Lambo2936

Any South Jersey Shooting Club members?

Just moved to Glassboro from CNJ (East Brunswick). Range 14 is still an hr away but this place looks awesome, has great reviews on google (4.6), and appears to only be 250$ a year. The guest limit of 2 versus the 3 im used to sucks, and its 15$ per guest which is steep IMO, as i love bringing guests... is there a time limit? Does it get extremely packed IE waiting periods like R14?

Steel allowed? At what distance?

RO's cool or Nazis?

Thanks guys! Pretty pumped about this place. Its only 23 or so minutes away which is about the same as Walmart... lol

2 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Just moved to Glassboro from CNJ (East Brunswick). Range 14 is still an hr away but this place looks awesome, has great reviews on google (4.6), and appears to only be 250$ a year. The guest limit of 2 versus the 3 im used to sucks, and its 15$ per guest which is steep IMO, as i love bringing guests... is there a time limit? Does it get extremely packed IE waiting periods like R14?

RO's cool or Nazis?

Thanks guys! Pretty pumped about this place. Its only 23 or so minutes away which is about the same as Walmart... lol

Let me try to answer your questions one at a time.

I've been a member at SJSC since 2006. I'm one of the RSO's and also one of the Youth Rifle Instructors (Tues afternoons, ages 10 to 17).

I shoot on the SJSC High Power Rifle Team (100yd TriCounty League) and compete in the 200yd NRA Approved Matches and the wintertime 300yd Frozen Nutz matches. I also run the CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches (there's one this Sunday morning at 10AM) and do the stats for all of these competitions.

There is NO TIME LIMIT on your guest-bringing day other than the range hours. By Winslow Twp ordinance, the range is hot from 9AM to dark Mon-Sat and from 10AM to dark on Sun.

There is generally no wait to get onto the range of your choice. At the moment, the 7-10-15yd handgun range is closed, but we are hopeful of receiving a zoning board variance to re-open it. The 25yd handgun-caliber range has targets at 7 and 15 yd for those who want to shoot paper closer than 25. You may shoot steel at 25yd with handgun-caliber firearms on the 25. (.223/5.56 and 5.7 are NOT considered handgun caliber and are not permitted on the 25)

The 50, 100, and 300yd ranges are all open to steel and paper at their full distances. You may shoot from closer (i.e. 200yd) on the 300 range if all shooters at that time agree. Obviously, if you're the only one on the 300 (as happens a lot, especially during the week) you're free to set up downrange until either you're done or someone wants to shoot a longer distance than you.

The RSO crew is pretty laid back, with our job to keep the range safe for everyone. Empty chamber indicators are a must a SJSC. There is a flag system on the line: RED is HOT and GREEN is NO HANDLING OF FIREARMS on or behind the line.

The Chief RSO's (Fred and Dan) run new member orientations on the 2nd and 4th Sunday every month at 10AM. $250 individual or $350 family membership per year. NRA membership required.

Come check it out. I'm the RSO on duty tomorrow (Sat 7/21) from 10-4

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

RO's cool or Nazis?

Great Club. Shooting 0900 till sunset xcept Sundays 10. Steel allowed at 25yds. plus. RO's Are good people and rarely if ever there except weekends. No time limits on range use other than simple courtesy. The $15.00 per guest is way to high IMHO $5-8 would be more reasonable, but it is what it is.

Your guest limit complaint I really don't have an issue with. I personally only bring (1) guest at a time and generally they are new shooters which you have to watch carefully. A ND from a guest shooter; the axe falls on your neck. I could never split my attention three ways and be comfortable, but that is just me.

I have been a member there for quite awhile now and have never had to wait, but then I only shoot during weekdays.

1 hour ago, Salty said:

Great Club. Shooting 0900 till sunset xcept Sundays 10. Steel allowed at 25yds. plus. RO's Are good people and rarely if ever there except weekends. No time limits on range use other than simple courtesy. The $15.00 per guest is way to high IMHO $5-8 would be more reasonable, but it is what it is.

Your guest limit complaint I really don't have an issue with. I personally only bring (1) guest at a time and generally they are new shooters which you have to watch carefully. A ND from a guest shooter; the axe falls on your neck. I could never split my attention three ways and be comfortable, but that is just me.

