1LtCAP

i'm guessing it's time

for a new computer. the one i'm working on here at home is about 9 years old. windoze vista, which i've never had problems with. it ran the only game i do flawlessle(aces high combat sim). it was fast, and reliable, very rarely ever got virus's.

now? i'll be surfing, and the screen just goes black. when it does this, there's a horizontal line that flashes across. turning off the power supply is the only way to get the computer back. it's totally random, and i've scanned for and found no virus's.

although it's a bit pricey, i'm looking at a 3.7ghz gaming computer to replace this. only problem is windoze10. my only experience with 10 is on moms laptop.....and i honestly think that the guy that came up with 10 needs to be slapped around a bit.

• Intel Core i7+ 8700K Processor 3.7GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB GDDR5X
  • 16GB DDR4-3200 RAM
  • 2TB HDD+480GB SSD
  • Microsoft Windows 10 Pro
  • ASUS 24x DVDRW Drive
  • Multi-in-One Memory Card Reader
  • 10/100/1000 Network
  • 802.11ac Wireless
  • Bluetooth 4.2
  • Display Not Included

computer is a powerful gaming machine featuring the Intel Core i7-8700K unlocked processor cooled with a CoolerMaster EVO 212 cooler mounted on an Asrock Z370 K6 Gaming System Board. For gameplay domination it includes an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 TI Video Card with 11GB of GDDRX memory and 16GB of High Performance DDR4 3200 RAM. The Windows 10 Professional Operating System is loaded on a 480GB SSD with a 2TB Storage Drive to provide an incredible experience playing the most demanding games in the market today!

while it's pricey(as mentioned) i figure that if this one(which was pricey for the time i bought it), i figure i should get many many years of fun out of it.

Re: current issue with black screen - I've had issues similar to that with a few different video cards, never quite narrowed it down further - but I often suspected video card memory or gpu itself.  If you have a separate video card, look up a program called CPUID HWMonitor - it may be able to tell you if your GPU is overheating, or give you another clue to the current issue.  I've seen a computer so clogged with dust that the system would lock up on viewing a youtube video because of the extra 'strain' of viewing the video...

As for specs on the new PC, seems good, though 1080Ti may be overkill unless you're doing 4k gaming or playing brand new releases constantly at all settings maxed with 16xAA and all that.  I do game at 4k on a 970 without issues in many titles at max settings (excluding AA), though I do not play the newest AAA games.  (i7 4790K, 32GB, GTX970, 256SSD/1TB/2TB/etc, Win7)  I'd say you'd get a lot more life outta going for a 1060 or 1070 now and replacing it in 4 years- though all video card pricing these days is pure insanity.  I am disappointed that newer CPUs are only supported on Win10, so my next upgrade will force me to go to 10 too...

Be aware that certain games, especially disks with DRM may not work properly or may take a hell of a lot of effort to install on newer OSes.  Or you may need no CD cracks, which could be a virus...

yaknow? it might just be a video card issue. this machine's got an asus en9800gtx(which i'm told is a re-labeled geforce?) anyway......it seems to most often happen when i'm doing anything that's video/picture intensive. last night, i was cruising flebay lookin' at boss302's and gt500's........and the described problem happened 3 times within 20 minutes. it also did it within 5 minutes of me making this post.......

i don't play any games other than the mentioned aces high. but.....even before this problem, i can't run all the graphics on high without stuttering, and lagging bad. i don't think i warped any, but i was down in the 30's for framerate.

i haven't flown it in awhile, but when i did, i used to help write scenarios for the FSO(friday night squad ops) arena. we base our scenarios off of actual events of ww2. one that i enjoyed the most was operation cerberus.

anyway.....they lose quite a bit when you have to turn down the graphics......

After the Geforce 9xxx series, there have been at least 7 or 8 generations of cards, so even a 1050 or 1030 would likely be such a massive improvement you would be amazed. That said, a 1060 is about on par with a 970 overall, with slight edges in certain things on one or the other. I skipped from a 9600? to a 250 to a 750 to a 970 and performance gains from each jump were significant. I don't know if your game has a recent engine or not, but if you can get 30fps now, unless you are running really low resolution/low settings, a 1080 sounds like such extreme overkill to me. The $200-400 saved by going 1060 or 1070 can go to a new card in 4 or 5 years to give you a boost then, if you need it.

