Are Thompson semi auto's NJ legal?  I always thought they were cool but that I'd never be able to get one as an NJ resident (since they have a flash suppressor on the end); but I'm seeing some older threads that say these are NJ legal (at least the 1927 A1 model) and even some online vendors selling it as "NJ legal".  what's the story with these?

Yes NJ legal. Not a flash supressor it is a compensator and M1 didn't have one only A1 did. No bayonet lug or grenade launcher. No adjustable stock. Only "evil" feature is pistol grip. Magazines must be pinned to 15 rounds. Unless buying new one now then 10 rounds. Both stick and drum can be modified.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes they are legal and they do make a drum mag that only holds 10 rounds. I have a M1 model that I would consider selling if you are interested. The M1 can not accept a drum mag.

No wonder I always see them with a stick magazine. Learned something new. How much are you looking for if OP isn't interested? Obviously I would expect him to have first dibs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the clarification and offers guys.

@capt14k

Thanks for the dibs but it's all yours.  I'm not currently in the market for one but will be eventually.  I was just curious because I've looked into them in the past but thought they were no-nos in NJ, then I came across talk about it in the forums.