oohrah

Cowboy Action - SASS?

Howdy from Texas.  I do BP and cowboy shooting.  I'm visiting my daughter in Succasunna and didn't bring any guns, but I will be back.

Just wondering if y'all have SASS or cowboy action shooting matches in NJ, and what the laws are on cap & ball revolvers, and period lever action rifles and shotguns.

Yes, SASS is shot once a month (third Sunday) at Shongum Sportsmens Assn in Mansfield, not far from Succasunna.  However, NJ gun laws are such than quite frankly leave everything in Texas, and just visit with family.  To simplify the issue, unless somebody goes with you to the range, stays with you, and supplies you their equipment, the pitfalls are too great and NJ may end up to be your permanent home.                     

FYI, all NJ firearms are treated the same.  Makes no difference, if it shoots a projectile it's a firearm, including Cap and Ball, even BB guns and pellet guns. Sorry, dude.

Old Bridge R&P is doing its' "Old West Shoot" this Saturday morning.  A paper shoot with black powder, BP cartridge as well as some smokeless.  Six-guns & levers.  .22 LR shooting tree man-on-man competition too.  So come dressed-up & bring ammo & someone is bound to loan you guns that are already dirty :)   It's a little South of where you are & about 1/2 way to Central Jersey Club (GRIZ mentioned) in Jackson.

Nice to see that at least folks can still go to range and have some fun up here.  All we hear in Texas is horror stories.

I appreciate the invite, unfortunately I'm at the mercy of my family's schedule this weekend (this is our first visit).  Also didn't bring any gear, but will put it on the list for next time.

Actually, I'm also a BP guy.  I load my own 45LC and shotshells in BP.  I have a Stoeger Coach, couple of Piettas with cartridge conversions, and a Rossi 92 in 45LC (keeps it simple).  I am Trickster Dick in SASS..

Have fun!

• Like 1

On 6/26/2018 at 8:26 PM, Smokin .50 said:

Old Bridge R&P is doing its' "Old West Shoot" this Saturday morning.  A paper shoot with black powder, BP cartridge as well as some smokeless.  Six-guns & levers.  .22 LR shooting tree man-on-man competition too.  So come dressed-up & bring ammo & someone is bound to loan you guns that are already dirty :)   It's a little South of where you are & about 1/2 way to Central Jersey Club (GRIZ mentioned) in Jackson.

Man! I wish I knew about this earlier.......this'll teach me to snooze on this website.

28 minutes ago, Cemeterys Gun Blob said:

Actually, 4th Sunday of each month.

I wish there was a club around that did a Saturday shoot.

I based my response on the calendar which shows CA on the 14th of July.  I really dont follow it.  That may not be the normal schedule.  I've been thinking of trying it as I have the "correct" era firearms to do so.

16 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I based my response on the calendar which shows CA on the 14th of July.  I really dont follow it.  That may not be the normal schedule.  I've been thinking of trying it as I have the "correct" era firearms to do so.

Ah, the 14th is the Wild Bunch match.  1911s, 1897s or Model 12s, and lever gunz.