maintenanceguy

NJ FFLs - doing business off premises

I know that NJ law limits FFL's to conducting business only at the location of the FFL business.  That's why NJ will never have gun shows.

But, does that also apply to purchasing firearms.  If a widow wanted to sell her husband's collection, can an FFL holder visit her home and make her an offer or will she need to bring the guns into the shop?

They can't legally sell there. If they are, they're in a heap of trouble. They are probably transferring the firearm to a PA Dealer for the sale, which is also against the regulations. A dealer can only dispose at their premise address or at an in-state gun show.

Anybody catch what I posted?

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

They can't legally sell there. If they are, they're in a heap of trouble. They are probably transferring the firearm to a PA Dealer for the sale, which is also against the regulations. A dealer can only dispose at their premise address or at an in-state gun show. 

Anybody catch what I posted?

Maybe the NJ dealer had a PA dealer partner. I know the transfer was ran through PICS not NJ NICS.

Can an FFL be licensed in two states if they own physical stores in 2 states? How does Heritage Guild do it? Partners each with their own license?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe the NJ dealer had a PA dealer partner. I know the transfer was ran through PICS not NJ NICS.

Can an FFL be licensed in two states if they own physical stores in 2 states? How does Heritage Guild do it? Partners each with their own license?

If the firearm was on the NJ Dealers books, no transfer can legally take place in PA. They would have to take it back to NJ and ship it from there.

A dealer can be licensed in different states. Think of Cabelas. However, to be a legal sale, the firearm from a DE Dealer can not be transferred at a PA Gun Show.

The NJ Dealer probably logged the firearm out to the PA Dealer, handed them the gun, and the PA Dealer logged it in and did the PICS on the customer. Totally against the law. I am surprised they would take a chance nowadays.

On 6/29/2018 at 0:00 AM, PK90 said:

If the firearm was on the NJ Dealers books, no transfer can legally take place in PA. They would have to take it back to NJ and ship it from there.

A dealer can be licensed in different states. Think of Cabelas. However, to be a legal sale, the firearm from a DE Dealer can not be transferred at a PA Gun Show.

The NJ Dealer probably logged the firearm out to the PA Dealer, handed them the gun, and the PA Dealer logged it in and did the PICS on the customer. Totally against the law. I am surprised they would take a chance nowadays.

The new promoter for the Matamoras, PA gun show, who is from NY, had brought in a lot of NY dealers when they took it over. They were trying to get PA dealers to come and do transfers, at the show, for the NY dealers. There was one or two who were doing it, but (not surprisingly) they have been having issues getting dealers to do it. They're asking for trouble.

Out of curiosity, any repurcussions for a legal end buyer who is following the law (i.e. goes thru PICS and all other steps for buying in PA), or is it only the FFL(s) who could get in trouble in the above situation?

I have yet to buy out of state and take delivery, though I have used gunbroker to get specific items I was looking for, just shipped to local NJ FFLs.

How is it NJ dealers can setup at PA shows sell and do transfers? Are they licensed in both states?

I was talking to the ATF agent during my interview... and the subject of gun shows came up. There are exemptions for NJ FFLs to sell certain firearms at an out of state gun show (namely C&R, but she didn’t go into more detail), but it is illegal for how NJ FFLs would setup and transfer handguns to individual NJ residents at Oaks and other PA shows.

Figured I’d add it in here, as it was common enough for her to know about it. Be careful with that.

I was talking to the ATF agent during my interview... and the subject of gun shows came up. There are exemptions for NJ FFLs to sell certain firearms at an out of state gun show (namely C&R, but she didn’t go into more detail), but it is illegal for how NJ FFLs would setup and transfer handguns to individual NJ residents at Oaks and other PA shows.

Figured I’d add it in here, as it was common enough for her to know about it. Be careful with that.

These were rifles not handguns. Specifically Mosins and Mausers

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

These were rifles not handguns. Specifically Mosins and Mausers  

Then they might have had the exemption.

And realized I put handguns instead of firearms. Still true, as NJ dealers did put up signs stating they could do it in PA.

The new promoter for the Matamoras, PA gun show, who is from NY, had brought in a lot of NY dealers when they took it over. They were trying to get PA dealers to come and do transfers, at the show, for the NY dealers. There was one or two who were doing it, but (not surprisingly) they have been having issues getting dealers to do it. They're asking for trouble.

Actually it is legal under BATF regulations and law. They call it advance consignment. The BATF would like to change the law and issue gunshow FFL.

9dace4f06a1775460d3acdff6b29af16.png

39 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Actually it is legal under BATF regulations and law. They call it advance consignment. The BATF would like to change the law and issue gunshow FFL.

9dace4f06a1775460d3acdff6b29af16.png

From what I recall about "advance Consignment" (and it's been a while since I've looked at it) an out of state dealer has to make an arrangement to deliver and transfer the firearms to the in state dealer prior to the show. Setting up at an out of state show, making deals with a customer while there and handing the firearm  to an in state dealer to do the transfer is a no-no. But I still see guys doing it.

46 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Here is a copy of the white paper proposals from 2017.

https://sofrep.com/84899/major-changes-nfa-coming-hope/

A lot of good proposals in there, let's hope we can get some of this done......

A lot of good proposals in there, let's hope we can get some of this done......
These guys were at adjoining tables. I thought they were the same outfit, but most likely one was NJ and the other PA. They probably did the advance transfer prior to the show knowing they would be working together. Thanks for the info.

Yes I like the proposals as well. Also like the change to exports for under .50. Less worrying about ITAR.