TokenEntry

How many guns in your CCW rotation do you have?

As per the title, how many guns are part of your CCW rotation? For those that carry on a frequent basis, I'd like to know your insight on the following . . .

*What caliber are these guns in your rotation?

*Do you feel compromised using a specific gun because of the attire you're wearing?

*Do you switch between IWB and OWB carry?

Regards,

TokenEntry

I have a few;  when i am in the Familly room i like to use my Beretta Nano in 9MM.

for the kitchen i go with my taurus model 85 in 38spl. 

now the dinning room things are different - i go full on 1911 in 45ACP.  

up in the bedroom i usually go with my PPQ or MR9 (both in 9mm).  

and when i leave the house i carry my...  oh wait...

sorry couldnt resist!

actually when i am in florida i do carry a Beretta nano in 9 in an alien gear IWB holster.   Simple rig that is very comfy. 

cheers!

• Like 11

15 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

This is NEW JERSEY gun forums, right??

Yes, I should have been more specific for those that are in LE or travel outside of NJ frequently. I have my out of state FL carry, but have yet to make use of it.

Regards,

TokenEntry

I carry a PPQ 9mm IWB with a Glock 43 and a Cobra Derringer Big Bore .38 Special as back up guns. I never wear shorts. I also have a tactical pen, tactical knife,tactical money clip and a cool tactical watch. :ninja:

I carry my p365 in vest while on patrol. My 2 carries off duty are p365 and Glock 19. I randomly grab whatever I feel like carrying for the day. Depends on what I’m wearing too. Shorts n T-shirt “p365” if I’m wearing pants or what not I’ll go with my p365.

You may get two different types of answers here. One is from leo, who are trained to run into a situation in which case they go with a higher capacity ccw. The other is the prepared citizen who will avoid the confrontation and only draw to protect oneself and family, until the professionals can arrive. 

In FL, I mostly go with a Ruger LCP2 (in 380).  Fits in every pocket, reliable, lightweight, easy to take everywhere.  I did try a G43 (9mm) in a pocket holster, but even in cargo shorts it’s a bit heavy and bangs around a lot.  I then tried the inexpensive kydex at about the 2:30 and 3:30 positions with various cants, but it’s not comfortable at all. I have a crossbreed iwb coming soon, that I also will try at the 2:30 position.  If that is comfy, I may go G43 more often than the LCP2.  I would not go owb, as I would be self conscious about bending or reaching for stuff in a store and have it exposed. 

55 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

M&P Shield or Beretta Nano 9mm, 5:00 carry IWB w/ an Aliengear holster.  

I could not get used to 5:00 position with the kydex, it’s a mental thing as I feel the pistol is not in my field of view and hence control. Maybe with the better double clip holster I will try it again. 

It all depends on where I’m going, what I’m planning on doing, what I’m wearing, and what I can conceal.

On duty - Glock 22 @ 3:00 in a Safariland ALS holster with Glock 27 as a BUG on my Left ankle.

Off duty - bunch of different stuff. Usually it’s some flavor of Glock. Most often a G23, although sometimes a G35, a G19 with RMR, or a G27. Occasionally I’ll carry a Kahr PM9. Very rarely a Ruger LCP or recently a 1911 if I am feeling nostalgic.

Primary gun - I Usually I carry a Glock IWB at 4:00. Occasionally I will AIWB the Kahr or a G23/27. Every so often I will front pocket carry the Kahr or Ruger and very rarely I’ll carry my Kahr on my ankle.

I usually carry a BUG as well. Most often a G27 or Kahr PM9 on my ankle, although occasionally my Ruger LCP or J frame will fall into a pocket.

If I have a gun, I always have a knife (lately an Emerson folding karambit) a small flashlight (FourSevens Quark at 700 lumens), some kind of restraint/handcuff (either TuffTies or Cobra Cuffs) and I always carry spare ammo for the primary gun - one 15 round Glock mag, two 7 round Kahr mags, two 6 round LCP mags, two 10 round 1911 mags as appropriate. I’m a big fan of the Neomag for the spare.

5 hours ago, SW9racer said:

I could not get used to 5:00 position with the kydex, it’s a mental thing as I feel the pistol is not in my field of view and hence control. Maybe with the better double clip holster I will try it again. 

Yes - The aliengear is a hybrid double clip.  I can feel it there solidly and it doesn't dig into my dad bod gut like as if I was appendix carrying.

Hiking.....s&w model 19 4 inch in 357 iwb with FMJ rounds at 3oclock with two additional speed loaders in my pocket

Out and about...... s&w model 19 357 snub nickel bobbed hammer DAO with hollow points two additional reloads IWB at 3 to 4 o'clock

Or, HP, 1911, 4516, even a bobbed 38spc airweight in my pocket only.

I rarely carry OWB....  except when at home doing yard work and then it's an m&p in 45acp with ball ammo...not the best choice against bear but it is what it is.  I also like the firearm under my arm I feel it helps me conceal it better...ymmv.  

All my holsters are generally cross breed manufacture.....  comfy and solid carry even for the heavy 1911 and 4516.  Alien gear while cheaper is a knock off of the original cross breed as I recall. 

You will need clothes one size larger.....I am nominally a 34 waist at 59 175....  I am most comfy with a 35 waist in shorts or jeans while carrying.  I like a Hanks belt ......