I have been a member there for quite awhile now and have never had to wait, but then I only shoot during weekdays.

One at a time shoots, obviously. My guests are typically current/former Mil as well, or people who were raised around firearms,so i dont have to babysit them for the most part. 

1 hour ago, njJoniGuy said:

Let me try to answer your questions one at a time.

I've been a member at SJSC since 2006. I'm one of the RSO's and also one of the Youth Rifle Instructors (Tues afternoons, ages 10 to 17).

I shoot on the SJSC High Power Rifle Team (100yd TriCounty League) and compete in the 200yd NRA Approved Matches and the wintertime 300yd Frozen Nutz matches. I also run the CMP Rimfire Sporter Matches (there's one this Sunday morning at 10AM) and do the stats for all of these competitions.

There is NO TIME LIMIT on your guest-bringing day other than the range hours. By Winslow Twp ordinance, the range is hot from 9AM to dark Mon-Sat and from 10AM to dark on Sun.

There is generally no wait to get onto the range of your choice. At the moment, the 7-10-15yd handgun range is closed, but we are hopeful of receiving a zoning board variance to re-open it. The 25yd handgun-caliber range has targets at 7 and 15 yd for those who want to shoot paper closer than 25. You may shoot steel at 25yd with handgun-caliber firearms on the 25. (.223/5.56 and 5.7 are NOT considered handgun caliber and are not permitted on the 25)

The 50, 100, and 300yd ranges are all open to steel and paper at their full distances. You may shoot from closer (i.e. 200yd) on the 300 range if all shooters at that time agree. Obviously, if you're the only one on the 300 (as happens a lot, especially during the week) you're free to set up downrange until either you're done or someone wants to shoot a longer distance than you.

The RSO crew is pretty laid back, with our job to keep the range safe for everyone. Empty chamber indicators are a must a SJSC. There is a flag system on the line: RED is HOT and GREEN is NO HANDLING OF FIREARMS on or behind the line.

The Chief RSO's (Fred and Dan) run new member orientations on the 2nd and 4th Sunday every month at 10AM. $250 individual or $350 family membership per year. NRA membership required.

Come check it out. I'm the RSO on duty tomorrow (Sat 7/21) from 10-4

Awesome! I may be off tomorrow and if so id love to seing by to take a look. Non members are allowed to peek at what they are buyin before committing right?

TBH up by me the range wanted 600$ the first year and like 300 a year after or maybe even more, i think the 600 was a 1 time buy in, along with the 300 yearly for the first year..

Guest limited to twice a year, thats it.... kinda annoying because itd mean id need multiple memberships to bring my fiance with me once in a while, plus she doesnt have her FID. This place sounds right up my alley, im excited as hell.

SJSC is a good range, notice all of the previous comments were positive, and I can attest to all of them being true.

Just for the hell of it, check out Quinton Sportsman’s Club down in Salem County. Another great club here in South Jersey. Quinton is better suited if you have any shot guns in your arsenal. They also run some of the best USPSA, IDPA, and 3-Gun matches (all local matches).

While you’re there, stop in at EMS Cafe, grab yourself a pork roll and egg sandwich....

• Like 1

I've never been to SJSC, but I live 4 miles from the Quinton Sportsmen's Club and it's definitely worth a look.  www.quintonsportsmensclub.com  Membership is $100/yr ($300 the first year for membership + background check).  Events schedule is on their website, but there's something different just about every weekend.  With your membership, you can bring family members + 2 guest with you.  Family and guest don't have to pay to shoot during free range time but you must be present with guest and family when they are there.  Events are open to the public and have entry fees, members get a discount.  Events have ROs, but open range time rules are set up for shooters to police themselves.  In my opinion the only thing someone could say negative about the whole facility is that the big rifle range longest distance is 200m.  But it has target backers at 50, 75, 100, 150 and 200 and a TON of benches.  I'd say check the schedule for an event, come participate and have a member show you around.       

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Nucrunner said:

SJSC is a good range, notice all of the previous comments were positive, and I can attest to all of them being true.

Just for the hell of it, check out Quinton Sportsman’s Club down in Salem County. Another great club here in South Jersey. Quinton is better suited if you have any shot guns in your arsenal. They also run some of the best USPSA, IDPA, and 3-Gun matches (all local matches).

