Sign in to follow this  
mossburger

Gun Buyback Legality?

https://www.nj.com/essex/index.ssf/2018/07/your_dollars_can_be_used_to_buy_back_guns_in_this.html

Let's say someone really wanted to be a jackass. And this thing is in September. 

What's to stop a person or persons from hanging around outside the buyback, and offering more cash than the county is? 

Maybe a good way to pick some interesting antiques at a bargain? 

Inquiring minds would like to know. 

Also, in before "Nappen says buybacks are illegal" I know, I know, I'm referring to a person or persons hosting their own "buyback" nearby.

OP, that was my original game plan for the last one in Camden

The sheer number of uniformed LE and the lack of on-site parking for sellers made it an impossible proposition.

As to the legality of the 'buybacks' they are authorized by the AG, who in NJ is ALWAYS above the law. Enough said.

I thought about it too. It is perfectly legal as long as the law is followed. You have a FPID, COE gets filled out, it is a NJ legal long gun all equals good to go. There weren’t many Milsurps out of the last buyback so I am glad I didn’t waste my time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have until the end of the day on Sept 30 to use COE's to transfer long guns face-to-face without going through a NJ licensed dealer except for transfers between "immediate family members" as defined:

"For the purposes of this section, “immediate family” means a spouse, domestic partner as defined in section 3 of P.L.2003, c.246 (C.26:8A3), partner in a civil union couple as defined in section 2 of P.L.2006, c.103 (C.37:1-29), parent, stepparent, grandparent, sibling, stepsibling, child, stepchild, and grandchild, as related by blood or by law."

5 hours ago, njJoniGuy said:

We have until the end of the day on Sept 30 to use COE's to transfer long guns face-to-face without going through a NJ licensed dealer except for transfers between "immediate family members" as defined:

We have until Sept 30 to use COEs that are dated that the sale took place after that date.  COEs dated with a date that the sale took place prior would still be under the wire.  

"For the purposes of this section, “immediate family” means a spouse, domestic partner as defined in section 3 of P.L.2003, c.246 (C.26:8A3), partner in a civil union couple as defined in section 2 of P.L.2006, c.103 (C.37:1-29), parent, stepparent, grandparent, sibling, stepsibling, child, stepchild, and grandchild, as related by blood or by law."
You left out the best part about the FFL03

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk