oohrah

Howdy from Texas

I am visiting my daughter and family in Succasunna, so I thought I would check in with New Jersey folks who appreciate 2A rights.  Needless to say, I'm disappointed I drove all this way from Waco, Texas, and could not bring my EDC because I'm not allowed to transport if my destination is NJ.

Perhaps y'all can educate me on the current status of NJ gun laws and enforcement, because all we hear are horror stories.  I did find a gun range nearby that rents, but only allows 2 or more in a lane (what's up with that?).  So, I will probably take my daughter (also a former Marine) and check it out.

I expect to be visiting often, and I assume it is near impossible to get a carry license here, but I applaud your mission to increase your gun rights.  You have my total support.  If there is someway to financially support your forum, I'll look for that.

As for me, I am a retired Marine officer (flew A-6 Intruders), and a retired Aeronautical Engineer and engineering professor.  I also have a private fixed wing and helicopter pilot license, and do not plan to move from Texas anytime soon.

And, if any of you ever find yourself passing through Waco, I will buy you a beer and take you to my range.  Texas honors NJ carry permits, but you can also carry concealed in your vehicle without a license.

Cheers

Welcome from Tampa Bay, FL, from a former NJ'ian.  You are correct that it is next to impossible for the average citizen to get a concealed carry permit in NJ (unless you or your atty.  are very well connected with the judge in the coutny in which you're applying - that judge and the CLEO of the municipality are the two you have to get by, and you almost never get by the judge).  As for the "2 or more," some ranges may restrict admissions for various reasons. Most of the time, they don't; want a solitary individual entering the range to shoot, especially if they're looking to rent a firearm from the range because they don't own one themselves.  This, to mitigate the risk of suicides.  There have been a lot of them in various ranges.  I gather, bringing a partner lessens the risk as well. 

The current state of NJ gun laws grows worse every day, now that there is a democratic governor. Several bills just got signed into law... the nastiest one (IMHO) being a ban on magazines holding more than 10 rounds.  The previous mag limit In NJ was 15 rounds.  That one is being challenged in court.  I'm sure others here will be able to provide more color on these new laws, as well as the older ones, which were just as odious.  

Yes, you being a non-resident would not be allowed to bring in your hand gun and/or carry it without a permit. Also, you have to make sure that whatever weapons you bring into NJ are "NJ Legal," and there a a lot of different rules/regs about what is and is not NJ Legal.  The best resource on this would be Evan Nappen's book, NJ Gun Law...

Anyway, Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Welcome to the forum and The peoples republik  of NJ. In a nut shell in NJ assault weapon ban is effective, as of just recently 10 round max mags, NO hollow points out side the home...…. You obviously don't have a FID (NJ gun card) if your daughter doesn't have one, I'd recommend renting at the range vs driving with a fire arm in the car. Be advised NJ is one of the most anti 2A states in the country. You will be arrested and prosecuted for any firearm violation you even remotely violate...… And in many places arrested for infractions a LEO thinks your violating but actually are not...…. If you do get arrested in NJ on a firearm violation you are guilty un till proven innocent as well. Again, welcome to NJ and the forum and have fun at the range, But be careful coming and going. 

I am visiting my daughter and family in Succasunna, so I thought I would check in with New Jersey folks who appreciate 2A rights.  Needless to say, I'm disappointed I drove all this way from Waco, Texas, and could not bring my EDC because I'm not allowed to transport if my destination is NJ.
Perhaps y'all can educate me on the current status of NJ gun laws and enforcement, because all we hear are horror stories.  I did find a gun range nearby that rents, but only allows 2 or more in a lane (what's up with that?).  So, I will probably take my daughter (also a former Marine) and check it out.
I expect to be visiting often, and I assume it is near impossible to get a carry license here, but I applaud your mission to increase your gun rights.  You have my total support.  If there is someway to financially support your forum, I'll look for that.
As for me, I am a retired Marine officer (flew A-6 Intruders), and a retired Aeronautical Engineer and engineering professor.  I also have a private fixed wing and helicopter pilot license, and do not plan to move from Texas anytime soon.
And, if any of you ever find yourself passing through Waco, I will buy you a beer and take you to my range.  Texas honors NJ carry permits, but you can also carry concealed in your vehicle without a license.
Cheers

Welcome. Did you daughter move from Texas to NJ? If so I’m sorry lol.

Gun Rights situation is critical right now.

As for donations best thing to do is donate to CNJFO owners who are matching any donations up to $2,500 total and then CNJFO is cutting a check for $5,000 to ANJRPC which is the NJ chapter of the NRA and is the group that filed for injunctive relief against the 10 round magazine restriction and CCW lawsuit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Wow, the horror stories are true.  I truly feel for you guys.  No, my daughter moved from Chicago (out of the frying pan and into the fire :) ), however since IL became a shall issue state, I did get a non-resident IL CCL.  And then - she up and gets transferred to NJ!

We don't have any guns here, we're just planning on renting, but appreciate the advice.

Maybe y'all could try the federal challenge that forced IL to become a shall issue.  I'll look at the CNJFO.

Thanks

13 minutes ago, oohrah said:

Wow, the horror stories are true.  I truly feel for you guys.  No, my daughter moved from Chicago (out of the frying pan and into the fire :) ), however since IL became a shall issue state, I did get a non-resident IL CCL.  And then - she up and gets transferred to NJ!

We don't have any guns here, we're just planning on renting, but appreciate the advice.

Maybe y'all could try the federal challenge that forced IL to become a shall issue.  I'll look at the CNJFO.

