Greenday

.22lr CCI Mini-Mag vs Remington Golden

34 posts in this topic

I normally use Mini-Mags on my 15-22. But on sale are Remington Golden for 525 rds @ $25. About half the price of CCI. Is there that huge a difference between the two?

 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remington Golden Bullet is cheap for a reason - it's dirty and inconsistent.  Mini mags are made at higher quality/qc standards.  They'll be slightly more accurate and a little bit cleaner burning.

I've noticed with Golden Bullets, sometimes the bullet itself will turn in the cartridge.  That may not be the case anymore with the "new and improved" Golden Bullets.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Greenday said:

 

I normally use Mini-Mags on my 15-22. But on sale are Remington Golden for 525 rds @ $25. About half the price of CCI. Is there that huge a difference between the two?

 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

You can get 5K minimags for about 300.00 shipped. That lowers a bit your cost/round.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-mini-mag-high-velocity-22-long-rifle-ammo-40-grain-copper-plated-round-nose-0030-p-892.aspx

Golden bullets are dirty and have the occasional FTF but not to the frequency that causes an issue. Just rotate the cartridge so the pin strikes an different area and you are good to go.

Minimags  and gold feed equally as well on my 10-22 and P22. As Krdshrk says the bullet is lose in the casing but that never causes an issue either.

I've shot thousands of each and only prefer the minimags because they are cleaner.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All 22LR ammo is dirty. Nature of the round.  Some are just disgusting, i.e. Remington "Thunder Turds (Thunderbolt)" as an example.  I know shooters that will not deviate from a certain round no matter what.  For me, if not shooting CCI Mini Mags, then I will use Federal Champion 525 Value Pack. I have not had respectable results with Winchester products, either.  Be it M-22s, triple number packs (222, 333, 555) or Wildcats.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have found that different guns like different ammo. My pistol does great with the Remington Golden (close to zero failures) but my rifle has issues. The Mini Mags work great in both but are more expensive.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WP22 said:

You can get 5K minimags for about 300.00 shipped. That lowers a bit your cost/round.

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/cci-mini-mag-high-velocity-22-long-rifle-ammo-40-grain-copper-plated-round-nose-0030-p-892.aspx

Golden bullets are dirty and have the occasional FTF but not to the frequency that causes an issue. Just rotate the cartridge so the pin strikes an different area and you are good to go.

Minimags  and gold feed equally as well on my 10-22 and P22. As Krdshrk says the bullet is lose in the casing but that never causes an issue either.

I've shot thousands of each and only prefer the minimags because they are cleaner.

Thanks for this. Looks like I'll be good on ammo for a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CCI Minimags are what are recommended by some manufacturers for break-in of their pistols.  (My Sig Mosquito being one of them).  They are a good middle-of-the-road round, and tend to be fairly consistent, reliable, and relatively clean, which is why I like them.  That said, .22s (and all rimfires) are picky.  A run of 10 consecutive serial numbered guns might like 10 different kinds of ammo.  It is more likely that a higher percentage of those 10 guns will do better with MiniMags than with Golden Bullets, but not guaranteed.

Golden Bullets are loaded to be cheap - they are perfect minute-of-can accuracy at up to ~50 yards, and that is all many people will ever ask. Many people shop only on price-per-round/brick, and the rounds are made to a price. If you shot for groups, the inconsistent powder loads and priming are going to seriously hinder you.  If all you do is turn money into noise, you'll just have to clean more often, and maybe use bigger targets (or more square inches of your smaller ones), but you also get to shoot for a lot longer for the same cost.  Strangely enough, my S&W 22A heavy barrel target pistol seems to really like GBs out to about 15 yards.

MiniMags will likely cycle any gun designed for supersonic ammo better than almost any other round, will have reasonable accuracy, and won't foul up actions quite as quickly as GBs and other cheap bulk stuff (thunderbolts are IMO the dirtiest of the dirty cheap rounds).  My experience with a few thousand minimags has been that they are one of the most reliable rimfire rounds out there - I cannot recall minimags not going bang other than because of an actual gun issue. That higher level of quality control generally also means better accuracy.  If you want to start shooting for accuracy, Minimags are a decent starting point (though there are subsonic rounds which are better for that task, but may not cycle in a semi rifle).

There are .22 rounds out there that cost more than centerfire rounds per shot.  If you need absolute accuracy, expect to pay handsomely.  Look up Eley Tenex if you'd like to make any other .22 round suddenly feel inexpensive. If all you wanna do is put holes in paper at close to medium range and aren't too concerned with accuracy, GBs are perfectly adequate rounds.  If you want IMO the most reliable and good all-around rounds you can get for a .22, Minimags are the answer.  And whatever rounds you get, buy in bulk whenever possible.  Ammo doesn't really go bad if stored properly, and it also is not gonna really get much cheaper (Though if it does, there's your excuse to buy more.  There is no such thing as too much ammo.)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, T Bill said:

 I have not had respectable results with Winchester products, either.  Be it M-22s, triple number packs (222, 333, 555) or Wildcats.

I have noticed that few of my semi-auto guns really ever like Winchester rimfire ammo. It almost always ends up being more expensive than bulk food for a lever gun or bolt action, when the only reason I bought it was to cheaply feed the semi autos.

Gets really old when out of a 10 round mag, 4 winchester rounds won't fire the first time around, then you load up 10 minimags and 10 shots in a row fire off flawlessly. Even worse when the same thing happens with multiple guns. Which is why I have just stopped buying winchesters. I would rather just buy more golden bullets for my cheap ammo purchases - round may not go exactly where I want, but I have had pretty good luck with them usually going bang, and even if they don't, they were cheap and I expect a few below-average rounds.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, NJGF said:

I forgot to mention that my .22LR revolver shoots everything!