While you’re there, stop in at EMS Cafe, grab yourself a pork roll and egg sandwich....

Steel challenge is now at Quinton too, first Saturday of the month. The high power rifle match is also blast, it's nothing like a CMP match it's just run what ya bung all knock down steel. There is a couple of .22 matches I don't know much about but are pretty popular. 

Like regular guy said all matches are open to the public.

It sounds like a busy place but you can go pretty much anytime and have a bay all to yourself if your into that kind of thing.

The sporting clays is second to none if you ask me, trap, 5 stand and skeet is all there as well. 

For $100 a year it's a no brainer.

Fantastic, im going to check out both. Having something this close is worth darn near anything, given that im used to driving about an hour and then waiting an hr or 2 for a spot when its nice out. Being 20something minutes away means i can grab a rifle and head out whenever i please. Wish it had a 24hr Handgun caliber range, thatd make it perfect.

I shoot 200yds now, and its fine with my ARs shooting at steel. 300 would be great for my bolt gun but not a must, i can live without it. Being able to shoot steel closer than 200 (100 yds or even 50yds) is a must.. R14 is 200yds only, and i want a dueling tree. Lol

Also if you want anything made let me know. I make it all, poppres, dueling poppers, knock down steel with stands, target stands, steel challenge sets, pretty much anything you can think of. 

20180710_170719.jpg

1 hour ago, louu said:

I think Fazzios had a dueling tree for $200 brand new, if you get it lmk so we can do some racing, don't worry I'm not that good.

Yeah!! Thats the one, haha. Always wanted it but at 200yds its a bit difficult.

Im a shit shot too, i just like shooting LOL.

Ill let you know man, i have a few plates with a black pipe stand i made that has worked well for now. Not sure what these ranges have so i'll see if i need to modify or upgrade my rig once i get a chance to visit them.

Pop up targets would be cool. My buddy hit my black pipe stand with a rd of 223 and it survived, but not sure itll survive a 2nd.. may try welding the hole shut.. it went in but didnt come out, just left a huge bulge lol.

15 hours ago, louu said:

It sounds like a busy place but you can go pretty much anytime and have a bay all to yourself if your into that kind of thing.

It used to be... but now with all the gun games that are both days just about every weekend taking up most/sometimes all of the ranges members with big boy jobs that can only go on the weekends and don’t want to play all the games are out of luck until they pack up their anodized multi colored bling bling blasters :rolleyes:lol

9 hours ago, pjd832 said:

It used to be... but now with all the gun games that are both days just about every weekend taking up most/sometimes all of the ranges members with big boy jobs that can only go on the weekends and don’t want to play all the games are out of luck until they pack up their anodized multi colored bling bling blasters :rolleyes:lol

I have a somewhat flexible schedule and usually shoot during the week, but yeah sounds like that could get annoying if things were to change as far as my schedule goes.

On 7/20/2018 at 8:40 PM, Nucrunner said:

I was checking out Quintons site.. nothing as far as "Amenities"

What do they have there? Thanks!

3 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

I have a somewhat flexible schedule and usually shoot during the week, but yeah sounds like that could get annoying if things were to change as far as my schedule goes.

It is I travel a lot for work (fly) then when I finally get home on a weekend off and wife and I want to just go spend some quality range time together check the club calendar and there’s Saturday &Sunday events 7-3...8-5 etc kinda sucks but as far as the facility it pretty nice and peaceful (prior to the trying to make it a competition center) if you have free time during the week it’s a great option.... just wish the club considered the hundreds of members wishes instead of the 5 guys pushing events that have 10-30 vehicles I see on the days I didn’t look at the schedule and just went ......basically something every weekend from March to December taking up 50-90%of the ranges 

rant off lol

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pjd832 said:

It is I travel a lot for work (fly) then when I finally get home on a weekend off and wife and I want to just go spend some quality range time together check the club calendar and there’s Saturday &Sunday events 7-3...8-5 etc kinda sucks but as far as the facility it pretty nice and peaceful (prior to the trying to make it a competition center) if you have free time during the week it’s a great option.... just wish the club considered the hundreds of members wishes instead of the 5 guys pushing events that have 10-30 vehicles I see on the days I didn’t look at the schedule and just went ......basically something every weekend from March to December taking up 50-90%of the ranges 

rant off lol

Yeah, sounds inconsiderate. They should do every other weekend or something like that.