Thanks

Yes, they are true, indeed! Here are a couple of examples.  Shaneen Allen & Brian Fletcher.  Unfortunately, I don't think they could try the "federal challenges" in NJ because NJ is in the 3rd district of the US Federal Court. A lot different than the 7th for Illinois (BTW, I went to undergrad. college at NU, and I lived in Roger's Park for 2 years and then Schaumburg for 3, before returning to NJ).  What will have to happen is to have CCW pass in a couple of districts, then fail in the 3rd (and the 9th district likely), and then have it resolved in SCOTUS. But we have to get a couple more Trump pics on SCOTUS before they take it on.

If you and your daughter go together, you should be OK to rent.  Either that, or depending on where you are staying in NJ, consider heading over to PA or Delaware to shoot there. 

1 hour ago, oohrah said:

I just want to be able to say I shot a gun in NJ :p

Best chance of that... Look out for the "Shotgun Shootout" announcements on this forum.  There are a group of forum members here that are shotgun enthusiasts and meet usually once a month at the Clinton Wildlife Management Area Along I-78 in Clinton Twp.  Bring some shells and/or clays with you, and I'm sure there will be folks that will let you borrow their shotties and try them out.  Be sure to bring ear & eye protection as well. 

Welcome. Your daughter should apply at her local PD for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPID). This allows her to purchase long guns and ammo in NJ. I believe you can also apply at the closest NJSP barracks as a non-resident. I am not totally knowledgeable about non-residents in NJ so I am sure others will chime in with more info.

I have my Texas LTC. The gun laws are so much more logical in Texas (and pretty much everywhere else).

This is the FPID application: http://www.njsp.org/firearms/pdf/sts-033.pdf

NJSP Firearms FAQ: http://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml

How do you obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card and/or a Permit to Purchase a Handgun?

You must apply at your local police department. If you do not have a local police department or you are an out of state resident, you must apply at the nearest New Jersey State Police station (excluding toll roads, stations on the New Jersey Turnpike, Garden State Parkway, and Atlantic City Expressway).

Out of State residents may only apply for a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card. For any further information outlining specific requirements, contact your police department or nearest New Jersey State Police station.

Good info, Thanks.  I'll pass this along to my daughter. 

So, as a non-resident, I can get an FPID.  Does this then allow me to transport a long gun or shotgun in my vehicle (unloaded and locked case, I presume?)?  And also buy ammo?

1 hour ago, oohrah said:

Good info, Thanks.  I'll pass this along to my daughter. 

So, as a non-resident, I can get an FPID.  Does this then allow me to transport a long gun or shotgun in my vehicle (unloaded and locked case, I presume?)?  And also buy ammo?

Yes

and welcome 

6 minutes ago, oohrah said:

Thanks,  I'll tell my daughter.  I think as a non-resident I have to find a State Police office?  Can it be any of them?

I do not believe that’s the case.. but I’m not sure. If you are living in a locale I’d ck that PD first. 

20 hours ago, oohrah said:

Cheers

Howdy, neighbor!!

I’m originally from Sweetwater, Tx, but I live up here in NJ now. Cherry Hill area. Still own a ranch out there, so I’m back home on a semi-regular basis, and don’t lose touch with Texas. 

Should you need anything while you’re up here, let me know. I’m happy to help a fellow Texan!!! I’ll pm you my number. 

• Like 3

Lived 10 years in West Texas.  Welcome.

NJ is evil when it comes to gun laws.

You can bring firearms from out of state.  Just need to be NJ legal.  Need to follow all the NJ laws as far as transporting. 

Don't need a NJ FID to own or possess.  Just if you want to purchase long guns or handgun ammo.

Enjoy your time visiting.  Find a local bagel joint and try a pork roll, egg and cheese on a roll.  Local delicacy.  Try some local bagels as well!

Thank you for you and your daughter's service.

Hi Glen, thanks for the input.  Reading the laws is daunting.

I understand NJ transport requirements under federal law.  What I don't understand is my status as a non-resident.  My daughter, a NJ resident, can certainly have a handgun on her private property without a license or FID.  But am I, a non-resident, legally allowed to possess a handgun on her private property?  And how do I transport it into NJ to get it to her private property?

Anecdotal stories have warned non-residents that NJ will arrest and prosecute you and make you use the laws as a defense to conviction.

If you are flying to visit, leave the guns at home.  NJ / NY would love to make you a felon.  Even if you follow every law.

Driving, you are more protected. Though it's a LONG drive from the great state of Texas to NJ.

I would recommend leave your guns at home.  Go to range that rents.  Or have daughter buy a few once she has residency established.  It's not nearly as easy to purchase a firearm in NJ as Texas or most of free America but it's not impossible either.

What area of NJ will she be living around.  NJ actually has a few indoor ranges with more opening in the near future.  I'm sure forum members here could recommend some nearby ranges.

Yes, good advice I think.  We went to RTSP in Randolph yesterday.  Great range with lots of nice people.

Open invitation to anyone on this forum if you ever get to Texas.

I'm a member there. Great range. I live one town away from your daughter. Hit me up next time you're here. I have guest passes. And if you're shooting with me, you don't have to rent. I'll bring a variety of stuff to have fun with there. Just buy your ammo.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Deerslayer, I will put you on my list - thanks for the invite.

Interestingly, the guys at RTSP said they can only sell me ammo if I rent, but because I had a carry license, they could sell me ammo if I brought my own gun.  I wonder if it has something to do with needing a FID?

Can I legally bring my own ammo in from out of state?  Regardless, I can always reimburse you.

Thanks again,

Correct .. it has to do with needing a FPID to purchase ammo.   And yes you can bring your own ammo, if you have your own firearm... they do have a few restrictions on things you can't shoot like steel core ammo, etc.   If your shooting a rented firearm, you must use their ammo.