Sign in to follow this  
Jfoster99

Mec-Gar vs Beretta OEM

I am looking for 10 round Beretta 92Fs mags.

I can get OEM for about $30 or The Mec-Gar for $23.

How do the Mec-Gar compare to OEM mags?

Are there any other quality brand options I should consider?
(I do not consider Promag to be a quality option)

Also if someone can tell me why Steyr AUG 30 and 42 round mags are available for $30 and AUG 10 round mags are $45? It is not a recent gouging issue. They have been priced like that for years. I can’t think of another OEM mag that has pricing like that for the full vs reduced capacity mags. Pisses me off now that I have to purchase them....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Not 100% on Beretta, but MecGar is the manufacturer of many OE mags as it is.  You may be paying that extra few bucks for the brand stamp that was otherwise manufactured by the same machine.  The Sig MecGar mags I've got have been 100%, cannot imagine any different for Beretta.  And the one Promag I have for a GSG522 has been more reliable than the gun itself, strangely enough...

As for 10rd vs 30+, I imagine that there are far fewer customers for a second sku, and I suppose it is possible - though unlikely - that there is extra work or materials in the 10 round mags which would increase the cost (though I find it hard to believe by more than a couple bucks).  Perhaps it is because they know they have you by the balls if you are ordering 10 rounders...

Like mentioned above, they make mags for a lot of major gun manufacturers.  Only difference is the stamp.  Buy a MecGar mag by itself and they will just say MecGar where as the ones issued with a gun will have the gun manufacturer logo stamp on it. 

I have a Taurus 1911.  It came with MecGar mags and I bought a bunch of extra MecGar mags to have for shooting steel matches and USPSA.  I've put hundreds of rounds through it with the MecGar mags.  Mags fit perfect and have no problems with feeding.  I've never considered trying another brand.  The 1911 uses single stack mags so I have no experience with their double stack mags.  I've never heard of any complaints about the brand but YMMV.