 2:50 AM, Wavecaster said:

The AWM because of Counter-Strike and ever since crickett came out with their .22 single shot look alike I've been real tempted to get it. I don't care if it's marketed for kids.

The Steyr AUG partly because of Counter-Strike but more because of Die Hard.

Speaking of Die Hard I guess I have to include the MP5. I don't love it as much as I used to, but it is one that really drew me into the hobby. One of the first firearms i started to recognize and point out by name.

I learned about how good looking the Five-seveN was in Counter-Strike, and after getting a bit more interested in firearms I learned about its unique cartridge. Yes, there is a never ending debate on whether it is the most badass gun ever created or the biggest pile of crap, without any opinion in between. But I don't care if its super effective on black ops missions or not, I just love that its sexy and unique.

Definitely the H&K USP. Again I got familiar with it in Counter-Strike, but it was Jack Bauer that made me love it and want one.

Yes. I played http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Counter-Strike  a lot.

And lastly, the first one that wasn't featured in Counter-Strike, and also the one that I first looked up the price of and finally looked up the process to buying a firearm in NJ (and subsequently found you people) was the Walther PPK. Although I referred to it as the Bond gun and I guess? that was my inspiration for liking it so much... he always used a black one and I really wanted a stainless one.

And which was I able to get? Not a single one. MP5 and AUG are banned by name in NJ, AWM is what $2,000 at least? five seven is also out of my league. The only affordable ones on the list were the PPK but when I was buying my first handgun I wanted a full size 9mm, and the USP but it was almost twice the price of the Ruger SR9 that I picked out instead.

Counterstrike had plenty of effect on me as well. 

Real world AWM - used - you are probably looking at $3500-4000 minimum, and new I believe $5500+.  Not including glass worthy of going on the gun, either...  Cheapest way to get a lookalike besides the crickett (which I believe is like a 80% scaled one) is a Rem700 in an AICS chassis, though chassis alone is likely $1000-1500 depending on options.  There was a company (rhineland arms? something like that) which made a wood AICS-look stocks for Savage Mark II and 93R actions (possibly 10/22 too?), which they of course discontinued around when I got my first Savage 93R.  With some effort, it coulda been made to look the part.

Five-seveN - I've come close to buying one a couple times...but cost and the inability to have 20 or 30 round mags for it has kept me from buying one, at least until I move to a free state.

There are AUG clones - usually from companies which then go out of business so you can't buy and/or fix them.  However, I believe there may be an actual Steyr now that is NOT marked AUG, which means you can pay out the ass but can have a legit Steyr not-AUG.

At least with an MP5, you can get a .22 clone if you don't want to shell out for a 9mm clone...