GramGun79

Kitchen remodel help

We are renovating our kitchen at home. I ordered my new cabinets which should arrive in the next few weeks. My question is what steps need to be taken before installing. Do i need to remove and dispose of the old before the installer comes in or do they take care of that and at what point to i have my tile guy come in and remove and install new back splash? 

If you ordered new cabinets and they are installing, that should have been spelled out in contract. Backsplash and cabinets must be removed first. New tile goes in after cabinets installed.

• Like 1

There is a very real chance that the drywall will be damaged when the backsplash is removed.   Repairs are _much_ easier if the cabinets aren't in place.  

I'd look at your contract and see what they are doing for you.    If you're trashing the old cabinets, you can have 'em out in a few hours.  

I would also look into permitting, that is the reason I did not change my cabinets when re-modeling my kitchen. What I was told by a contractor was that in NJ, once cabinets are ripped out, you need a permit and inspection when putting in new cabinets. Not really sure if that was a state or township requirements, so you might want to check into that as well. 

4 hours ago, MartyZ said:

What I was told by a contractor was that in NJ, once cabinets are ripped out, you need a permit and inspection when putting in new cabinets.

I've done a lot of work in the state, I never heard that you need permits or inspections to replace cabinets. They're considered fixtures just like the oven, refrige, washer, dryer, etc.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

I've done a lot of work in the state, I never heard that you need permits or inspections to replace cabinets. They're considered fixtures just like the oven, refrige, washer, dryer, etc.

True...we remodeled our kitchen 3 years and did not need permits.  Perhaps The contractor meant when you do a complete Reno...moving walls and plumbing you need a permit?

as others have stated, check your contract to see what cabinet guys are doing for you.  And definitely remove old backsplash beforehand new cabinets go in.  

1 hour ago, NJSigfan said:

Perhaps The contractor meant when you do a complete Reno...moving walls and plumbing you need a permit?

Exactly, if the plumbing or electric is being moved or relocated, then a permit could be needed.

But, many even do major renos and  relocations of utilities and never get a permit or inspections.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Sniper22 said:

And that is exactly why I followed up with "Not really sure if that was a state or township requirements, so you might want to check into that as well."

And even though they are fixtures, they are permanent fixtures, just like non-load bearing walls. every township has it's own rules, it never hurts to ask, but it does hurt not to ask and then get a fine later, that is all I was trying to say.

I actually needed a construction permit in Manalapan just because I was changing out the Sheetrock on an exterior wall while remodeling my bathroom and the inspector had to come to make sure my insulation and moisture barrier was to spec.

You guys forget that we live in NJ and anyway the state or township can make $10, they will try!

15 hours ago, Tunaman said:

Just call and ask if you need a permit for that. It is not worth ripping it all out when you get caught.

Bad idea.

There are tons of kitchen renovations that don't get/need permits. If you call the town and open that can of worms, expect an invasion.

It's a lot less time consuming and costly to ask for "Forgiveness versus Permission" on those types of projects.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sniper22 said:

Bad idea.

There are tons of kitchen renovations that don't get/need permits. If you call the town and open that can of worms, expect an invasion.

It's a lot less time consuming and costly to ask for "Forgiveness versus Permission" on those types of projects.

Why is it a bad Idea?  You dont have to tell them who you are.  Just ask if a permit is needed for this type of work.  I have a friend  who is 65,000 bucks in rip out,  permits, and fines because he didnt think he needed a permit either.  Good luck with that advice.

8 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Why is it a bad Idea?  You dont have to tell them who you are

Have you ever called the building department and asked those questions?

8 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

I have a friend  who is 65,000 bucks in rip out,  permits, and fines because he didnt think he needed a permit either. 

I've dealt with tons and tons of inspectors. There's a whole lot more to that story if they're making him do a $65K rip out. That doesn't happen for a basic kitchen.

5 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

Why is it a bad Idea?  You dont have to tell them who you are.  Just ask if a permit is needed for this type of work.  I have a friend  who is 65,000 bucks in rip out,  permits, and fines because he didnt think he needed a permit either.  Good luck with that advice.

This. I had 35 yrs in the trades and saw a lot more trouble than I should have ( not mine...)because questions weren't asked before. Questions are free, just use discretion IDng' yourself.

I thought I read recently that the inspectors can't make you rip open stuff anymore but can fine the heck out of you and iirc that was for homeowners not contractors. This new ruling is very recent, again, iirc....

10 minutes ago, siderman said:

I thought I read recently that the inspectors can't make you rip open stuff anymore but can fine the heck out of you and iirc that was for homeowners not contractors. This new ruling is very recent, again, iirc....