I also always carry some sort of edged steel.  To echo @High Exposure a karambit is a devastating weapon when applied as designed...even if you are not trained application is kinda instinctive, it afforded deep and I mean deep lacerations to sever tendons and muscle with minimal effort, especially when used at the joints.  The issue is that it has to my opinion, no other practical use other than as an offensive defensive weapon.... for utility I like a mini ruuku.

Lastly if I am out and want to imbibe, gun stays home but I will have the karambit, metal based pen like a hinderer etc.... 

Hiking.....s&w model 19 4 inch in 357 iwb with FMJ rounds at 3oclock with two additional speed loaders in my pocket

Out and about...... s&w model 19 357 snub nickel bobbed hammer DAO with hollow points two additional reloads IWB at 3 to 4 o'clock

Or, HP, 1911, 4516, even a bobbed 38spc airweight in my pocket only.

I rarely carry OWB....  except when at home doing yard work and then it's an m&p in 45acp with ball ammo...not the best choice against bear but it is what it is.  I also like the firearm under my arm I feel it helps me conceal it better...ymmv.  

All my holsters are generally cross breed manufacture.....  comfy and solid carry even for the heavy 1911 and 4516.  Alien gear while cheaper is a knock off of the original cross breed as I recall. 

You will need clothes one size larger.....I am nominally a 34 waist at 59 175....  I am most comfy with a 35 waist in shorts or jeans while carrying.  I like a Hanks belt ......

I also always carry some sort of edged steel.  To echo @High Exposure a karambit is a devastating weapon when applied as designed...even if you are not trained application is kinda instinctive, it afforded deep and I mean deep lacerations to sever tendons and muscle with minimal effort, especially when used at the joints.  The issue is that it has to my opinion, no other practical use other than as an offensive defensive weapon.... for utility I like a mini ruuku.

Lastly if I am out and want to imbibe, gun stays home but I will have the karambit, metal based pen like a hinderer etc.... 

Oh...and to add you will be paranoid people are looking at you....it will seem wierd to exercise your rights in this manner.  It will become second nature....just be smart about it.

And all the gear aside.....  get your mind right,  the odds are you will not, but you may someday need to draw that weapon for self defense...are you prepared to do that both mentally and physically.  And confident enough in your firearm and handling of it that you can put rounds on target as needed.  Also do not disregard simplistic administrative handling OF said firearm either.... no ND's.... that normally happen during admin handling.

I'm going to wait for Sig to work out some of the issues with the 365 and then grab one.  I have a hard time not carrying my 340PD scandium J frame, trijicon sight, clip, boot grip and a speed strip for reload.  

• Like 1

I have IWB holsters for all of my handguns so far, but the SC state police is still processing my permit (only sent in the application a few weeks ago and they have 90 days by law), so I haven't made good use of them yet. Once approved, my main carry will be my new M&P Shield 2.0 in 9mm with an extra mag. That thing virtually disappears under a t-shirt. I will likely carry my VP9 or P320 once in a while during the cooler months, or in my backpack while hiking as a backup. Of course, I should probably pick up something with a bit more punch as my hiking backup. A 4" .357 sounds like a winner, but I could get a conversion kit for the P320 in .357 Sig or .40 S&W. Decisions, decisions.

Edit: Oh what am I thinking? I can buy a handgun at will now and my last NICS took less than 5 minutes (and won't need to do a NICS once I have my CWP). Screw the conversion kit! :D

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 7:52 AM, SW9racer said:

You may get two different types of answers here. One is from leo, who are trained to run into a situation in which case they go with a higher capacity ccw. The other is the prepared citizen who will avoid the confrontation and only draw to protect oneself and family, until the professionals can arrive. 

I understand what you're saying, but I feel that your logic is flawed.  Just because a prepared citizen may shoot less rounds than an off duty LEO doesn't mean they should carry less.  Typical consensus is to carry the largest gun that you can comfortably and effectively conceal (and obviously can shoot well).  Just because I'm not likely to be the aggressor in a situation doesn't mean I don't want the most effective gun if I need to use it.

That being said, since typical apparel on Guam was shorts and a t-shirt, I normally carried a 9mm Shield with a TLR-6, and a spare mag.  When I get to NH and I'm wearing a bit more clothing, I will likely move to something a little bigger.  Once my household goods arrive, I'll probably start looking for a holster to carry my P320 Compact.

I carry everyday, everywhere I go. Normally carry a Ruger LC9 in my front pocket, spare mag in left front pocket. Some days I'll carry my S&W Shield .45, which I prefer, but it and its spare mag are a lot heavier than the Ruger and it's bigger, making it a little harder to draw from some of my shorts pockets.

Hey H.E., I saw that Neomag the other day, looked interesting. I've tried another pocket clip mag carrier but the mag was very visible. Does this conceal better? Thanks.

G43 IWB.  If not on me it is in the center console next to me.  Have a couple of extra mags in the console as well.  Gonna feel very naked when I come north for Thanksgiving.

• Like 2

I carry a Springfield Armory 9 mm mod. 2 subcompact in an IWB holster (usually at 4:00, but occasionally appendix carry) whenever I have the opportunity.  I have thought about carrying either my Glock 19 or 26, but have never actually done so.  I like the grip safety on the SA, because I feel that if I get some clothing or anything else in the trigger guard while I am re-holstering, I will be less like to have a negligent discharge. 

8 hours ago, alec.mc said:

For what ? Leaving my house with a concealed weapon and committing a felony and going to prison? No, I dont. 

You never travel out of state?