AlDente67

Dashcams again - Purchase options

Noe seriously thinking of adding one.  I know it has been discussed in the past, but what would you suggest lately for a budget unit with night vision?  I see a wide price disparity on Amazon upon a cursory look...40 and on up.  Something unobtrusive, as some of them resemble an iPhone propped up on the dash.  Not very sleek, those.

Or if anyone is upgrading and looking to sell an older one....

I've been running a DOD tech LS370W for 2 years now, and its pretty damn good. It sits in front of my rearview and I cant really see it from the drive seat. Look for something that has the updated sony sensors. Most dash cams are separated in their night vision/recording clarity.  A decent dash cam will run you upwards of $200

56 minutes ago, NJSigfan said:

How difficult was the install?  

Nothing to it.  Suction cup mount on the windshield.... I'm not hiding the power cable or stealthing it along the window - it's just wrapped around my rearview so there's no tension, then just dangling.

You don't need a wiring kit, any 12 volt operated cam can have the "lighter adapter" cut off and spliced into a 12 volt source either in the fuse box or behind the dash... just pick something that turns off when the car is off.

That adapter allows you to draw power from your battery when the car is parked and prevents it from killing the battery. 

Shit that's right, I hadn't thought of that.  My aux fuse box will always be able to draw power.  Gonna have to figure out a different way to wire it.

Thanks though Nick.  That's exactly what I was looking for.

On 7/12/2018 at 0:31 PM, JackDaWack said:

I've been running a DOD tech LS370W for 2 years now, and its pretty damn good. It sits in front of my rearview and I cant really see it from the drive seat. Look for something that has the updated sony sensors. Most dash cams are separated in their night vision/recording clarity.  A decent dash cam will run you upwards of $200

i've been running a dod for about 2 years now......but mine's in the process of crapping a brick. it had been randomly stopping recording for about a week.....now this morning, it won't record at all. says sd card is full, even though it's set to loop. i'm gonna try a new sd card first, to see if thats been making all the stuff happen.....but i fear i'm gonna be shopping for a new cam

2 hours ago, 1LtCAP said:

i've been running a dod for about 2 years now......but mine's in the process of crapping a brick. it had been randomly stopping recording for about a week.....now this morning, it won't record at all. says sd card is full, even though it's set to loop. i'm gonna try a new sd card first, to see if thats been making all the stuff happen.....but i fear i'm gonna be shopping for a new cam

Format that SD card.  Pop it into a computer and format it.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 8:27 AM, 1LtCAP said:

So i think i figured out what your issue might have been. I just ran into it. 

There is a save feature when the g-sensor is activated, which prevents the recording from being overwritten... it takes a while for them to fill up your card but they will eventually. I turned the feature off on mine because if you get into an accident there is a button you can press that will do the same thing for the current recording. 

5 hours ago, JackDaWack said:

So i think i figured out what your issue might have been. I just ran into it. 

There is a save feature when the g-sensor is activated, which prevents the recording from being overwritten... it takes a while for them to fill up your card but they will eventually. I turned the feature off on mine because if you get into an accident there is a button you can press that will do the same thing for the current recording. 

33 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Yeah - you don't manage your memory card?  Mine does the same thing too - I swap and check on PC every couple weeks or so.

i'll have to look in to doing both of these...…...mine's mounted in an expedition with lt tires so the ride's not the smoothest in the world......

Got this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M592J9C/ref=emc_b_5_t for about $45 at Amazon when it was on sale a few weeks ago.  Works great, very small unit with great video quality.  Don't have the GPS unit for it but might buy one when I see it on sale, costs about $20.

On 7/16/2018 at 8:27 AM, 1LtCAP said:

Or replace the card. They can only take so many rewrite cycles, and only some of them are heavy duty cards meant for DVR use. 

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Endurance-128GB-Micro-Adapter/dp/B07B984HJ5/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1536955034&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+micro+sd+card+for+video

not to bump this again.......i've tried a new card, after my cam failed again to read the one i've been using. i reformatted again, then tried a new one. the camera doesn't see it. it says "insert sd card" when i hit the menu button it clears that message, but doesn't record. if i hit the record button, it says "memory error".

so......what other brands are you guys using? i'm only asking 'cause i don't have much time to go back through this whole thread. i gotta buy a new one for me, and i wanna put one in moms car too. was almost thinking of a dual cam that'll record forward and rearward.

7 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

Sandisk Class 10 UHS-1 64GB.  Did you reformat the card via the dash cam or via a computer?  If you format it on the computer make sure you use FAT32, but your best bet is generally to format from the camera.

i couldn't find an option in the cam menu to reformat. did it in the computer

I think I need one of these but I need something like my wife’s car has that beeps and then beeps like crazy when you are about to back into something. I have a bad habit of backing into cars. Hers is built into the vehicle and when put in reverse pops up in the rear view mirror. Not sure if hers records but recording would be nice to have. What suggestions are there for such a device.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/12/2018 at 10:06 PM, vjf915 said:

Does anyone know of a dash cam that you can hard wire in?  I have an auxiliary fuse box that I installed.

Yes, the Viofro A119s great camera, great nighttime recording. I just sold an extra that I had. Support sucks though.

• Like 1

I've got a Vantrue N2 Pro.  Not the cheapest but definitely one of the best in terms of features and quality.  Dual 1080p cameras - front and back.  

That looks big and clunky. It can’t record rear correctly just cabin? I want something mounted by license plate I supposed that is camera and sensor. Then I would want something for forward and interior that would pick up both windows on side without having to rotate it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

That looks big and clunky. It can’t record rear correctly just cabin? I want something mounted by license plate I supposed that is camera and sensor. Then I would want something for forward and interior that would pick up both windows on side without having to rotate it.

It's more for cabin view, not full rear view.  Great if you're an Uber driver.  I have mine set for 4K Front view.  You're not going to find anything that captures the side view unless you get 4 cameras.  For rear view you will need full front/rear camera setup.

It's more for cabin view, not full rear view.  Great if you're an Uber driver.  I have mine set for 4K Front view.  You're not going to find anything that captures the side view unless you get 4 cameras.  For rear view you will need full front/rear camera setup.
Ok so maybe my biggest issue first. A rear camera that beeps so I stop backing into things. Cost me $250 to buy my friend a new door that I totaled. Totaled my wife's brother's car. Both Hyundai Tin Cans. Hit my mother's car twice no damage because it is American Made Steel. People park in my K Turn area and I whip out and boom. I tell them not to park there but they don't listen. So I have to buy something.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk