MartyZ

Issues with hexmag

Ok, so I just got my 10 round hexmags for both my AR15s and my AR10. Now before I always used 15rnd cut down PMAGs from midwest PX. I have never had any trouble with th PMAGS, ever. The hex mags though, first of all, one of the AR10 mags accepted 12 rounds, I called Sentry and they exchanged it, no problem. I have not tried the hexmags out on the range yet but dry fitting them, with and without snap caps, I noticed that the AR15 mags don't drop like the PMAGs do, they need to be pulled out. And the AR10 mags just plane get stuck, they are hard to put in and hard to pull out (let the puns commence).

Anyone else have similar issues?

This has been a problem with pmags long ago as well. Put them in and out several times to get them to show rub marks. Break out some fine sand paper and start sanding till they work. Any gun that has a tight tolerance, like some high end ones do, this happens. Not always, but sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, bhunted said:

This has been a problem with pmags long ago as well. 

Point of order: This isn’t a problem with Pmags. It’s a problem with out-of-spec lowers.

Pmags were designed for a US Mil-spec magwell. A lot of companies do not follow the mil-spec in the interest of cost cutting or adding “features” like dropping weight or flaring a magwell.

Yes, Magpul did have to develop the EMag to fit Non US Mil Spec rifles like the HK 416, the AUG, and L1A1 SA80, But that’s not what we are talking about as the magwells are not sized to the US mil-spec.

One of my Stag lowers has the same issue. However, my Colt, BCM, MM, Defensive Edge, and LMT lowers do not - even with the same mags that drag on the Stag.

Spend the money in your initial purchase and buy a lower that has a magwell that is in spec and Pmags, Lancer mags, HexMags, and GI mags will drop free.

21 minutes ago, bhunted said:

Put them in and out several times to get them to show rub marks. Break out some fine sand paper and start sanding till they work.

Barring replacing your lower with one that is in-spec, @bhunted’s advice is spot on, as is @PK90’s.

Either fit the cheaper part do drop free, or use GI aluminum mags. Finding reduced capacity Emags is another option, but I don’t think that would be cost effective.

1 hour ago, High Exposure said:

Point of order: This isn’t a problem with Pmags. It’s a problem with out-of-spec lowers.

Pmags were designed for a US Mil-spec magwell. A lot of companies do not follow the mil-spec in the interest of cost cutting or adding “features” like dropping weight or flaring a magwell.

Yes, Magpul did have to develop the EMag to fit Non US Mil Spec rifles like the HK 416, the AUG, and L1A1 SA80, But that’s not what we are talking about as the magwells are not sized to the US mil-spec.

One of my Stag lowers has the same issue. However, my Colt, BCM, MM, Defensive Edge, and LMT lowers do not - even with the same mags that drag on the Stag.

Spend the money in your initial purchase and buy a lower that has a magwell that is in spec and Pmags, Lancer mags, HexMags, and GI mags will drop free.

Barring replacing your lower with one that is in-spec, @bhunted’s advice is spot on, as is @PK90’s.

Either fit the cheaper part do drop free, or use GI aluminum mags. Finding reduced capacity Emags is another option, but I don’t think that would be cost effective.

AR15 lowers are stag and spikes, AR10 lower is Aero, all drop PMAGS with no issue. I will try sanding down the hexmags.

How about a simple fix with a quick spray of silicone into the lower and on the mag?

Won’t help. Been there done that.

Right.

My response was more towards the general statement that Pmags specifically had a problem when it was really the lowers.

As to Hexmags, I am not a fan for precisely these reasons. Their QC seems to vary quite a bit.

Not as bad anymore. New company owns them. Getting better. If it weren’t for the dumb laws, I would have stuck with pmags. Instead, we have to pay roughly an extra 50% for surgery on a pmag. Oh well.

I tried to work closely with the orig owner to fix problems. I give them a lot of credit for diving into it. Nobody took the bull by the horns to supply the publc with another option at fair prices. No butchering to get them down to 10 or 15... Comp on the market is always a good thing. Most of it was mould problems. They worked hard to correct them. Huge thumbs up for trying to get a niche in a hard to please market. [emoji16][emoji1303]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk