siderman

Family Wagon Train to FL starting

Looks like its finalized for my kids. Next few months should see both my adult kids relocated down there, my wife and i still about 1 1/2 -2 yrs away yet. She got pulled out of retirement (after 3 yrs!) with an offer she couldnt refuse :). We've been staying up here for my mom but soon even that wont keep me here in this shit state. Looks like the New Port Richey area for starters as thats where most of my wifes family is located. My wife told me I have to promise to come back up if I help with the moves lol. told her as long as my collection of firearms is still here nothing to worry about, if they're gone, well.....

• Like 3

Congrats!

I have family in Florida, I have friends in Florida, I have friends who are moving to Florida and friends who are working on it(looking for a place).

If I could be so bold as to make a suggestion...

All of them did numerous scouting trips and found ideal places for them.  All of them also wrote off essentially the eastern part of the state along the coast, specially down towards Miami. 

The Keys are turning into something they haven't been.   Largo is lost, Islamorada is next.   Marathon and west are still ok.

Fort Myers is too expensive.  Pine Island though is still pretty good.

If you're going to be around Disney, celebration is the way to go.  The rest of Orlando is frankly just busting at the seams with growth.

If you want a bargain, you need to go north of Tampa, up around Homosassa.    Some great areas up that way and there's still a healthy gun culture.

My Mom and sister live in the Villages.  It's great if you want a retirement community.  It's like going back in time.  Manicured lawns, entertainment in the square at night and all the doctors you could ever need.

Another friend is looking up in the Panhandle...not bad outside of the cities but some of the places are very remote.  Good and bad, depending on if you like that kind of thing.  I'd like to live about 20 miles outside of Wasilla AK, so nothing in Florida is remote enough for me!

Enjoy when you finally get there.

I've probably got NC in my future unless something bad happens, in which case I'm off to the great white north to become grizzly food.

6 hours ago, fishnut said:

Congratulations! 

Florida might sink with everyone fleeing NJ

If it’s the type of people on this forum, with few exceptions, Florida may float again. Strict 2a only please come.  

• Like 4

Moved to St. John's County (Jacksonville area - NOT Jacksonville) just over two weeks ago and am loving it.  I have found that things are not as cheap as you might think, but that is OK.  We are renting right now, but homes we have been looking at have NJ type price tags and taxes that while half or less than what we were paying in NJ are still not the $1,000 a year that some people talk about.  But then again the $500k-$600K homes here would have cost about $1.2mm in my town in NJ and would have had $40K taxes rather than $8k.  Gas is cheaper, and you get to pump it yourself and there is no extra charge for credit cards.  Wine and beer are cheaper, but fruits and veggies are 60%-100% more money.  They do nail you on that first year of car registration, spent $1,000 registering two cars and getting two new driver's licences.  Homeowners insurance is about double too.  But no income taxes.  Oh and my internet bill is just the nice round number they quoted me, no service fees, franchise fees or even sales tax added on.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, gfl216 said:

This can't be real. This has to edited video............right?

not to worry, the population has been redistributed across the island to balance it out. Plans have also been implemented to accomodate any off loading of ships and planes to help minimize wobbling of the island.

• Like 1

As stated the wagon train is on the move....just back from FL this AM (5 hr delay out of Tampa) helping my daughter settle in to her new digs. Talk about a whirlwind weekend! Her hiring was confirmed Fri 5 Pm for a school job start on Monday- the 2 days ago Monday lol. Spent a hectic Fri eve & Sat packing what we could in her car, then flew her down Sun AM. Fortunatly we have family  where she could stay till she got her own place. I got in her car Sun AM and drove it down arriving Mon lunchtime. Took the alt rt -78/81/77/26/95......I was too scared to take 95 all the way on a Summer weekend, been screwed too many times for that. Especially after looking at google traffic maps on Sat- 95 was one big traffic jamb from the Del Bridge to Richmond ! Fuk that! Besides the alt rt timed out only an hr longer all things being equal.  Nice ride except coming down into Charlotte where there is miles of road construction but wasnt a big issue on a late Sun afternoon. That same spot killed us two yrs ago. Anyway... my daughter cant believe the culture dif, not the people but gun stuff. Not that she's a big gun gal but gets the 2A as it should be. First day on the job the public address announces that their school guard was the best shot in her class,,,,massive clapping and cheering lol! And she said there isnt that hushed awkward silence all the time about politics and such. So I got there Mon early aft, met her at 4:00 unloaded car, went to scout a local very nice apt complex at 4:15....4:45 signed som app pprwrk on a open unit (she was approved next day moves in Sat) and what a deal by NJ standards. Very modern clean 2bdr/2 bath unit in a gated comm unity for $1049 a month! And also my son is down there scouting but he'll be back to make some decisions no rush for him yet. 

• Like 2

Wow, you are right that is fast.  I can't believe she picked a place to live in only 30 minutes.  We have been down here 7 weeks and have probably looked at over 60 homes, some three and four times.  The homes we are looking at are all NJ priced, or higher as well.  What I find very strange are the rents here.  While $1049 for a 2bd/2ba sound good, the place we are renting right now proportionately is even cheaper.  For exactly double that number we have a 4 bed 3ba home with LR/DR/kitch with large eatin area by kitchen and another large family room and a good sized (for here) property with fenced yard and covered inground pool and three car garage with a driveway that you can park 9 cars.  Not sure why rentals are so cheap. We are in St Johns county which is the highest income county with the best schools of all 67 counties.  It also is growing like crazy, I heard they are building something like 70,000 new homes in the next five years.  Some of the developments are totally crazy, like two miles by three miles of just brown fields that they have stripped clean and are planting houses.  Don't know how anyone could buy a home in these places not knowing what might be next to them or near them.  We are concentrating on some older areas circa 2003-2005 that actually have 1/2 to 1 acres lots and mature trees.  The new developments like Nocatee are crazy.  You get a 4,000 sqft home on a lot that is about 5,000 sqft.  I told one sales woman that her home would be a problem for me if I gained weight.  She gave me an odd look till I explained I would have a hard time fitting between the edge of the house and the edge of the property - and I am far from fat.  Why anyone would pay top dollar to live like that is beyond me.  Reminds me of some inner city homes where you reach out your kitchen window to the kitchen window nextdoor to borrow a cup of sugar.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Howard said:

