Sign in to follow this  
reloaderguy

So a C&R Is Legal In NJ

I always thought you could not get one in NJ. Was at Easton today shooting with a guy who had an M1 carbine who lives in NJ and has renewed his C&R for the 4th time. Said anyone can get one in NJ. Even showed me a copy of his C&R FFL. Said ATF out of Newark came over his house and checked his books and said everything was good to go. 

Wait, what? I can get an M1 carbine? I've wanted one my whole life.  How much is C&R?

Not in NJ... you can have a C&R, the M1 Carbine is still an assault weapon under NJ law. C&R licensees must respect state/local laws.

Don’t know the situation of the OP’s shoot, but if the person in question brings an M1 Carbine into the state of NJ, they are breaking the law. If he got it with his C&R license, it would be uncovered by the ATF at the next inspection.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, reloaderguy said:

I always thought you could not get one in NJ. Was at Easton today shooting with a guy who had an M1 carbine who lives in NJ and has renewed his C&R for the 4th time. Said anyone can get one in NJ. Even showed me a copy of his C&R FFL. Said ATF out of Newark came over his house and checked his books and said everything was good to go. 

Before further speculation, how old was this guy?

29 minutes ago, Screwball said:

Not in NJ... you can have a C&R, the M1 Carbine is still an assault weapon under NJ law. C&R licensees must respect state/local laws.

Don’t know the situation of the OP’s shoot, but if the person in question brings an M1 Carbine into the state of NJ, they are breaking the law. If he got it with his C&R license, it would be uncovered by the ATF at the next inspection.

The ATF already went over his books. He has had it for years. Early 40'S build. He is on his 4th renewel of his C&R.

3 hours ago, capt14k said:

Yes legal and useful come October 1st

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He has had his NJ C&R on its 4th renewal. So October 1st has nothing to do with it.

• Like 1

The ATF already went over his books. He has had it for years. Early 40'S build. He is on his 4th renewel of his C&R.

Then it has to be a registered assault weapon (done in the early 1990s)... only way he could legally have it. Or he never put it in his book, which is illegal in itself. ATF tries to meet with licensees at the initial application, then every other renewal (per the ATF investigator I spoke with).

Sorry, but I just had an interview with the ATF the other day for my C&R. M1 Carbines are no-go in NJ, straight from her mouth. If you get your license tomorrow, you cannot legally get a M1 Carbine while in this state. No way around that, and I don’t need to be 62 to answer that. It is clearly written in NJ 2C:39-1 and 2C:39-5. Even if the M1 Carbine in question is a registered assault weapon, it can only be transferred out of state or surrendered... not to another NJ resident (even inheritance is a no, if I remember correctly).

9 minutes ago, reloaderguy said:

I believe 62.

He may have owned it before the NJ AWB and registered it in NJ.  I think there is or was a requirement to have C&R firearms you owned before you got your C&R FFL in your book.

One could register a M1 carbine, AR15, or M1A in NJ as long as you met the criteria and paid the fee.  Nothing illegal about taking it to the range if was registered in NJ.  There was less than 400 of these rifles registered IIRC.

He'd be wrong saying anyone can get a M1 Carbine in NJ.

He has had his NJ C&R on its 4th renewal. So October 1st has nothing to do with it.

October 1st is when FFL03 becomes useful in NJ. There are at least 100 guys who have their FFL03 but they are of little use in NJ currently. M1 Carbine can be owned if registered as assault weapon but can not be transferred in NJ to a NJ resident, even to his heirs upon his death. FFL03 and M1 Carbine have nothing to do with each other in NJ.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2018 at 1:59 PM, reloaderguy said:

I know I'm late to this discussion, but it bears mentioning that a C&R isn't AS useful in NJ as other states, because you can't legally have a firearm shipped to your house here. However, nothing precludes you from driving to another state (say PA or DE) and purchasing a C&R firearm from a dealer there, then bringing it back to NJ (provided it doesn't qualify as an assault weapon). This includes C&R handguns.

I know I'm late to this discussion, but it bears mentioning that a C&R isn't AS useful in NJ as other states, because you can't legally have a firearm shipped to your house here. However, nothing precludes you from driving to another state (say PA or DE) and purchasing a C&R firearm from a dealer there, then bringing it back to NJ (provided it doesn't qualify as an assault weapon). This includes C&R handguns.

With the new law I am not so sure about the no shipping part. Also it becomes very useful October 1 under the new law. While all non FFL03 are paying FFL01 for transfers of all firearms. FFL03s in NJ will still be able to play under the old/current rules in regards to C&R Firearms.

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

With the new law I am not so sure about the no shipping part. Also it becomes very useful October 1 under the new law. While all non FFL03 are paying FFL01 for transfers of all firearms. FFL03s in NJ will still be able to play under the old/current rules in regards to C&R Firearms.

The law insofar as no shipping to one's house is already on the books (too lazy to look up the exact statute, sorry). But that is the reason for the common assertion that a C&R license is useless in NJ. Most other states, you can buy a C&R firearm online and have it shipped to your house.

The law insofar as no shipping to one's house is already on the books (too lazy to look up the exact statute, sorry). But that is the reason for the common assertion that a C&R license is useless in NJ. Most other states, you can buy a C&R firearm online and have it shipped to your house.
You can look all night. You won't find it. There is no law. It was an interpretation regarding CMP.

1 hour ago, capt14k said:

You can look all night. You won't find it. There is no law. It was an interpretation regarding CMP.

Hmm. Interesting. 2C:58-2a(4) says this:

" (4) No rifle or shotgun, except antique rifles or shotguns, shall be delivered to any person unless such person possesses and exhibits a valid firearms purchaser identification card and furnishes the seller, on the form prescribed by the superintendent, a certification signed by him setting forth his name, permanent address, firearms purchaser identification card number and such other information as the superintendent may by rule or regulation require. The certification shall be retained by the dealer and shall be made available for inspection by any law enforcement officer at any reasonable time."

The implication there seems to be that you need to furnish the FID card to the seller in person, so you would either need to meet them somewhere or they would have to personally deliver the firearm in person (which is common for private sales). But I suppose you could make the argument that you could furnish all of those things in person, and then they could simply ship the firearm to your house later after you have done so?

• Like 1

Correct...

AIM Surplus, for example, only lists pistols as not to be sold to C&R licensees. Above that, they list our assault weapon legislation, and guns not allowed to be sent here. Nothing about rifles/shotguns.
  • Like 1

Hmm. Interesting. 2C:58-2a(4) says this:
" (4) No rifle or shotgun, except antique rifles or shotguns, shall be delivered to any person unless such person possesses and exhibits a valid firearms purchaser identification card and furnishes the seller, on the form prescribed by the superintendent, a certification signed by him setting forth his name, permanent address, firearms purchaser identification card number and such other information as the superintendent may by rule or regulation require. The certification shall be retained by the dealer and shall be made available for inspection by any law enforcement officer at any reasonable time."
The implication there seems to be that you need to furnish the FID card to the seller in person, so you would either need to meet them somewhere or they would have to personally deliver the firearm in person (which is common for private sales). But I suppose you could make the argument that you could furnish all of those things in person, and then they could simply ship the firearm to your house later after you have done so?

Exactly.

Now read the new signed law and how it defaults to Federal Law in regards to FFL03 and C&R Firearms.