As I am not familiar with the game, I cannot say for certain anything specific about it, but make sure you check it will run on win10. I would hate for you to buy this nice setup only to be unable to actually run it. I am going to build a retro gaming PC for exactly this reason, there are games which will not run on 7 due to DRM.

For now, i would open the pc when it is off and power disconnected, and verify that all fans including video card spin freely by hand. Make sure there is no layer of caked on dust insulating the heatsinks from airflow. If there is, use compressed air (not a vacuum!) to clear it. If a fan is bad, usually easy enough to replace. GPU fans do seem to go "early" in my experience. Or if you are otherwise happy with the system, maybe look on ebay for a cheap used card - check wikipedia for geforce generations and look up the specific models. Keep in mind vista no longer gets most updates, including browser updates for chrome and firefox, so it is more vulnerable, however. That said, it is possible another component is causing your issue, second place I would guess is system RAM.

The 1080ti is a LOT of video card if you aren't into gaming a lot at 4k. If you don't have a 4k monitor, it's a LOT of added cost for no current benefit to you and that is if you play current games. 

You would likely be well served by a decent 1050ti rig or a 1060. 

A 480-512GB fast m.2 boot drive is something you will notice. 16GB of ram will be nice, but you might not notice it over 8GB if you aren't using memory intensive apps, virtual machines, or the linux on windows subsytem in 10. 

10 is pretty solid in terms of how it runs. Just opt out of the telemetry stuff as much as possible. 

On 7/5/2018 at 3:20 PM, raz-0 said:

The 1080ti is a LOT of video card if you aren't into gaming a lot at 4k. If you don't have a 4k monitor, it's a LOT of added cost for no current benefit to you and that is if you play current games. 

You would likely be well served by a decent 1050ti rig or a 1060. 

A 480-512GB fast m.2 boot drive is something you will notice. 16GB of ram will be nice, but you might not notice it over 8GB if you aren't using memory intensive apps, virtual machines, or the linux on windows subsytem in 10. 

10 is pretty solid in terms of how it runs. Just opt out of the telemetry stuff as much as possible. 

the only game i play is aces high. it's an online air combat sim(ww2). when i first got this machine, i could run all graphics, shadowing, etc to the max. now? i've got everything turned almost all the way down. and even now, i can't get it to run more than a couple minutes at a time with the random black screen crap.

that's actually gotten much worse tonight. i thought it might be the power supply, so i tried scavanging one outta an old rig......wouldn't work. i gotta get all my important shit off of this machine, and get a new rig asap.

i was looking at rigs at micro center. anyone got any better suggestions?

I play the aaa titles, for those a single 1080ti is not enough to maintain 100fps at 4K.  I run a 1440p gsync monitor and can maintain the 100fps with all ultra options. The motion blur at 60fps  is terrible, I can never go back. Agreed if you aren’t running the latest titles, a 1070 would be fine.  Win10 is a solid platform for gaming, never had any issues. I do run a dedicated 256gb m.2 drive for it, a 1tb ssd for the main games, and a 2tb hd for storage and additional space. 

For buying new, I went cyberpowerpc.  Pick one of their daily specials then customize it to get all name brand components. I built several this way and couldn’t even buy just the parts for cheaper.   

17 minutes ago, SW9racer said:

I play the aaa titles, for those a single 1080ti is not enough to maintain 100fps at 4K.  I run a 1440p gsync monitor and can maintain the 100fps with all ultra options. The motion blur at 60fps  is terrible, I can never go back.

mSoYCDX.png

i get that the eye can't see past a certain number....but when the system is reporting 30fps, shit's stuttering all over the place. yet, when it's reporting 50+fps, stuff's smooth. last time i had it that smooth, i got jumped by 3 me109's over the channel. i splashed 2 of em, and the third egressed with a pretty heavy oil leak. :)

and i did that with a spitfire mk1. i couldn't catch #3 or i'd have ran his ass down and finished him off too

You are thinking of old time movies at 24fps. The average human is around 50fps, which means over 50% of the population needs faster than that.  Other studies say the average is around 75fps. Air Force fighter pilots have been tested at over 200fps. Your brain can process faster than your eyes, and your eye is not synchronized to your monitor refresh rate.  When you look outside you are glimpsing at a fluid motion source. If your pc is not running above 100fps, you are not creating a fluid motion source for your eyes, increasing brain activity to try to sync the images, causing headache and eye strain. 

