Zeke

KFC or Popeyes

Don’t eat either one... fast food fried chicken is crap.

Ill give you my mommas fried chicken recipe. Epic fried chicken ain’t rocket surgery.  Mom used to make this for Sunday dinner. She started it on Friday night. 

Brine your chicken pieces overnight in a mix of brown sugar, and kosher salt, and water. 

Remove from brine, and soak it in buttermilk overnight. 

After that, dredge it in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 

Fry it in peanut oil in a cast iron skillet at 375 until it gets a nice scald on it. It won’t be fully cooked through at his point. Take it out of the oil, and place it on a wire rack, put it in the oven at 350 while you cook the rest of the bird. In about 20 mins, it’ll be cooked through. 

You’ll thank me later...

• Like 6

Popeyes by far.  Better breading, less greasy chicken.  Spicy/Mild choice is great.  Side choices are better at Popeyes too.  Fries are better.  Also - 2 words:  Cajun Sparkle.  If you haven't tried that stuff, do it!

The only thing I like more from KFC is the Mashed Potato Bowl with popcorn chicken, corn, and gravy...  But 1 dish does not a winner make.

• Like 1

Homemade is always best, of course... but if you have a sudden fried chicken craving one night, you might not have the time or the patience for all that brining, soaking, breading and frying (cuz that's a helluva lot of waiting!...). In those cases, Popeye's is a quick, quilty pleasure. It has my vote!

And a bunch of famous chefs appear to agree: https://firstwefeast.com/eat/2016/01/chefs-love-popeyes

I actually find the fried chicken from Acme to be better than KFC! I like Popeyes but they seem to vary significantly in quality from location to location. I actually think the chicken sandwiches from Wendy's are better than Chick-Fil-A. The problem with hood chicken is more often than I like it leaves you praying to the porcelain throne, either top or bottom with some bacteria growth of an undetermined origin! 

39 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

I like Popeyes but they seem to vary significantly in quality from location to location.

Yep.  The Popeye's in Eatontown is like that.  Chicken 50/50 chance you will get a good meal.  everything else is overcooked.  The spicy curly fries are the cat's ass though.

54 minutes ago, Shane45 said:

I actually find the fried chicken from Acme to be better than KFC! I like Popeyes but they seem to vary significantly in quality from location to location. I actually think the chicken sandwiches from Wendy's are better than Chick-Fil-A. The problem with hood chicken is more often than I like it leaves you praying to the porcelain throne, either top or bottom with some bacteria growth of an undetermined origin! 

The thing is, you douse it enough Yi Pin hot sauce packets that it begins to work as a disinfectant!

^^^ This. Acme fried chicken is the best in this area and I've tried them all.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

KFC and Popeyes are about equal. Church's I found better, but you really take your life in your hands going to one of them. I think I have had it twice but both times were good. In NJ Chicken Galore has all 3 of them beat, but I am sure there is better than Chicken Galore too. Chicken & More in Howell used to be the best.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On 7/21/2018 at 8:06 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Don’t eat either one... fast food fried chicken is crap.

Ill give you my mommas fried chicken recipe. Epic fried chicken ain’t rocket surgery.  Mom used to make this for Sunday dinner. She started it on Friday night. 

Brine your chicken pieces overnight in a mix of brown sugar, and kosher salt, and water. 

Remove from brine, and soak it in buttermilk overnight. 

After that, dredge it in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 

Fry it in peanut oil in a cast iron skillet at 375 until it gets a nice scald on it. It won’t be fully cooked through at his point. Take it out of the oil, and place it on a wire rack, put it in the oven at 350 while you cook the rest of the bird. In about 20 mins, it’ll be cooked through. 

You’ll thank me later...

I got my best cookin' girls on it!

You must have something there, I know Texas and those people can back their Boasting!

Thanks for sharing....

Re OP

I like both for a take out meal, once in a while. The sides are better at Popeyes, though.

• Like 1