Leo1989

NJ Fid card, question 26

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum. I’m glad to be a part of the community. Well today was the day I was going to be submitting my application for a handgun permit and I pretty much chickened out. He’s my current issue, as far as what I read on question 26 it states “have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any Doctor or psychiatrist, or at any hospital or mental institution, on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition?

Well I suffered from heart palpitations for quite some time a few years to be exact, went to the emergency room twice within 5 years thinking it was something serious and they ran some tests and my heart was fine, nothing mental. They suggested I see a medical doctor or cardiologist. I’m currently seeing a medical doctor at a clinic to have it treated. She has prescribed me Xanax to alleviate the palpitations and I’ve been taking it for about 10 months and I just recently stopped it about 2 months ago. Under my current medical history file with the clinic it states my conditions are “anxiety”, and “palpitations”. I have never seen a  psychiatrist nor a Psychologist and was never committed voluntarily to a mental hospital. My question is should I answer “yes” to this question? I feel like if I do I’m pretty much telling them I suffer from a mental condition which I don’t. I’m also an unarmed government security officer if that helps in the application process. Should I contact a lawyer? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

im not a doctor nor a lawyer so dont take what I say as legal or medical advice.   Personally I have always thought question 26 is a loaded question in their favor .. no pun intended.

But Anxiety is technically listed as a mental health issue so you could get yourself into trouble by saying no.  I think your last assumption is probably a good idea.. consult a 2a friendly/experienced lawyer. 

2 hours ago, Leo1989 said:

Hey everyone I’m new to the forum. I’m glad to be a part of the community. Well today was the day I was going to be submitting my application for a handgun permit and I pretty much chickened out. He’s my current issue, as far as what I read on question 26 it states “have you ever been attended, treated or observed by any Doctor or psychiatrist, or at any hospital or mental institution, on an inpatient or outpatient basis for any mental or psychiatric condition?

Well I suffered from heart palpitations for quite some time a few years to be exact, went to the emergency room twice within 5 years thinking it was something serious and they ran some tests and my heart was fine, nothing mental. They suggested I see a medical doctor or cardiologist. I’m currently seeing a medical doctor at a clinic to have it treated. She has prescribed me Xanax to alleviate the palpitations and I’ve been taking it for about 10 months and I just recently stopped it about 2 months ago. Under my current medical history file with the clinic it states my conditions are “anxiety”, and “palpitations”. I have never seen a  psychiatrist nor a Psychologist and was never committed voluntarily to a mental hospital. My question is should I answer “yes” to this question? I feel like if I do I’m pretty much telling them I suffer from a mental condition which I don’t. I’m also an unarmed government security officer if that helps in the application process. Should I contact a lawyer? Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

Thanks for your advice, it just sucks admitting to the police that I have a mental health issue which I don’t! I was prescribed XanaX to treat it. In all honesty if anyone knows about this as a I am a government employee with no knowledge on the mental background check, if I was to answer no would police actually see that I was treated for anxiety at a private clinic for heart palpitations? I never seen any Psychologist or  psychiatrist for any mental reasons. Never confined or committed. What do police actually look for since we are governed by hippa through private practice 

you didn't go for a mental or psychiatric problem so the answer is a big NO.    what medication you may have been prescribed has NOTHING to do with anything.   I am prescribed a medication for diabetic nerve pain that is also prescribed for depression and shit like that, NONE of their friggen business why I take it.   When the investigating officer has an DR in front of his name or a MD following his name he "might " be able to tell why you were prescribed that med, until than he is NO position to ask ANY medical questions .    unless there is something other answer NO.   far too many people have been caught up with this question 26, the general rule of thumb is unless a judge ordered you confined ( something you would know ) than NO.

it costs thousands and thousands  of dollars if you answer yes,  

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, revenger said:

you didn't go for a mental or psychiatric problem so the answer is a big NO.    what medication you may have been prescribed has NOTHING to do with anything.   I am prescribed a medication for diabetic nerve pain that is also prescribed for depression and shit like that, NONE of their friggen business why I take it.   When the investigating officer has an DR in front of his name or a MD following his name he "might " be able to tell why you were prescribed that med, until than he is NO position to ask ANY medical questions .    unless there is something other answer NO.   far too many people have been caught up with this question 26, the general rule of thumb is unless a judge ordered you confined ( something you would know ) than NO.

it costs thousands and thousands  of dollars if you answer yes,  

I appreciate this and honestly the only thing I’m in fear of is the fact that I’ve been prescribed Xanax and it’s in my medical record that I have anxiety through my private medical doctor. Considering it’s a mental health med would that even show up on a mental health check? It’s through a private clinic and like i said I was never evaluated at any mental institution or hospital. 

I feel the police are really having you volunteer information that they cannot lookup and would rather have you tell them so they can do their own investigation. I’m not sure where to go from here. 

56 minutes ago, Leo1989 said:

I appreciate this and honestly the only thing I’m in fear of is the fact that I’ve been prescribed Xanax and it’s in my medical record that I have anxiety through my private medical doctor. Considering it’s a mental health med would that even show up on a mental health check? It’s through a private clinic and like i said I was never evaluated at any mental institution or hospital. 

I feel the police are really having you volunteer information that they cannot lookup and would rather have you tell them so they can do their own investigation. I’m not sure where to go from here. 

What you think doesn't matter.  What we collectively think doesn't matter.  People DIE, and their family members go on "Happy Pills" so depression doesn't set-in.  Happens thousands of times a day in all 50 states.  So what makes YOU so special that you're rushing to give up your own rights?  Get a grip man!  Were you taken to a mental institution against your will?  NO!  Did you go & commit yourself voluntarily?  NO!  So STOP RIGHT THERE & stop overthinking this.  No commitment means NO loony condition to report.  Happy Pills are prescribed for divorces, death in the family, loss of job, loss of house, and a crap-ton of other reasons.  NONE of these folks have to answer "yes" on that form, so why can't YOU take a simple "NO" for an answer & a highly educated one at that??  FWIW a FFL already chimed-in with that big "NO" directly above this post^^^.

• Like 1

Thank you so much seriously! Honestly I over analyze things to the point where I’m like you know what I’d rather not and be on the safe side but we have a 2nd amendment right! Just the way they word it makes it seem like I’m obligated to give up my own privacy and issues so they can determine whether or not I’m fit to own any firearms. Never ever have I told any doctor I was suicidal or needed to be confined to a mental institution. Ugh just the worries which kills me. I might as well just submit my application. 

IANAL.  However I did recently post my full advice re q26 in another recent thread. When i find it, i will direct you to it.

With that said, your were treated for heart palpitations, not a mental or psychiatric condition. Hence you can truthfully answer NO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, oldguysrule649 said:

IANAL.  However I did recently post my full advice re q26 in another recent thread. When i find it, i will direct you to it.

With that said, your were treated for heart palpitations, not a mental or psychiatric condition. Hence you can truthfully answer NO.

If I recall correctly it was a very well-written piece!  Someone ought to pin it for us in a prominent place.

Good night gentlemen.  Tomorrow is another day :)