Xchief30

Which new SC Justice will help with our gun laws ??

Out of the list, I think any of them would help the cause. As Mossburger said, the problem is getting them to hear the case. That said, it takes 4 judges to issue a writ of certiorari. With Kennedy gone, the number gets closer to solidly in our favor. I know Thomas and Roberts have expressed frustration that 2A cases arent heard enough. Im assuming Gorsuch would be apart of that group, so a pro-2A appointee could certainly open up some possibilities. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, shooter28 said:

Out of the list, I think any of them would help the cause. As Mossburger said, the problem is getting them to hear the case. That said, it takes 4 judges to issue a writ of certiorari. With Kennedy gone, the number gets closer to solidly in our favor. I know Thomas and Roberts have expressed frustration that 2A cases arent heard enough. Im assuming Gorsuch would be apart of that group, so a pro-2A appointee could certainly open up some possibilities. 

Well, if "Roberts" is saying that, then it's a very good thing! :good: I would think that with Kennedy retiring, Roberts would then become the "swing" vote....  He is has been a tad flaky on some things....

4 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Well, if "Roberts" is saying that, then it's a very good thing! :good: I would think that with Kennedy retiring, Roberts would then become the "swing" vote....  He is has been a tad flaky on some things....

I think it was Roberts. I cant find the article right now but I know Thomas was involved. i thought 2 justices were mentioned and Roberts would have been the only other one that would make sense

I'm actually hoping Hardiman gets in . He once wrote this about NJ "in Hardiman’s 40-page dissent, he said that self-defense happens inside and outside the home. He wrote, in part: “New Jersey has decided that fewer handguns legally carried in public means less crime. It is obvious that the justifiable need requirement functions as a rationing system designed to limit the number of handguns carried in New Jersey.”

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shooter28 said:

I think it was Roberts. I cant find the article right now but I know Thomas was involved. i thought 2 justices were mentioned and Roberts would have been the only other one that would make sense

Mmm... I think you may be thinking of the Peruta vs. San Diego case? The justices that dissented were Thomas (who dissented quite strongly) and Gorsuch dissented also.

https://www.heritage.org/courts/commentary/dissent-justices-thomas-and-gorsuch-defend-the-second-amendment

13 hours ago, Bob2222 said:

Which new SC Justice will help with our gun laws ??

The ones that replace Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Stephen Breyer and Sonia Sotomayor.

Well, Sotomayor won't be going anywhere, for quite a while, so lets focus on "Notrious RBG" and "Breyer."  Maybe even Roberts, to eliminate the "Swing Vote" problem.

14 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

Well, Sotomayor won't be going anywhere, for quite a while, so lets focus on "Notrious RBG" and "Breyer."  Maybe even Roberts, to eliminate the "Swing Vote" problem.

Sotomayor is a diabetic, which not in and of itself unusual among the fat, aging US population. However, she has required emergency calls to 911 on occasion, and that part is a little unusual.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/paramedics-treat-sotomayor-at-her-home-and-clear-her-to-go-to-work/2018/01/19/697ddf76-fd4a-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.html?utm_term=.a8f714ee30ce

She's probably not "as fit as a fiddle". More "as fit as a Hillary Clinton". As a diabetic, it could be difficult for her to purchase disability insurance because of her higher risk.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bob2222 said:

Sotomayor is a diabetic, which not in and of itself unusual among the fat, aging US population. However, she has required emergency calls to 911 on occasion, and that part is a little unusual.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/courts_law/paramedics-treat-sotomayor-at-her-home-and-clear-her-to-go-to-work/2018/01/19/697ddf76-fd4a-11e7-ad8c-ecbb62019393_story.html?utm_term=.a8f714ee30ce

She's probably not "as fit as a fiddle". More "as fit as a Hillary Clinton". As a diabetic, it could be difficult for her to purchase disability insurance because of her higher risk.

So, Sotomayor is a "Type I" (insulin dependent)?  Then she does have her work cut out for her.  If she were a Type II, then it's possible she can beat that with exercise & weight control.   She just has to ensure she stays "on schedule" with her meds and her diet.