Wow, you are right that is fast.  I can't believe she picked a place to live in only 30 minutes.  We have been down here 7 weeks and have probably looked at over 60 homes, some three and four times.  The homes we are looking at are all NJ priced, or higher as well.  What I find very strange are the rents here.  While $1049 for a 2bd/2ba sound good, the place we are renting right now proportionately is even cheaper.  For exactly double that number we have a 4 bed 3ba home with LR/DR/kitch with large eatin area by kitchen and another large family room and a good sized (for here) property with fenced yard and covered inground pool and three car garage with a driveway that you can park 9 cars.  Not sure why rentals are so cheap. We are in St Johns county which is the highest income county with the best schools of all 67 counties.  It also is growing like crazy, I heard they are building something like 70,000 new homes in the next five years.  Some of the developments are totally crazy, like two miles by three miles of just brown fields that they have stripped clean and are planting houses.  Don't know how anyone could buy a home in these places not knowing what might be next to them or near them.  We are concentrating on some older areas circa 2003-2005 that actually have 1/2 to 1 acres lots and mature trees.  The new developments like Nocatee are crazy.  You get a 4,000 sqft home on a lot that is about 5,000 sqft.  I told one sales woman that her home would be a problem for me if I gained weight.  She gave me an odd look till I explained I would have a hard time fitting between the edge of the house and the edge of the property - and I am far from fat.  Why anyone would pay top dollar to live like that is beyond me.  Reminds me of some inner city homes where you reach out your kitchen window to the kitchen window nextdoor to borrow a cup of sugar.

Picking the place was easy, across the street from her aunt, 10 mins from grandparents and 8 mins from work. Aunt knows the place well and approved and I did apt/condo maint/renovations for a few yrs and knew what to look for and ask. Up here by me an older dated tiny 1 bdr apt goes for $1200-1300. Hers even has a washer/dryer room complete.and a screen room to top it off. A good start but just a rental for a yr and can move or stay in the near future. Her very serious boyfriend is working on joining her soon so expenses will be 1/2.  BTW i was told by several people theres a rumor that Bill Gates will be doing some MAJOR investing & development in the Tampa area in a few yrs  which may cause local real estate to escalate a bit.

1 hour ago, siderman said:

As stated the wagon train is on the move....just back from FL this AM (5 hr delay out of Tampa) helping my daughter settle in to her new digs. Talk about a whirlwind weekend! Her hiring was confirmed Fri 5 Pm for a school job start on Monday- the 2 days ago Monday lol. Spent a hectic Fri eve & Sat packing what we could in her car, then flew her down Sun AM. Fortunatly we have family  where she could stay till she got her own place. I got in her car Sun AM and drove it down arriving Mon lunchtime. Took the alt rt -78/81/77/26/95......I was too scared to take 95 all the way on a Summer weekend, been screwed too many times for that. Especially after looking at google traffic maps on Sat- 95 was one big traffic jamb from the Del Bridge to Richmond ! Fuk that! Besides the alt rt timed out only an hr longer all things being equal.  Nice ride except coming down into Charlotte where there is miles of road construction but wasnt a big issue on a late Sun afternoon. That same spot killed us two yrs ago. Anyway... my daughter cant believe the culture dif, not the people but gun stuff. Not that she's a big gun gal but gets the 2A as it should be. First day on the job the public address announces that their school guard was the best shot in her class,,,,massive clapping and cheering lol! And she said there isnt that hushed awkward silence all the time about politics and such. So I got there Mon early aft, met her at 4:00 unloaded car, went to scout a local very nice apt complex at 4:15....4:45 signed som app pprwrk on a open unit (she was approved next day moves in Sat) and what a deal by NJ standards. Very modern clean 2bdr/2 bath unit in a gated comm unity for $1049 a month! And also my son is down there scouting but he'll be back to make some decisions no rush for him yet. 

Glad to see forward progress, here. I live in the same county as New Port Richey.  You'lll like it! :D

You have to look in the actual Florida developments, and not the transplant geared ones. I went for a brand new ranch in an established area, on 1/3 acre, 2300sqft, backs up to wooded wetlands preserve, minutes to drive on the beach.  I wanted new construction, with only palm trees as I never want to rake another leaf.  Cost well under 300k

I just bought a lot the other day in a spot I really like.  I'm building a 3 floor coastal on Egan's preserve across the street from the beach.  It'll be 14-18 months before it's done.  It should be pretty nice and I'm building it with an elevator for the inevitable time when I'm to old for stairs.  

I'm trying to get my daughter and fiancee to take my other house if they can get work in the area.  Free house is one way to movitvate them to move closer.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Howard said:

At that rate of development, it will be like NJ in no time. Sounds scary to me. 

19 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

The section of the town I live in that's off island is looking like suburban NJ where I can from.  Lot's of development--you drive down A1A on the mainland and it looks like Route 46 in Fairfield, lot's of stores and traffic.  

On 8/8/2018 at 2:05 PM, diamondd817 said:

That is why I am buying an older home (2003), which is old for here that is in a mature area with almost no available land and no new construction - but safely out of Duval County in St. Johns.