Zeke

KFC or Popeyes

4 hours ago, Downtownv said:

I got my best cookin' girls on it!

You must have something there, I know Texas and those people can back their Boasting!

Thanks for sharing...

Try it...you’ll love it. The brine keeps the chicken moist, and the buttermilk makes it very tender. 

Mom has been gone for 15 years, but I still make her recipes. Keeps her close to me in my mind, and brings back a lot of memories of her. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TokenEntry said:

I like the sides that both places offer, but prefer the chicken more at Popeyes. I wish Roy Rogers was still around or one that is close by.

Regards,

TokenEntry

Besides rest areas, there's one in Flemington on Route 31.  I've stopped by the one at the New Baltimore rest area on 87 in NY.  

Just now, High Exposure said:

They built a brand new Roy Rogers where the old Arby’s was in Edison on Rt 1 North. It closed in less than a year.

Didn't really build it - they remodeled the building... but the location was horrible.  If you open it in the proper location you'd be fine.

6 minutes ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Kennedy or Crown FTW

About 9 years ago I had Kennedy's chicken in So. Plainfield.  It was definitely some of the best chicken I'd ever had.  Only problem is, I had about a 1:10 chance of getting shot or caught up in a fight since the restaurant was lousy with Bloods.  It's a hot spot for gang violence.

Besides rest areas, there's one in Flemington on Route 31.  I've stopped by the one at the New Baltimore rest area on 87 in NY.  

Beachwood isn't open still? According to Google it is. Opens at 7am. They list it as Pine Beach. That Roy Roger's has been there for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Limited to KFC and popeyes, I'll take popeyes most of the time. 

Occaisonally I want some KFC crispy tenders and gravy. But at that point I'd say I'm not really enjoying fried chicken proper. 

On 7/24/2018 at 8:53 AM, Displaced Texan said:

Try it...you’ll love it. The brine keeps the chicken moist, and the buttermilk makes it very tender. 

Mom has been gone for 15 years, but I still make her recipes. Keeps her close to me in my mind, and brings back a lot of memories of her. 

Ok Cowboy, you're Momma's recipe is on the weekend menu!

I'll let you know, the outcome!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Displaced Texan said:

Awesome!! What time is dinner and what is your address?? 

Displaced Texan Texas Fried Chicken Momma's Recipe Review;

I had one of my best gourmet cooks assist me in this venture, we started with about 5 lbs of chicken; 2 split breast,3 drumsticks.

Brined, butter milked and double dipped in the flour mixture.

2 cast Iron skillets a little less than 1/2" peanut oil.

fried until golden brown and set on some brown paper to drain the oil.

Placed them in the oven straight on the racks like the recipe called for, with foil on the bottom to catch any drippings (this was the only fail) smoked like a '64 Plymouth. 

Transferred to baking sheets, problem solved. Baked for about 30 minutes and loaded up the Fried Chicken Platter. Paired perfectly with my wife's homemade Mac an cheese and roasted broccoli; a perfect meal! 

6 people sat down and EVERYONE was Amazed!

This is one bangin' recipe!

Perfect for a crappy Nor'easter Day!

This one Awesome recipe! family approved!

★★★★★'s

Displaced Texan

Strafford to LBI is about 50 minutes, YES we have cold fried chicken leftovers, so leave now!

IMG_5653.JPG

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Downtownv said:

Displaced Texan Texas Fried Chicken Momma's Recipe Review;

I had one of my best gourmet cooks assist me in this venture, we started with about 5 lbs of chicken; 2 split breast,3 drumsticks.

Brined, butter milked and double dipped in the flour mixture.

2 cast Iron skillets a little less than 1/2" peanut oil.

fried until golden brown and set on some brown paper to drain the oil.

Placed them in the oven straight on the racks like the recipe called for, with foil on the bottom to catch any drippings (this was the only fail) smoked like a '64 Plymouth. 

Transferred to baking sheets, problem solved. Baked for about 30 minutes and loaded up the Fried Chicken Platter. Paired perfectly with my wife's homemade Mac an cheese and roasted broccoli; a perfect meal! 

6 people sat down and EVERYONE was Amazed!

This is one bangin' recipe!

Perfect for a crappy Nor'easter Day!

This one Awesome recipe! family approved!

★★★★★'s

Displaced Texan

Strafford to LBI is about 50 minutes, YES we have cold fried chicken leftovers, so leave now!

IMG_5653.JPG

Yeehaw!!! Glad you enjoyed it. Looks just like my momma used to make. 

I’m hauling ass down Rt 70 as we speak...save a little for me!!

You know, we have a shotgun shoot and chili/bbq cook down your neck of the woods late April....you’re welcome to come, shoot some clays, eat some chili and bbq (and if you brought a mess of that chicken with you, it wouldn’t hurt our feelings !:p). 

Tex

• Like 2

On 7/21/2018 at 8:06 PM, Displaced Texan said:

Don’t eat either one... fast food fried chicken is crap.

Ill give you my mommas fried chicken recipe. Epic fried chicken ain’t rocket surgery.  Mom used to make this for Sunday dinner. She started it on Friday night. 

Brine your chicken pieces overnight in a mix of brown sugar, and kosher salt, and water. 

Remove from brine, and soak it in buttermilk overnight. 

After that, dredge it in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 

Fry it in peanut oil in a cast iron skillet at 375 until it gets a nice scald on it. It won’t be fully cooked through at his point. Take it out of the oil, and place it on a wire rack, put it in the oven at 350 while you cook the rest of the bird. In about 20 mins, it’ll be cooked through. 

You’ll thank me later...

also pretty much this ^

Well, i'm Jewish and don't eat Pork, so pop eyes is difficult; they put bacon in freakin EVERYTHING. Found out the hard way.
That said, their chicken IS better than KFC, but, KFC has grilled chicken, as well. Overall, KFC takes the win. If im feelin' tenders or the likes, though, popeyes tenders, fries, and chicken is 1000%  better than KFC.
Still far better stuff out there though..