gfl216

Brass Shot Shells

Down in the Outer Banks for the week and I was walking around an antique shop and came across these. Never saw brass shot shells before, pretty cool. I wonder how they were reloaded being that you can't crimp them to hold the shot and charge in the shell.

20180712_132740.jpg

20180712_132746.jpg

I love old vintage stuff. I found a nice video I think you'll find interesting. It shows how to reload the old brass shells. 

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=how+to+reload+brass+shotshells&docid=607996642311538228&mid=DF0269C79FBC32047DD1DF0269C79FBC32047DD1&view=detail&FORM=VIREHT

• Like 1

On 7/12/2018 at 6:40 PM, gfl216 said:

Down in the Outer Banks for the week and I was walking around an antique shop and came across these. Never saw brass shot shells before, pretty cool. I wonder how they were reloaded being that you can't crimp them to hold the shot and charge in the shell.

20180712_132740.jpg

20180712_132746.jpg

Nice find.  Seeing your post made me curious, so here's how to reload brass shotgun shells:

You can buy a box of 25 for about $20, so I might give it a try just for the fun of it;

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/25-rds-magtech-loadable-brass-shotshells-12-gauge?a=518023

7 hours ago, USRifle30Cal said:

Brass shotshells were the standard pretty soon into WW1.... paper hulls got swelled and wouldn't load.

If they were used in WW1 then they must cycle in a pump gun. I wonder if they would cycle in a semi auto?

9 hours ago, gfl216 said:

If they were used in WW1 then they must cycle in a pump gun. I wonder if they would cycle in a semi auto?

They do work in a pump gun.....

I haven't tested in a semi...I usually use them for BP LOADS in older doubles.

Do these qualify as *really* high brass shells then?

There was some recent "defensive" gimmick shell that used full brass shells and a segmented expanding slug which at least looked cool in PR pictures, despite not working any differently (or possibly worse) from regular slugs, yet costing 5 or 10x more. Was made by "oath ammo".