Sign in to follow this  
M4BGRINGO

Co-witnessing

Not sure if this should be here, or in the Optics section.

Anyway, have a Ruger PC9 with the lowest mount possible for my Romeo5 red dot. Can not use the stock iron sights. I would like to see them, even if they are somewhere in the bottom of the optics lens. Is that 1/3 co-witness? I was thinking of using the taller mount that came with the optic, but I really like where it sits now. The taller sight may allow me to look under the optic and see the stock sights, maybe.... But don't want it that high up anyway.

The rear sight is adjustable, I can raise it up a lot, maybe enough to use, but the front sight is fixed. Can I machine a spacer to go under it and raise it up? I don't see why not. Then the front and rear sights will be back to level, anything wrong with doing this?

I ask because the sight came loose during a match and I had no way to use the stock sights to finish the stage. Had loctited the optics mounting screw, but it came loose anyway.

3 hours ago, M4BGRINGO said:

Not sure if this should be here, or in the Optics section.

Anyway, have a Ruger PC9 with the lowest mount possible for my Romeo5 red dot. Can not use the stock iron sights. I would like to see them, even if they are somewhere in the bottom of the optics lens. Is that 1/3 co-witness? I was thinking of using the taller mount that came with the optic, but I really like where it sits now. The taller sight may allow me to look under the optic and see the stock sights, maybe.... But don't want it that high up anyway.

The rear sight is adjustable, I can raise it up a lot, maybe enough to use, but the front sight is fixed. Can I machine a spacer to go under it and raise it up? I don't see why not. Then the front and rear sights will be back to level, anything wrong with doing this?

I ask because the sight came loose during a match and I had no way to use the stock sights to finish the stage. Had loctited the optics mounting screw, but it came loose anyway.

Not answering all your questions but you can't raise the front sight alone.  You'll only result in lowering the point of impact to the point of not being able to lower your rear sight enough to compensate for raising the front.

The only option I can suggest is using the higher see through mount with your red dot.  Get a lace on cheek pad to raise your cheek weld on the stock.  If you have to wind up using the irons you can just twist the cheek pad down.