AlDente67

Dashcams again - Purchase options

13 posts in this topic

Noe seriously thinking of adding one.  I know it has been discussed in the past, but what would you suggest lately for a budget unit with night vision?  I see a wide price disparity on Amazon upon a cursory look...40 and on up.  Something unobtrusive, as some of them resemble an iPhone propped up on the dash.  Not very sleek, those.

Or if anyone is upgrading and looking to sell an older one....

I've been running a DOD tech LS370W for 2 years now, and its pretty damn good. It sits in front of my rearview and I cant really see it from the drive seat. Look for something that has the updated sony sensors. Most dash cams are separated in their night vision/recording clarity.  A decent dash cam will run you upwards of $200

8 hours ago, Krdshrk said:

I've got a Vantrue N2 Pro.  Not the cheapest but definitely one of the best in terms of features and quality.  Dual 1080p cameras - front and back.  

How difficult was the install?  

56 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

How difficult was the install?  

Nothing to it.  Suction cup mount on the windshield.... I'm not hiding the power cable or stealthing it along the window - it's just wrapped around my rearview so there's no tension, then just dangling.

You don't need a wiring kit, any 12 volt operated cam can have the "lighter adapter" cut off and spliced into a 12 volt source either in the fuse box or behind the dash... just pick something that turns off when the car is off.

That adapter allows you to draw power from your battery when the car is parked and prevents it from killing the battery. 

Shit that's right, I hadn't thought of that.  My aux fuse box will always be able to draw power.  Gonna have to figure out a different way to wire it.

Thanks though Nick.  That's exactly what I was looking for.

On 7/12/2018 at 0:31 PM, JackDaWack said:

I've been running a DOD tech LS370W for 2 years now, and its pretty damn good. It sits in front of my rearview and I cant really see it from the drive seat. Look for something that has the updated sony sensors. Most dash cams are separated in their night vision/recording clarity.  A decent dash cam will run you upwards of $200

i've been running a dod for about 2 years now......but mine's in the process of crapping a brick. it had been randomly stopping recording for about a week.....now this morning, it won't record at all. says sd card is full, even though it's set to loop. i'm gonna try a new sd card first, to see if thats been making all the stuff happen.....but i fear i'm gonna be shopping for a new cam

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've been running a dod for about 2 years now......but mine's in the process of crapping a brick. it had been randomly stopping recording for about a week.....now this morning, it won't record at all. says sd card is full, even though it's set to loop. i'm gonna try a new sd card first, to see if thats been making all the stuff happen.....but i fear i'm gonna be shopping for a new cam

Format that SD card.  Pop it into a computer and format it.

1 person likes this