gleninjersey

Dog Training - Methods, How You Did It, Etc

3 minutes ago, gleninjersey said:

We only tapered for a day or two.  That plus stress maybe? I hope so.  So far He's been really good. 

Wife got him a Kong feeder toy today.  The one you fill with food and they play with it / figure out how to get the food out.  She says he played with it for at least half an hour.

Drastic problems expose themselves or indicate with lethargy..  don’t jump gun

hmmmn, I can spewl big werds? Thanks I phone

• Like 1

FYI - We changed his dog food about a week and a half to two weeks ago.  No more diarrhea!  I think what we were giving him was too high in protean?

I've also been working on getting him to heel and walk behind me.  He's made huge improvements and while not 100% he is doing light years better than a few weeks ago.

This video actually helped quite a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8cPkTh7Y3k

On 7/6/2018 at 0:45 AM, gleninjersey said:

I've had family dogs growing up as a child to young adult.  My father mostly trained the first two.  German Sheperd and second was large muttt (Black Lab, Huskie, Retriever and German Sheperd mix)  The last one was a neurotic terrier mix and was never really trained properly.  

Have just gotten my own rescue dog. One to one and a half year old Poodle Schnauzer mix. My wife never had pets growing up.  A lot has changed since my family had dogs.  Looking for opinions and methods on how to train a family dog.

Little background.  We've only had him for four days now.  I realize he's been through A LOT.  He was found roaming around and kept by a woman for I don't know how long.  She gave him up to Animal Control.  The rescue foster thinks it was probably an older woman who couldn't handle the needs of a young dog.  The pound had him after that for about 3-4 weeks.  Spayed, shots, etc.  Then a rescue group took him (Rawhide Rescue in Warren) took him in and fostered him for one and a half week.  Now he's with us.

I know training shouldn't be foremost concern right now  That would be forming good bonds with him and my family and making him comfortable.  A little training here and there but not an emphasis on it.  He seems to have attached himself to me.  Probably because I'm the one walking him, spending most time with him and doing light training with him.

He's already house broken.  He's woke me in morning telling me, "Hey mister, unless you want a hot, steaming pile of dog poo on your carpet we better get outside soon!" He also somewhat knows sit.  

We are walking him 5-6 times a day right now (because I'm off work). His worst habits are jumping up on you, play biting and pulling hard and constantly while on his walks.  Other than that he's pretty well behaved.

I like watching and learning through YouTube videos.  I woupd like to train him myself.  I've watched a few different dog trainers and seem to like Insideout Dog Training.  They don't use treats to train and have videos specifically on rescue dogs.  

I know there are severral dog owners here.  Looking for some input.  So how did you train your dog? What method did you use (treats, no treats, dominace training, etc) Would you consider them well behaved / trained.  How long did it take?  If you used a trainer did you like them? 

Are you looking for best IoT service provider? Grus.io provide IoT solutions for all Web, App, and hardware projects with 100% client satisfaction globally. The headquarter is located in Shenzhen and there are 4 offices international .  https://grus.io/

9 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

I've also been working on getting him to heel and walk behind me.  He's made huge improvements and while not 100% he is doing light years better than a few weeks ago.

This video actually helped quite a bit:

That method works really good. I've seen a lot of trainers use that similar method. It's good news that he adapted to the food and is coming along with the training.

What I've seen is that most people just don't put the time and effort into that walking training, and never get the dog to stop pulling. It's the investment of time and consistency, no matter how long it takes, to get the dog to the next level. Most people won't invest the effort, be the Alpha, and end up having a "problem child" for years on.

• Like 2