Stonecoldchavez

Mitchell's Mausers

ROFLMFAO I think that is the best acronym to use for Mitchell's Mausers and the word Premium in the same sentence.

If you want a Yugo Mauser with fake German Stamps that has been refinished go for it.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Okay guys, tell me how you really feel.... lol.  

@Capt14k   Can explain in a little more detail?     

From my understanding the Nazi's took over the Yugo production plant. The rifle is a M48 and according to the certificate he showed me, has been in storage since WW2. It also has all matching part numbers. 

So is the rifle no good or the asking price? 

Here is a bit of information on Mitchell as i am somewhat familiar of where he s been getting them for years. 

Many of Mitchells mausers come from Ex-Yugoslavia successor states where they were sitting in surplus National Guard armories since the early 50s. Yes, The Nazis did take over the production in the 1941-1944 time periods but these guns were made after Tito`s conflict with Stalin in the 1948-1953 tim period.

I ve seen pictures of him purchasing them from the Macedonian Army depots in the early 90s when i lived over there. They have no collector value as he embellishes the story behind them and he s been known to re stamp old guns and surplus guns that were used (most were in storage but some issued during the 90s Yugo Wars). So although he claims this you dont have a guarantee that you ll get a 100% never fired gun as Mitchells refinishes some of them and nowadays most i believe.

As they became obsolete with the SKS being introduced in the 50s because it was a semi and became the standard Yugo Army Rifle until 1972 (AKs started being issued) they still remained in storage and ultimately were sold to Mitchell and surplus dealers for sales in Canada,US and such. They also were used in classrooms for demonstration and learning the gun and disassembly (we had preparatory classes for 2 years to prepare you for mandatory service) as well as going to the range and shooting them when you "Graduate". I was in the last generation of recruits that went through this process training on an M48 and had an SKS issued to me in Basic Training for 3 months.

What you do get is a new shooter grade gun....which you can use and shoot and hunt maybe (a Slovenian acquaintance of mine hunts with it in Alaska). 

I have one that i bought from a forum member a few years ago and its an M48. 

Okay guys, tell me how you really feel.... lol.  [mention=8404]Capt14k[/mention]   Can explain in a little more detail?      From my understanding the Nazi's took over the Yugo production plant. The rifle is a M48 and according to the certificate he showed me, has been in storage since WW2. It also has all matching part numbers. 

That is not true.  

M48 is an intermediate action post war Mauser. Nazis did not take over Yugo Mausers. It is the other way around. Yugoslavia post war ended up with K98k. Yugoslavia added their stamps and sometimes left Nazi marks. They call that a M98/48 also Gew 98 were converted to M98/48 as well.

Those morons at Mitchell's have gotten away with that BS story somehow. There is no way Nazi marks were added to an intermediate action Mauser made in 1948 of later except by Mitchell's adding them.

I

• Like 1

From my understanding the Nazi's took over the Yugo production plant. The rifle is a M48 and according to the certificate he showed me, has been in storage since WW2. It also has all matching part numbers. 

How did the Nazis take over production of a rifle line that started in 1948? Last time I checked, World War II ended in 1945...

Screwball and others are correct. Yugoslavian M48's are all postwar made, from 1948 until sometime in the early 50's. Yugoslavian 24/47 model rifles are pre world war 2 rifles that were in existence during world war 2 and were refurbished starting in 1947. If the price is good and you want a great shooting rifle, buy it. I have an M48 and a 24/47 that are both really accurate.

I have a near perfect all matching Yugo M48A for sale sans fake Mitchell's Nazi stamps. At least it has some collector value. The A is the same except a couple parts were stamped.

