High Exposure

Side-Charging AR Upper Receiver Questions

So, I have always thought of the Side-Charging AR uppers as gimmicky and serving a niche role in the AR market.

Interestingly enough, I find myself looking for one to finish a project I have been working on for a while. I thought a standard AR upper would work, but after consideration (and some smashed knuckles) I am thinking a side charger may be a better fit. The problem is I know very little about them or the companies that make them.

Can anyone here school me on the Pros and Cons of side-chargers?

Further, can anyone recommend which brands/models are good and which are shite?

What qualities are desirable and not?

Any version/company to avoid?

Looking for a non-reciprocating style with a left side charging handle (unless someone who knows can convince me why right side would be better for a right handed shooter) and it must have a dust cover.

Thanks!

From the 1st time I looked at an AR I thought that charging handle was stupid (along with the forward assist) With the sidecharge (reciprocating style) you can take the weapon out of battery, like to see if a round is in the chamber, and put it back in quickly and quietly. You can't do that with a non-reciprocating style and need to have a forward assist. the good thing with the non-reciprocating style is you can use any BCG you want. Some all you need to do is swap out the cam pin. Others no change at all.

My 1st sidecharge was on my 300 blk out, a Crosshill Technology Ambidextrous reciprocating style sidecharge. I have the handle on the left side. Feels a bit more AR style to charge and easier to charge while on target. But on my SPR I have a Midway AR-Stoner sidecharge with the handle on the right and it feels more natural for a semi-auto rifle. At least to me. I don't really shoot either enough to make a life or death decision on whats better. I just poke holes in paper with mine so YMMV. If you're gonna put optics on an AR you need to at least try a sidecharge. You'll stop smashing your knuckles.

The one I think fits your qualifications is the Gibbs Arms

https://gibbzarms.com/product/mg4-side-charging-upper-receiver/

They've been around awhile and get good reviews. I've done some research on you tube and never heard anyone say a sidecharge is crap. The only down side is it takes a bit longer to disassemble. Another thing you might want to take into consideration is whether  you need/want a folding handle. It does kinda stick out there and could cause a hang up on something. In that case you might want to check out

https://www.newfrontierarmory.com/shop/extar-folding-charge-handle/

I don't have a non-reciprocating AR but you're welcome to try mine to see if you like the feel of a sidecharge. 

Here's my build using an ASA upper (American Spirit Arms), left side charging handle that folds and is not reciprocating. You need to use a special bolt carrier with a notch in it for the charging handle. These are available I believe from Brownells, but I machined the notch into the BCG that I wanted to use. I have a little over 1000 rounds through it now and all is good (and I ditched the shitty BUIS too haha). Let me know if you have any questions I'd be happy to help. 

Edit: Just saw you don't want a proprietary BCG. It really wasn't that hard to make the notch if you know how to run the machine and have the right bits, but you can also use the available BCG with your own bolt. 

EKlr4Bx.jpg

UEEufBw.gif

5esnwtC.jpg

IflfsWT.jpg

• Like 1

I recognize that BCG. Just don't remember who's it is. They were going to make a more traditional non-pistol grip, no buffer tube AR platform based rifle. If I remember they changed their name shortly after coming out with it. I lost track after that. 

This is the bolt carrier I need to use for this project.
Dontsleeponit, who did the milling for you?

Ah I see, that kind of setup with a side charger would be cool.
Someone at my old job did it for me, but it's simple for a machinist. We did that using an old Bridgeport. Just have to clamp the BCG properly in the vice so it doesn't move, we used a few scrap aluminum pieces for shims. Also need the correct carbide end mill. Regular steel end mill bits had no chance. ASA provides a nice diagram a machine shop can use with measurements, the pdf is on their site. A basic machine shop should be able to handle the task I'd think. I can send you more detailed pictures if/when you need them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Lantac makes a really nice side charger and upper receiver:

https://www.lantac-usa.com/product-page/enhanced-bcg-di-side-cahrager-223-5-56

https://www.lantac-usa.com/product-page/usc-billet-upper-side-charging-receiver

I know someone that's used these on a build and is very happy with them. They also make a straight-pull BCG as well. They had a complete Lantac straight-pull upper on display at RTSP not too long ago. From what I remember it was basically the same Raven upper with the straight-pull BCG and a barrel that doesn't have the gas port drilled

On 6/26/2018 at 9:23 AM, High Exposure said:

So, I have always thought of the Side-Charging AR uppers as gimmicky and serving a niche role in the AR market.

Interestingly enough, I find myself looking for one to finish a project I have been working on for a while. I thought a standard AR upper would work, but after consideration (and some smashed knuckles) I am thinking a side charger may be a better fit. The problem is I know very little about them or the companies that make them.

Can anyone here school me on the Pros and Cons of side-chargers?

Further, can anyone recommend which brands/models are good and which are shite?

What qualities are desirable and not?

Any version/company to avoid?

Looking for a non-reciprocating style with a left side charging handle (unless someone who knows can convince me why right side would be better for a right handed shooter) and it must have a dust cover.

Thanks!

I have a reciprocating bolt AR sidecharger that I use for precision.  I quite like side charging like you would on an AK.  Non-reciprocating is better, less finger smashing opportunities, more expensive and less choice.  

If you are righty get a right side charger because the brass ejection going in front of you.   There will be a bolt release on the left side, standard, so you wouldn't have to take you hand from the trigger to go back to battery.

Lol!

Nope. No weird calibers, not a precision gun. 

I just want to build a “featureless” fighting carbine in 5.56 that is legal.

I got my hands on an Ares/Fightlight SCR for a good price from a buddy in NY that is moving to Florida and no longer needs, or wants, a featureless AR. I think a side charger will really shine on one of these lowers. Then it’s decisions on slings, lights, and sights in that order....

Its a fun project.

And yes, I do realize that I am basically making an AR into a Mini-14.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Lol!

Nope. No weird calibers, not a precision gun. 

I just want to build a “featureless” fighting carbine in 5.56 that is legal.

I got my hands on an Ares/Fightlight SCR for a good price from a buddy in NY that is moving to Florida and no longer needs, or wants, a featureless AR. I think a side charger will really shine on one of these lowers. Then it’s decisions on slings, lights, and sights in that order....

Its a fun project.

And yes, I do realize that I am basically making an AR into a Mini-14.

You’re basically making an AR into a mini 14 ya know.

On 6/27/2018 at 2:43 PM, Zeke said:

@Scorpio64 is the gonna be @High Exposure venture into precision? Is that what I’m seeing here

What u see is a guy who knows how to fight with an ar, seeing the ban hammer coming shortly and wants to be ready.

I wouldn't say I see anything coming, but having a 50 state legal "fighting gun" that is more capable than most does give me the warm and fuzzies.

So far, looks like the Gibbz MG4 is the one. The most recent iteration has been made with a relief cut that make their use on the lower I have more reliable. Only downside is - they are freaking expensive! Time to save up or sell some stuff I'm not using.....

Now I am looking for some low iron sights that I can install on a 1913 rail that are low - like the iron sights that the CZ Scorpion EVO comes with.

• Like 1