http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

Item G

If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm and ammunition must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console;

Here we go......the above linked law is for traveling "through" NJ such as out of state travelers passing through this state. We don't have to lock up our guns going to the range for example they just need to be cased or in an otherwise secured package. it's all in our Gun LawFAX section under transporting, look it up. you can of course lock em up but don't have to.

1 hour ago, siderman said:

Here we go......the above linked law is for traveling "through" NJ such as out of state travelers passing through this state. We don't have to lock up our guns going to the range for example they just need to be cased or in an otherwise secured package. it's all in our Gun LawFAX section under transporting, look it up. you can of course lock em up but don't have to.

On the NJSP site for FAQs ( http://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml ) question #6 reads:

How do you transport firearms?

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

So, as usual, they're talking out of all three sides of their mouth.  I'll lock'em up in a job box.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BobA said:

On the NJSP site for FAQs ( http://www.njsp.org/firearms/firearms-faqs.shtml ) question #6 reads:

How do you transport firearms?

Firearms shall be carried unloaded and contained in a closed and fastened case, gunbox, securely tied package, or locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported.

Ammunition must be transported in a separate container and locked in the trunk of the automobile in which it is being transported. If the vehicle does not have a compartment separate from the passenger compartment, the firearm must be in a locked container other than the vehicle's glove compartment or console.

So, as usual, they're talking out of all three sides of their mouth.  I'll lock'em up in a job box.

NJSP combined the most restrictive parts of state law and federal law.  The problem is that Troopers and many other departments use this information as guidance and will end up arresting people who are following NJ law because the NJSP is giving out false information.

• Like 3

I have a Chevy tahoe.  No trunk.   I put my guns in their own case/cases and ammo in their own boxes.   My question is can I put both in a locked pelican case.   Does this violate the law.?   Also where does the range property begin .   Is it the parking lot or the building of the range.      

2 hours ago, Quincy666 said:

I have a Chevy tahoe.  No trunk.   I put my guns in their own case/cases and ammo in their own boxes.   My question is can I put both in a locked pelican case.   Does this violate the law.?   Also where does the range property begin .   Is it the parking lot or the building of the range.      

unless something is changed.. the box does NOT need to be locked.. and it being locked changes nothing.. 

That is pretty much what I do as well but I guess I was asking (and I realize this is dumb but we are talking NJ gun laws) is does putting your guns and ammo in one container even though they are in separate bags illegal?  The law seems to state they need to be separated    My other question (also probably dumb) pertains to RTSP in Union    It shares a parking lot with Harbor Freight    If I combine guns and ammo in one bag in the parking lot then enter the range is this illegal    I realize it would probably never come up but it sure would suck if it did   Thanks