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

Man, the left is going bananas over this.  Beteeen RBG (aka the Cript Keeper) sleeping on the job and the Boriqua needing 911 Trump could get 2 more.

we cant be that lucky!

im hoping after Trumps 2nd appointment, RBG drops out & then we get a 3rd.  seeing the left freak will be music to my ears!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CageFighter said:

we cant be that lucky!

im hoping after Trumps 2nd appointment, RBG drops out & then we get a 3rd.  seeing the left freak will be music to my ears!

"Freak out".........there's going to be riots like it's 1968 again if a liberal justice goes and Trump gets to pick their replacement - except this time it will be entitled guilt feeling white kids rioting instead of blacks.

On 7/2/2018 at 4:41 PM, Xchief30 said:

I'm actually hoping Hardiman gets in . He once wrote this about NJ "in Hardiman’s 40-page dissent, he said that self-defense happens inside and outside the home. He wrote, in part: “New Jersey has decided that fewer handguns legally carried in public means less crime. It is obvious that the justifiable need requirement functions as a rationing system designed to limit the number of handguns carried in New Jersey.”

Hardiman was next in line behind Gorsuch so he could be the top pick now.

He has a friend in high places: Trumps sister supports him and sat with him on the 3rd circuit.

One can only hope for now.

22 minutes ago, Zeke said:

What do you think of Barret?

Barrett's 2A views are pretty much unknown.  She hasn't been involved in any 2A cases.  She passed her confirmation hearings with even the Democrats voting for her.  It would be suicide for any nominee to say anything but, "My personal feelings have nothing to do with my decisions.  My decisions are based on the case I'm hearing, the law, and the COTUS.

Barrett's good points IMO:

1.  No one can complain she doesn't understand women's issues.

2.  She is a devout Catholic.  They touched on this during her prior confirmation hearing IIRC.  The Democrats aren't that stupid they would try to attack a nominee's religion to disqualify her.

3.  She's a little bit younger (46) which should give her at least 30 years on SCOTUS.  This can be good or this can be bad.

It's sometimes hard to determine how someone would be once they get to SCOTUS.  Sandra Day O'Connor was appointed by Reagan.  Her track record showed her to be rather conservative. When she got to SCOTUS she became a swing vote on many issues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GRIZ said:

Barrett's 2A views are pretty much unknown.  She hasn't been involved in any 2A cases.  She passed her confirmation hearings with even the Democrats voting for her.  It would be suicide for any nominee to say anything but, "My personal feelings have nothing to do with my decisions.  My decisions are based on the case I'm hearing, the law, and the COTUS.

Barrett's good points IMO:

1.  No one can complain she doesn't understand women's issues.

2.  She is a devout Catholic.  They touched on this during her prior confirmation hearing IIRC.  The Democrats aren't that stupid they would try to attack a nominee's religion to disqualify her.

3.  She's a little bit younger (46) which should give her at least 30 years on SCOTUS.  This can be good or this can be bad.

It's sometimes hard to determine how someone would be once they get to SCOTUS.  Sandra Day O'Connor was appointed by Reagan.  Her track record showed her to be rather conservative. When she got to SCOTUS she became a swing vote on many issues.

Apparently she one of 3 now

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

What do you think of Barret?

Yes, if anyone's wondering... according to a (leaky?) anonymous source his top 3 picks are: 

Amy Coney Barrett, Brett Kavanaugh and Raymond Kethledge

Trump's probably not past pulling a last-minute surprise either - just for the sake of "drama" and TV ratings. Who the heck knows?

Honestly, I think it's great they've been able to keep him focused on a vetted list. :facepalm: At least no one can fault these people for their pedigrees - they're all tops in their field - some might disagree with their ideology, but they can't be called "intellectual lightweights" by any means.

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Yes, if anyone's wondering... according to a (leaky?) anonymous source his top 3 picks are: 

Amy Coney Barrett, Brett Kavanaugh and Raymond Kethledge

Trump's probably not past pulling a last-minute surprise either - just for the sake of "drama" and TV ratings. Who the heck knows?

Honestly, I think it's great they've been able to keep him focused on a vetted list. :facepalm: At least no one can fault these people for their pedigrees - they're all tops in their field - some might disagree with their ideology, but they can't be called "intellectual lightweights" by any means.

It’s interesting the right is looking at 2a ( at least we are) the left is laser focused on roe.