Sign in to follow this  
Pizza Bob

Kydex - It's Not Just for Holsters Anymore

I broke the thumb of my dominant hand on 6/8 playing pool. Yes, that's what I said: playing pool. I was breaking and hooked my thumb on my pocket, hyper-extending it and the ligament broke the bone. Had it surgically repaired on 6/18 (I'm now part titanium) and have been in various thumb-immobilizing devices ever since.

Yesterday I went to the therapist who will be rehabbing my thumb (starting 7/16) and he custom formed a splint made out of, you guessed it, Kydex. Held in place by two Velcro strips, which make it easier to remove for showering.

2aj8epv.jpg

I think I'll have about four weeks of therapy, once we commence, and will probably be back at the pool table long before they will allow me to shoot guns again. The therapist does take hobbies and pastimes into consideration and he was interested to learn of holsters made of the same material as he used for splints. My summer competition season is pretty well shot - if you'll forgive the pun. At least my senior pool league team finished first in the league, undefeated with a perfect 20-0 record. We play other senior centers around central NJ.

I may pop up at a match just to spectate, when I get to missing it too much - otherwise I should be back shooting in the fall.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

4 minutes ago, 1LtCAP said:

i thought you had to heat kydex to form it? how did he custom fit it? curious minds need to know

It doesn't take much heat to make it pliable. He used hot water and started molding it by hand until he deemed it cool enough to the touch to directly mold to my wrist/hand (it was warm!). It may not be Kydex per se, but a very close thermoset plastic relative - looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

1 minute ago, Pizza Bob said:

It doesn't take much heat to make it pliable. He used hot water and started molding it by hand until he deemed it cool enough to the touch to directly mold to my wrist/hand (it was warm!). It may not be Kydex per se, but a very close thermoset plastic relative - looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

I had a brace like that 25 yrs ago when I broke my wrist... after the cast was taken off.  They've had those low-temp thermoplastics for years!

On 7/13/2018 at 6:57 AM, gleninjersey said:

Sorry to hear about your injury. 

But rehab for a broken thumb? That just sounds weird.

You need to rehab for any joint injury if you want it to return to 100% functionality. As a shooter, that's rather important to me. The fragment of bone to which the ligament is attached need to be reattached using titanium inserts and screws. The thumb is a rather important digit, try living without it - not fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

21 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

You need to rehab for any joint injury if you want it to return to 100% functionality. As a shooter, that's rather important to me. The fragment of bone to which the ligament is attached need to be reattached using titanium inserts and screws. The thumb is a rather important digit, try living without it - not fun.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

Good luck with the rehab.  Hope you heal 110%!