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

i get that the eye can't see past a certain number....but when the system is reporting 30fps, shit's stuttering all over the place. yet, when it's reporting 50+fps, stuff's smooth. last time i had it that smooth, i got jumped by 3 me109's over the channel. i splashed 2 of em, and the third egressed with a pretty heavy oil leak. :)

and i did that with a spitfire mk1. i couldn't catch #3 or i'd have ran his ass down and finished him off too

1 hour ago, SW9racer said:

You are thinking of old time movies at 24fps. The average human is around 50fps, which means over 50% of the population needs faster than that.  Other studies say the average is around 75fps. Air Force fighter pilots have been tested at over 200fps. Your brain can process faster than your eyes, and your eye is not synchronized to your monitor refresh rate.  When you look outside you are glimpsing at a fluid motion source. If your pc is not running above 100fps, you are not creating a fluid motion source for your eyes, increasing brain activity to try to sync the images, causing headache and eye strain. 

I was being completely facetious.  I'm running games at 1080p, highest settings - 60-120+ FPS @ 144Hz.  Love how clear it is.

24fps thing is a Console Peasant thing.

PC Master Race!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

Honestly if you aren't pushing the envelope, going radeon for the video card and spending the money on an IPS freesync enabled monitor might really please you. The RX vega 56 is roughly equivalent to the 1070. Unfortunately prices are still jacked by bitcoin miners. 

6 minutes ago, raz-0 said:

Honestly if you aren't pushing the envelope, going radeon for the video card and spending the money on an IPS freesync enabled monitor might really please you. The RX vega 56 is roughly equivalent to the 1070. Unfortunately prices are still jacked by bitcoin miners. 

I went with a RX580 8GB and I have 2x AMD Freesync 144Hz 1080p monitors.  It does the job.

ok. anyone know where(as in brick n mortor) i can buy a decent rig? i was going through micro center. closest one to me is in st. davids square just off of 476. that's a 40 minute drive for me. knowing this, i called before going, to verify that my company check would/could be accepted. i drove fucking 45 minutes on the fucking schukill to have them spend 20 minutes then tell me that their service couldn't verify my account, and therefor could not take my check. i'd found a couple nice rigs i liked there.......and was considering going back with cash.....but.......i really don't know if i want to give my business to a computer store that can't even do a simple check verification. if i'd have liked the first rig, i'd have bought the next shop computers from them too.....but they may well have killed that possibility.

Just now, JohnnyB said:

I buy all the PCs for my company as well as my personal rigs from Micro center in St Davids. They have the best prices and I get to walk around and look at all the cool stuff they sell!:)

problem is they've pissed me off with the check thing...and a phone call didn't help anything.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

problem is they've pissed me off with the check thing...and a phone call didn't help anything.

I understand! It's almost the same drive for me. Don't punish them by paying more for the same rig elsewhere though....You will only be hurting yourself in the long run!

One of my brother inlaws recommended this place.  He buys A LOT of stuff from them.  He told me, "Buy with confidence from them".  So I did.  Purchased a refurbished Dell and a new monitor from them last December.  No problems at all so far.

Good luck.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/deals.asp?CampaignID=3331

7 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

One of my brother inlaws recommended this place.  He buys A LOT of stuff from them.  He told me, "Buy with confidence from them".  So I did.  Purchased a refurbished Dell and a new monitor from them last December.  No problems at all so far.

Good luck.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/deals.asp?CampaignID=3331

They used to be bigger - like NewEgg... but now they've gone into more of a drop ship type site...  Still good deals and reliable CS.

1 hour ago, 1LtCAP said:

seeing some pretty nice cyberpowerpc rigs at best buy.......

well they haven't exactly earned my business, now have they? making me drive that distance only to embarrass me by not taking my check.......

You do better directly from the cyberpowerpc website. You can mod the machine with name brand parts as well. 

So how much is the mega machine you are looking at and where are you getting it?  A complete machine or components to build?  I ask as my machine may be toast and I am looking for something new to do photo processing on that needs power.