Anyhow, maybe ill catch you there sometime haha. Once this rain clears up ill be checking out both ranges and getting a membership.

On 7/21/2018 at 6:13 AM, louu said:

Also if you want anything made let me know. I make it all, poppres, dueling poppers, knock down steel with stands, target stands, steel challenge sets, pretty much anything you can think of. 

20180710_170719.jpg

Lou, can you make a steel that goes down but comes back up without having to be set by hand?

1 hour ago, Haddoncoach said:

Lou, can you make a steel that goes down but comes back up without having to be set by hand?

I have with the same poppers but you have to shoot it in the head with 223 to get it to move, 308 moves them just fine. I copied the MGM ones, you can go on his website to see a video. The videos are all separate though for the different guns and he's not very clear about what he's shooting it with. Pistols barely move it. 

The easiest thing to do is just hang a plate from a saw horse with some chain, 223 moves it just fine.

On 7/22/2018 at 4:34 AM, Lambo2936 said:

Yeah, sounds inconsiderate. They should do every other weekend or something like that.

Anyhow, maybe ill catch you there sometime haha. Once this rain clears up ill be checking out both ranges and getting a membership.

It's really nothing like big boy makes it sound. Yeah there's matches that the club unanimously approved at the meetings. 

Idpa only takes up 3 of the small ranges and is over and packed up by noon. There are still plenty of other similar ranges to use when it's going on. 

3 gun uses 4 of the smaller ranges and is packed up by 1 and there is still a pistol range open for anyone. Same for uspsa.

With those matches the massive rifle ranges are open to everyone as well as all the shotgun stuff. 

The matches that do take place on the rifle range are over by 11am and they don't use the separate 100 yard rifle range or any other ranges.

Long post short, there is always some kind of shooting to be done by the antisocial shooters.

I have no idea why people are scared to shoot matches, you will meet some of the funniest people and always have a good time. 

Not that this is a rant but rant over, gotta get back to my man career.

26 minutes ago, louu said:

It's really nothing like big boy makes it sound. Yeah there's matches that the club unanimously approved at the meetings. 

Idpa only takes up 3 of the small ranges and is over and packed up by noon. There are still plenty of other similar ranges to use when it's going on. 

3 gun uses 4 of the smaller ranges and is packed up by 1 and there is still a pistol range open for anyone. Same for uspsa.

With those matches the massive rifle ranges are open to everyone as well as all the shotgun stuff. 

The matches that do take place on the rifle range are over by 11am and they don't use the separate 100 yard rifle range or any other ranges.

Long post short, there is always some kind of shooting to be done by the antisocial shooters.

I have no idea why people are scared to shoot matches, you will meet some of the funniest people and always have a good time. 

Not that this is a rant but rant over, gotta get back to my man career.

Dont matter to me regardless, most of my shooting will be done on weekdays. Made a habit of it thanks to Range 14 wait periods on nicer days. I shoot to blow off steam and for fun moreso than for competitive purposes; that is, idc about accuracy as long as i hear the steel ring lol. Fact of the matter is in general im not the best shot. Im decent at best lol. I just enjoy it, i shoot because im great at it. Shooting competition would likely just be embarassing haha.

17 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Fact of the matter is in general im not the best shot. Im decent at best lol. I just enjoy it, i shoot because im great at it. Shooting competition would likely just be embarassing haha.

Don’t look at these shoots as a “Compitetion”, look at them as just the next step from putting holes in paper (or ringing steel). Bunch of great peoples (male and female), for the most part out to have fun and work through defensive scenarios. Don’t need fancy equipment (but you’ll see some) center fire pistol, holster, 3 mags, 2 mag carriers, and 100 rounds (bring 150 just in case). 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lambo2936 said:

Dont matter to me regardless, most of my shooting will be done on weekdays. Made a habit of it thanks to Range 14 wait periods on nicer days. I shoot to blow off steam and for fun moreso than for competitive purposes; that is, idc about accuracy as long as i hear the steel ring lol. Fact of the matter is in general im not the best shot. Im decent at best lol. I just enjoy it, i shoot because im great at it. Shooting competition would likely just be embarassing haha.