Ain't that something?

:D

And @Greenday since you seem to be newish to the gun game, let me offer this piece of unsolicited advice; everytime there's a school mass shooting panic driven shortages and price increases set in.

We are now at pre SandyHook price levels. It doesn't take a lot work to find brass 9MM for about 17c/round. Federal even had a rebate program sometime ago that lowered the cost to 13c/14c. That same ammo was 28c/30c in early 2013 if you could find any and that was the biggest issue. Between the hoarders and resellers camping outside the walmart before opening time, there was no ammo to be had.

The market, now, is awash with ammo. It's time to stack it deep and wide. Get a few surplus ammo cans and fill them up to the brim. It's will last years.

Don't be caught short. 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remington Golden Bullets are the worst 22LR round I have ever used.  They do spin in the case.  I have had problems using these in semi-auto pistols.  I normally use 40gr  22LR for semi-autos.  36gr is hit or miss with my 22's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, WP22 said:

Ain't that something?

:D

And @Greenday since you seem to be newish to the gun game, let me offer this piece of unsolicited advice; everytime there's a school mass shooting panic driven shortages and price increases set in.

We are now at pre SandyHook price levels. It doesn't take a lot work to find brass 9MM for about 17c/round. Federal even had a rebate program sometime ago that lowered the cost to 13c/14c. That same ammo was 28c/30c in early 2013 if you could find any and that was the biggest issue. Between the hoarders and resellers camping outside the walmart before opening time, there was no ammo to be had.

The market, now, is awash with ammo. It's time to stack it deep and wide. Get a few surplus ammo cans and fill them up to the brim. It's will last years.

Don't be caught short. 

That I have noticed. Also when Democrats get elected gun sales spike for the short term. Found some good sales so I stocked up yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remington GB 36gr hp also has the most velocity and energy out of all of the bulk 22lr ammo, including CCI Mini Mag. Which of course makes it most suitable for semi auto actions. And yes, the head of the bullet spins, that's how they were designed, and that never caused me any problems. GB is also the factory recommended ammo for use in Advantage Arms 22lr conversion kits, because of it's excellent performance. 

I understand that when GB first came out it was less than stellar and left a bad taste in people's mouth, but the new and improved GB is leaps and bounds ahead. Try it, you'll see. Again, I use it exclusively for 22lr shooting and buy it in bulk. 

Also to note, there is a 40 gr golden Bullet and a 36 gr hp golden bullet. I am talking about the 36 gr hp GB.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bklynracer said:

Yep, put in for an order of 5000 the other day. Still waiting for them to ship it out.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2018 at 0:50 PM, Greenday said:

 

I normally use Mini-Mags on my 15-22. But on sale are Remington Golden for 525 rds @ $25. About half the price of CCI. Is there that huge a difference between the two?

 

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

 

 

 

Yeah mini mags are the way to go. Plus now that Trump  is in office they're cheap and plentiful. None of the Obama era hoarding :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jesus, do they always take so long? I could have driven up to their location in CT by now a bunch of times. Placed the order Wednesday, they created a shipping label noon Thursday...and nothing since.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Greenday said:

Jesus, do they always take so long? I could have driven up to their location in CT by now a bunch of times. Placed the order Wednesday, they created a shipping label noon Thursday...and nothing since.

DUE TO A HIGH VOLUME OF INCOMING ORDERS,PLEASE NOTE THAT IT CAN TAKE UP TO 2-3 BUSINESS DAYS BEFORE THE ORDER LEAVES OUR WAREHOUSE.

The logistics end of our company is currently in the process of moving to a new, state of the art facility. As a result, we are experiencing delays in shipping. Our apologies! We appreciate your patience and understanding. If you should have any questions or concerns, please send an email to our Customer Care team at sales@targetsportsusa.com. We are also reachable by phone Monday-Friday from 9am to 5pm EST.

We are working as hard as we can to get all orders out as soon as possible. Thank you for your patience and support

     

Visit us at TargetSportsUSA.com

24A Robert Porter Rd 
Southington,CT 06489 
(M-F 9-5pm EST)
-860-426-9886 
sales@targetsportsusa.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Greenday said:

Jesus, do they always take so long? I could have driven up to their location in CT by now a bunch of times. Placed the order Wednesday, they created a shipping label noon Thursday...and nothing since.

Anxious much?! See? Now you're really getting hooked. LOL!

Once your case is delivered, similar to what WP22 was advising, I would say just get into the habit of making regular, periodic bulk orders... first ordering more frequently to build up to a baseline amount (to suit to your own taste/budget), and then ordering as needed throughout the year to replenish what you're using up. By placing regular, bulk orders (and shopping around for best price each time), you'll always be getting a fairly low price-per-round and you'll usually be able to avoid shipping costs too. And, my dear, you'll never need to feel anxious again... because you'll always have a decent amount of your fav ammo in stock! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazon prime is ruining us... 

remember” allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery “?

Or the middle of the catalog had the pre addressed envelope ( you put a stamp on it) for a check?

 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Zeke said:

Amazon prime is ruining us... 

remember” allow 6 to 8 weeks for delivery “?

Or the middle of the catalog had the pre addressed envelope ( you put a stamp on it) for a check?

 

Yeah, but y'all have to remember greenday is a younger man. He never knew life before cell phones and the Internet. His expectations are a lot different than ours.

But, yes @Greenday waiting a week or so for ammo to be shipped is not all that unusual. Once it gets on the truck, you'll get in a couple of days.

Now, be a god boy and do as ms peel told you -you should always listen to a woman wearing leather as a general principle- and buy more, a lot more.

 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now