67gtonut

1st Annual NJGF Shoot @ RTSP - October 21st

3 hours ago, AVB-AMG said:

@Zeke:

When we were at the NJGF gun fair at RTSP, @GRIZ let me shoot the revolver(s) that he had brought, as well as your revolver that I shot.  I was not having much success being accurate shooting those revolvers and GRIZ graciously offered to help me with some basic instruction and guidance, sharing his knowledge and experience with me, to correct some basic problematic issues I was experiencing.

So we decided to meet at Seminary Ridge at the Gettysburg National Military Park in Gettysburg, PA, with GRIZ wearing gray and me wearing blue, and……..
(well, that would have been a good story……)

Actually, GRIZ generously invited me to join him at his club, the Central Jersey Rifle and Pistol Club (CJRPC) in Jackson, NJ.  I had never been there before and after his guided tour, I could quickly see what an impressive facility it is for shooting all types of civilian firearms, from handguns, rifles to shotguns, with both indoor and outdoor ranges, along with swimming pool, hot tub, sauna, steam room and well stocked bar, (Ok, maybe I will just have to take GRIZ’s word for those last amenities since I did not actually see them…..).  But seriously, from what I saw, it is probably is one of the nicest and most extensive gun ranges in the northeast U.S. and I really enjoyed experiencing it first hand as GRIZ’s guest.

IMHO, given the choice of shooting inside vs. outside, I much prefer outside.  Less noise reverberation and better ventilation being the primary reasons, but the fact that it was a beautiful, sunny, cloudless day with ambient air temperatures in the high 50’s to around 60 deg. F., made for ideal shooting conditions.  Also, going there during the week as opposed to the weekend allowed for much fewer people shooting around us.  In the outdoor pistol pits with earthen berm backdrops, we were able to shoot from a distance ranging from 15 ft to 25 ft away, hinged steel bowling pin silhouettes, paper targets, as well as culminating in the spectacular destruction of water-filled plastic jugs, (depending on the ammo used…..).

As you and many others already know, GRIZ is a wealth of information and experience regarding most things revolving around firearms, (pun intended….).  I really appreciated his willingness, openness and yes, patience, to share all of that with me, focusing on how to correctly and accurately shoot revolvers.  I also brought my Wilson Combat Tactical Supergrade 1911 (.45 ACP) for comparison and confidence building.  We spent almost the entire afternoon in that pistol pit, blabbing/BS’g about 70% of the time and his giving me invaluable revolver shooting tips for the remaining 30%.  I can now confidently report that I know how to properly grip a revolver, (different from my gripping my semi-automatic handguns).  I also have a much better idea of the recoil affects and feeling between .38 and 357 MAG ammo and what that may do to one’s accuracy. 

All in all, I learned much about revolvers and maybe more importantly and enjoyable, GRIZ and I learned more about each other.  I firmly believe that once most of us get out from behind the anonymity of faceless screen names, chatting online and meet up face-to-face, that it brings out the common enjoyment of civil human interaction.  Being willing and able to lower our online protective shields and refrain from snarky language centered around our political beliefs and concerns, to have very interesting conversations about our mutual or other interests and family backgrounds, is something that I really enjoyed.  It also fosters a more normal and gregarious bond between us, by by establishing a mutual respect for the person, something that is unfortunately missing in exclusively online exchanges.

So thank you again GRIZ for a most enjoyable, interesting, educational and enjoyable afternoon and subsequent toasts…..

AVB-AMG

(was that short enough for you ZEKE...?)

I think it was close to 90% BS and 10% shooting.  Wouldn't call it a lot of instruction just a bit of guidance.

A good point, I've made before, we went through about 200 rds in several hours at the range.  It's not the amount of lead you sling but what you do with it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

I think it was close to 90% BS and 10% shooting.  Wouldn't call it a lot of instruction just a bit of guidance.

A good point, I've made before, we went through about 200 rds in several hours at the range.  It's not the amount of lead you sling but what you do with it.

That’s what you hope she says 

• Like 2

@AVB-AMG

CJRPC is a great facility.  There are a lot of events there open to the public.  USPSA, various long gun events, etc.  So if you don’t mind the drive, there are some excuses to return.  The people running and participating in the various events there do a very good job welcoming new entrants and getting thrm up to speed on what they need to know.

The social shoot at RTSP was fun.  I think the talking vs shooting ratio may have been at about 50/50 for me.  Unfortunately you and I didn’t get to meet up and talk until the very end. 

The discussions get heated in the kitty litter box because they’re big issues and the insulation that exists online removes that personal element.   Nothing is getting resolved there anyway.  No minds are being changed there. It’s a venting forum for the most part.  But its good to learn we have a lot of things in common and enjoy getting together.  Plus getting to know each other in the real world may lower the temperature in the litter box and help us avoid needing hypertension meds.

Looking forward to the next event.    I’ll make it a point to find you earlier.  

Btw..... Are we changing this to the Bi-Annual NJGF shoot.....?  Waiting a year for the next one seems too long.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Kevin125 said:

@AVB-AMG

CJRPC is a great facility.  There are a lot of events there open to the public.  USPSA, various long gun events, etc.  So if you don’t mind the drive, there are some excuses to return.  The people running and participating in the various events there do a very good job welcoming new entrants and getting thrm up to speed on what they need to know.

The social shoot at RTSP was fun.  I think the talking vs shooting ratio may have been at about 50/50 for me.  Unfortunately you and I didn’t get to meet up and talk until the very end. 

The discussions get heated in the kitty litter box because they’re big issues and the insulation that exists online removes that personal element.   Nothing is getting resolved there anyway.  No minds are being changed there. It’s a venting forum for the most part.  But its good to learn we have a lot of things in common and enjoy getting together.  Plus getting to know each other in the real world may lower the temperature in the litter box and help us avoid needing hypertension meds.

Looking forward to the next event.    I’ll make it a point to find you earlier.  

Btw..... Are we changing this to the Bi-Annual NJGF shoot.....?  Waiting a year for the next one seems too long.

Main reason I did it.....  for the social aspect....

Gonna try and do something in the spring.... 

1 hour ago, Kevin125 said:

@AVB-AMG..... Are we changing this to the Bi-Annual NJGF shoot.....?  Waiting a year for the next one seems too long.

I actually enjoyed this so much that I thought I've already called a local range in my area to see if they'd be willing to allow us to do something similar there. The more the merrier right?

I have yet to hear back so I plan on calling tomorrow to speak with the event coordinator.

• Like 4