2/3 of the people that shoot matches are on the same skill level as you. Obviously I've never seen you shoot but I know this to be fact. They are just out there to have fun, learn something from like minded people and shoot cool/different targets.

Steel challenge is his saturday, grab a 9mm or a 22 and come on out.

Hey folks. Revisiting this now that i have time to join and am debating between quinton (35 mins away) and SJ (23-25 mind away).

Anyone have experience with both? I contacted them to maybe go and take a look later today after i nap but will see what happens. Just wondering what each offers as far as ranges, equipment, etc... go. Quinton seems cheaper in the long run by far and it looks like FREE guests? SJ is 15$ per guest... i usually bring people so that alone could save me 150$/year if not more... on the other hand those 10+ minutes make a big difference. 23 minutes is like drivin to walmart from here...

I was actually looking at another range, I am sooooo tired of the R14 BS. This range looks awesome, no required club meeting BS and no community service BS. I just wish it was closer to me, 65 miles is quite a hike, but it might be worth it if there is no time limit, and annual fees are certainly great compared to every other club.

Question about the family membership. Does it cover the entire immediate family or just 1 additional person. In other words, will $350 cover myself, my wife, my older son, and my younger son when he turns 10?

14 minutes ago, Lambo2936 said:

Hey folks. Revisiting this now that i have time to join and am debating between quinton (35 mins away) and SJ (23-25 mind away).

Anyone have experience with both? I contacted them to maybe go and take a look later today after i nap but will see what happens. Just wondering what each offers as far as ranges, equipment, etc... go. Quinton seems cheaper in the long run by far and it looks like FREE guests? SJ is 15$ per guest... i usually bring people so that alone could save me 150$/year if not more... on the other hand those 10+ minutes make a big difference. 23 minutes is like drivin to walmart from here...

I have experience at neither as far as shooting goes.  I did go to Bangers Sportsmen's Fest the last year they had it (right before Bangers closed) and we were truly disappointed in the Fudd mentality & anti-2A sentiment.  My suggestion would be to go and shoot some leagues:  IDPA, USPSA, Clays, etc. to get a "feel" of each range.  Anyone that posts about warehouse break-ins & arming themselves should go to a club that at least hosts some action shooting, cause you'll learn a LOT!  Pick the club that you'll learn stuff through osmosis & stop worrying about a few bucks one way or the other.  The VALUE of your LIFE is what exactly?  A $15 dollar guest fee or 5 extra minutes to get there?  Just sayin....

I belong to both...

I’ve been a member of SJSC for 6 years, I joined Quinton just last year.

I’m 19 miles from SJSC, and 35 miles from Quinton. 

Hands down, if I had to give up one right now, it would be SJSC, so much more going on at Quinton. I shoot at least 2 of the competitive sports per month at Quinton. Members get a $5 discount at each event, so just the discounts pay for my membership (after the initiation fee).

SJSC is good for me to get out for a quick 100 - 200 rounds of target practice. There seems to be more restrictions at SJSC (no holster draws being the big one). Also, not much you can do with a shotgun at SJSC (5 stand, trap, skeet, and sporting clays at Quinton).

Tough call, I guess it depends on how much and what kind of experience you are looking for. 

Suggest you look at Quintons calendar and come down for one of the events to check it out - membership is not required for most of the events.

I have friends and family members that are happy with USANA, and Mullica Hill Rifle and Pistol Club. I also hear of folks happy with Telco. 

• Like 1

The 3 gun match at Quinton is this sunday 9-1:30 if you want to come check it out. Also the kitchen and all the shotgun stuff will be open. Bring your SG and shoot a quick round of trap or if you have time the sporting clays is amazing, that takes about an hour and a half. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MartyZ said:

I was actually looking at another range, I am sooooo tired of the R14 BS. This range looks awesome, no required club meeting BS and no community service BS. I just wish it was closer to me, 65 miles is quite a hike, but it might be worth it if there is no time limit, and annual fees are certainly great compared to every other club.

Question about the family membership. Does it cover the entire immediate family or just 1 additional person. In other words, will $350 cover myself, my wife, my older son, and my younger son when he turns 10?

Marty Z,

Member, spouse, all children (under 21 I believe) and living at home I believe it also includes parents if living under your roof. You just simply list them on your application.

Jerry