Here is a bit of information on Mitchell as i am somewhat familiar of where he s been getting them for years. 
Many of Mitchells mausers come from Ex-Yugoslavia successor states where they were sitting in surplus National Guard armories since the early 50s. Yes, The Nazis did take over the production in the 1941-1944 time periods but these guns were made after Tito`s conflict with Stalin in the 1948-1953 tim period.
I ve seen pictures of him purchasing them from the Macedonian Army depots in the early 90s when i lived over there. They have no collector value as he embellishes the story behind them and he s been known to re stamp old guns and surplus guns that were used (most were in storage but some issued during the 90s Yugo Wars). So although he claims this you dont have a guarantee that you ll get a 100% never fired gun as Mitchells refinishes some of them and nowadays most i believe.
As they became obsolete with the SKS being introduced in the 50s because it was a semi and became the standard Yugo Army Rifle until 1972 (AKs started being issued) they still remained in storage and ultimately were sold to Mitchell and surplus dealers for sales in Canada,US and such. They also were used in classrooms for demonstration and learning the gun and disassembly (we had preparatory classes for 2 years to prepare you for mandatory service) as well as going to the range and shooting them when you "Graduate". I was in the last generation of recruits that went through this process training on an M48 and had an SKS issued to me in Basic Training for 3 months.
What you do get is a new shooter grade gun....which you can use and shoot and hunt maybe (a Slovenian acquaintance of mine hunts with it in Alaska). 
I have one that i bought from a forum member a few years ago and its an M48. 
Thank you for the direct knowledge.

However the Nazis never actually produced rifles in Yugoslavia as far as I know. They closed the Uzice factory soon after taking it over April 15, 1941, and focused on industries related to aircraft production in other Yugoslavian factories. They felt most of the arms found were of second class. The partisans on October 10, 1941 reoccupied the factory and found 15,000 Gew 98 barrels and other parts and began assembling rifles.

According to what i recall form reading some Yugo forums long time ago the production was moved to Germany along with Machines and some workers. So you are correct on this.  Zastava was never in the town of Uzice but in Kragujevac.  The ammo factory is in Uzice (PPU). 

According to what i recall form reading some Yugo forums long time ago the production was moved to Germany along with Machines and some workers. So you are correct on this.  Zastava was never in the town of Uzice but in Kragujevac.  The ammo factory is in Uzice (PPU). 

I was quoting Branko's book. I don't recall him mentioning Zastava. He definitely writes Uzice. Was Zastava damaged beyond use or run by Hungarians?

I heavent read Branko`s book but as he is the supreme authority on all Yugo Mausers unlike Mitchell ha ha......
It is filled with stats. I wish I bought 10 of them when they were $20. Last I saw they were over $100.

I'd buy one but for 2-225 area

Non matching not great condition that would be the right price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I have several (non Mitchell's) Yugo Mausers for sale if anyone is looking for one - 24/47, M48A, M48B

All are very nice

Any Yugo Contract All Matching? Syrian, Iranian, Egyptian?

7 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Non matching not great condition that would be the right price.

Any Yugo Contract All Matching? Syrian, Iranian, Egyptian?

Not in front of them right now, but from what I recall these were all matching, nice condition, older imports. I don't recall any of them being contract Mausers. I'll need to look at them again.

2 hours ago, capt14k said:

Need more pics. You sure it isnt a Czech vz24 used by Germans and then converted to a Yugo M98? 

Or could be a post war Czech K98k

CS BERNO appears to be the wrong spelling for Czech, I have always seen it Spelled BRNO.  Also not German, they spell it Brunn. Not Yugoslavian as they usually use Cyrillic. Maybe some other Eastern European or Turkish? 

Unusual marking. 

Post it in the K98 forum on gunboards. Some serious knowledge there!

It's a byf 41 date. I can't find anything about what those other markings mean and don't know what language it's in - certainly not German.

Can you post more pics. Sides and top of receiver and barrel. Stock markings. Waffenampts,Lions, or any other type of mark.

More I look I am thinking Chinese Knockoff. Definitely need more pics. Whole thing can be fake.

Four years back, I paid $295 for an excellent condition M48A, with bayonet. Immaculate shape. Not Mitchell.

Looking at realistic GunBroker sale prices... probably between $350 and $450. I’d likely say on the lower end, due to Mitchell. I see some outliers in the $600 to $700 range... but it will sit unless you get someone ignorant of surplus rifles, that just wants a “Mauser.” It’s a shooter... pretty much.

Don't expect $1,900... like the one Mitchell M48 I saw on that sale search; “Nazi Matching.”