If it is not up to code they can most certainly make you rip it out to see whatever is behind it.  In NJ you CAN do your own work including Electrical but get the permit and use the code book.  It is easier than it sounds. 

20 minutes ago, Sniper22 said:

Have you ever called the building department and asked those questions?

I've dealt with tons and tons of inspectors. There's a whole lot more to that story if they're making him do a $65K rip out. That doesn't happen for a basic kitchen.

It is a kitchen...in a basement...with no permit.  Also,  if you do it without a permit and you have a fire you can forget about insurance coverage.

Is it really worth the hassle for a 100 dollar permit?  I think no.  Been there done that.

1 minute ago, Tunaman said:

If it is not up to code they can most certainly make you rip it out to see whatever is behind it.  In NJ you CAN do your own work including Electrical but get the permit and use the code book.  It is easier than it sounds. 

Been there done that , built my own house yrs ago. I'm gonna see if I can find that no rip out statute, maybe mistaken but I gots to know.

6 minutes ago, Tunaman said:

One clarification which I found out the hard way. You CAN do your own electrical and plumbing if it's a standalone structure, however, townhouse, condo, apartment, you need a licensed electrition and/or plumber.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, MartyZ said:

One clarification which I found out the hard way. You CAN do your own electrical and plumbing if it's a standalone structure, however, townhouse, condo, apartment, you need a licensed electrition and/or plumber.

Yes.  If it connected to other dwellings you are correct.

And that is exactly why I followed up with "Not really sure if that was a state or township requirements, so you might want to check into that as well."
And even though they are fixtures, they are permanent fixtures, just like non-load bearing walls. every township has it's own rules, it never hurts to ask, but it does hurt not to ask and then get a fine later, that is all I was trying to say.
I actually needed a construction permit in Manalapan just because I was changing out the Sheetrock on an exterior wall while remodeling my bathroom and the inspector had to come to make sure my insulation and moisture barrier was to spec.
You guys forget that we live in NJ and anyway the state or township can make $10, they will try!
Manalapan got in trouble for those drywall permits. They don't require them anymore.

Only towns I know that get away with the permits for kitchen remodel are East Brunswick and Old Bridge. Old Bridge wants a permit for changing a toilet.

Contractor should have spelled out in contract.

If anyone is ever looking for kitchen cabinets I sell only American Made Cabinets at the best prices. We do complete remodels as well but not North of the Raritan River or South of Jackson. However I can have cabinets shipped anywhere.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Towns can not do that anymore either. Been at least 2 years since they could. They can only require you to get permits. Inspect for inherently dangerous readily accessible so they can't make you rip anything out. Max fine is $2,000 and 3 years back taxes of whatever the work added to the value of the house.

It is a kitchen...in a basement...with no permit.  Also,  if you do it without a permit and you have a fire you can forget about insurance coverage.
Is it really worth the hassle for a 100 dollar permit?  I think no.  Been there done that.
Only reason they can make him rip that out is because of the turning a single family into a multi family. The way around it is to say you are Jewish and need a second kitchen for holy food Prep. Italian friend of mine did that in Manalapan. They couldn't stop him. He got permits in advance of adding the kitchen in the basement.

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

Towns can not do that anymore either. Been at least 2 years since they could. They can only require you to get permits. Inspect for inherently dangerous readily accessible so they can't make you rip anything out. Max fine is $2,000 and 3 years back taxes of whatever the work added to the value of the house.

That's probly the info I came across which I referenced in my above post. Knew I wasn't imagining lt lol.

That's probly the info I came across which I referenced in my above post. Knew I wasn't imagining lt lol.
Yes you were correct except they also limited the fines. Now you know the reason why don't you? It wasn't for the people. It was for banks that ended up with properties back. Manalapan was fining the banks or even worse the new owners and making them rip stuff out. If only the Rothchilds lived in NJ and cared about ARs

5 hours ago, Tunaman said:

If it is not up to code they can most certainly make you rip it out to see whatever is behind it.

Permit or not, Homeowner or not, you always do the work per code, then there's nothing to rip out.

5 hours ago, Tunaman said:

It is a kitchen...in a basement...with no permit.

Like I said, I thought there was more to the story.... Doesn't sound like just a kitchen redo, but a whole new kitchen with new utilities. For $65K, it also sounds like a whole bunch of non code compliant work, then really, Really, REALLY pissing off the inspector when he got caught. Like it or not, an inspector can really ruin your day if you piss them off.

4 hours ago, capt14k said:

Only reason they can make him rip that out is because of the turning a single family into a multi family.

Could of been that too, which would have brought the wrath of Zoning down on him, along with the Building Dept.